“Our new favorite in Boston”

Mandarin Oriental, Boston
Ranked #15 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Needham, Massachusetts
“Our new favorite in Boston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We hesitated to try the MO as it is on busy Boylston Street & we feared it would be noisy. Not so. The rooms are stunning & quiet. The bathrooms are large & well equipped. The staff are friendly and very accommodating. The welcome tea is a lovely touch. I agree that the wi-fi charge is high but this seems to be increasingly common in many high end hotels. Room service is efficient and breakfast arrived within 20 minutes during our recent stay. Asana, the hotel restaurant, has a nice menu and very good food. Our car was brought up promptly when we called to request it. We were able to use the hotel car & driver to get to a wonderful North End restaurant, Tresca , on Saturday night and were spared dealing with traffic & parking frustration. As others have noted, the location is central for shopping, restaurants, theatre, etc.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the 7th & 8th floors, facing the street. Would choose these rooms again.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear nstearns,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Boston. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent experience and are thrilled to hear that your stay was a delight. We hope that we are able to welcome you back to Boston soon.

All the best,

General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Boston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

one night buainess trip. the rooms and large elegant and very well equipped. the bathrooms are huge with high end toileteries. service at check in and out was prompt and charming. service at breakfast ok food excellent. not cheap.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank ADL79
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Having stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in London and finding the place rather drab, I was slightly worried about their Boston hotel UNTIL WE ARRIVED! FABULOUS! We had smashing rooms, with the most exquisite bathrooms and found the restaurant excellent. The hotel is perfectly situated for exploring Boston. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful, in every area of hotel work. We had delicious late night snacks by the bar, plates of mini spring rolls being particularly popular. I personally rate the layout, decor and facilites of this hotel as a notch up from say the Georges V in Paris. There is always a seat in the restaurant and in the bar area, even when the place is more 'buzzing'. I loved this hotel and would probably rate it as the best hotel I've stayed in. Obviously it's 'big' and has the 'business' feel as well as being delightfully comfortable....it was the perfect hotel for our family (our children are 17 and 20 years old) and we loved staying there. Would go back without hesitation. TEN OUT OF TEN. Then we moved on to Newport, then on to Chatham Cape Cod.... I must write reviews for those hotels too! (Hotel Viking, Newport 5/10. Wequasset Resort 8/10).
NB: FROM THE MANDARIN ORIENTAL HOTEL BOSTON, YOU CAN WALK UNDERCOVER. THROUGH A SHOPPING MALL, TO THE PRUDENTIAL BUILDING AND EAT IN THEIR SKY HIGH RESTAURANT WITH MAGNIFICENT VIEWS. YOU CAN ALSO HAVE A DRINK IN THE BAR MORE CHEAPLY THAN PAYING TO LOOK OUT FROM THE FLOOR BELOW. ASK CONCIERGE ABOUT THIS. :-D Happy holidays!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mishmunnypenny
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

The MO Boston is a clean new hotel in a good location.

I stayed here a few times when the hotel first opened and thought my bad experiences were due to a hotel that was still finding it's feet.

Service isn't coordinated, so I spent a long time waiting for my welcome tea in my room and finally gave up and went to dinner. After dinner, my room hadn't been turned down even though the restaurant had made a production of asking for my room number when I sat down. They showed up at 10:30 to do turn down. The next morning, it was a long wait for my car. My experience was of always waiting and needing to ask multiple times, not of having anything anticipated.

The hotels interiors look like architectural renderings in a way that is lacking in any sense of history or place, but isn't offering anything new or interesting. You could be in Dubai or Singapore --but if you were the rooms would be larger and the service much better. Another thing about this hotel is it's heating and cooling system--its very quick to respond, but the air is both thick and dry like airplane air.

Because the hotel is nice, but there isn't anything amazing or compelling about it, it's prices irk me: lots of additions like $15/day for internet on top of the $600/night.

The one thing I noticed a big improvement in was the restaurant. They shifted from a pan asian menu to one that draws on local produce. I had three very good meals, and even after I moved to the Taj, came back for dinner.

For me and my tastes, the MO is poor value and so hard to enjoy. I want there to be an amazing hotel in Boston--a hotel that is so wonderful it alone is reason to visit Boston, but so far the hotels in this city are not as impressive as the schools and hospitals.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gandaratravels
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Gandaratravels,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay with us at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. While we are deeply sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, we do appreciate the commentary so that we can improve upon the areas that you have highlighted. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so that we can examine the issues you experienced during your stay. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at mobos-socialmedia@mohg.com.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I always think a 5* hotel should not have a bad room, but they gave me one!

I was not on a budget, but did not splurge either. This hotel is lovely and perfectly situated in Boston. It has everything you should want, except maybe a good nights sleep. Avoid room 520, next to a service door of some sort that bangs open and shut regularly in the evening, sometimes during the night and definitely in the early morning. In a hotel like this you want peace and tranquility - and this room is so beautifully appointed - but I would happily take a tiny hole that is quiet than one that you think will be perfect, but then disappoints where it matters most - Sleeping.

The bed was perfect, the room amazing, the hotel - fab! The thin walls and door banging just outside the room, not so much! No hotel at this standard should offer a room that is poorly situated - it hurts the brand and the loyalty.

Room Tip: Avoid 520 and probably all the rooms with a x20 in them.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lanphere
Dear Lanphere,

We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent experience with us at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. We sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. We do thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We will look into the guest rooms located near the service door to see how the matter can best be resolved. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your remarks further so that we can examine the issues you experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at mobos-socialmedia@mohg.com.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about my stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Boston. Staff was helpful and gracious and the room was superb. Bedding was exceptionally comfortable and, as the title says, this was the quietest room I have ever encountered in a hotel. Particularly impressive as I had a great view toward the street. The spa was lovely and restful. Room service was quick and delicious. A perfect stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank travelpsychologist
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed at the Mandarin for one night only in a "Lifestyle King" room, but that one night was very comfortable! Solicitous staff; nice restaurant/bar; great toiletries; super comfortable bed; good HVAC; etc-- everything one should expect at a hotel of this caliber. So, my two small issues: 1) I would have loved having a coffee maker in the room and 2) the shower was surprisingly small, especially given the size of the rain-style shower head. But overall, I would stay here again, certainly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. We are delighted to hear that your stay was pleasant overall. We will coordinate with our colleagues in Guest Relations to note that you would prefer an in-room coffee maker on your future stays. Your comments are very much appreciated, as we are always looking for ways in which we can improve services for our guests.