“great hotel unless you have a dog”

Mandarin Oriental, Boston
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 9, 2012

we stayed in a suite at about $900/night with our 15 lb "schnoodle". Their "dog room" had plastic sofa fabric and stained carpet. I understand some dogs are not well trained (some people are not well trained either) but other hotels seem to use higher quality materials that are more stain resistant for rooms of this cost. The surcharge could cover additional cleaning or more frequent replacement. The 3" black hair on the toilet base was left undisturbed. The hotel and staff were otherwise quite good and friendly. The plastic couches were seriously out of place and horrible.good location but probably better alternatives if you're traveling with your dog. There are a lot of us out there....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steven r

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Great location, wonderful hotel, excellent service. Rooms are fantastic - very comfortable and spacious. BEST BEST spa in Boston - book services in advance in order to get desired times. Bar in hotel is very "hip" - good place for celebrity spottings after sporting events.

Room Tip: Book spa in advance as appts fill up quickly - spa is absolutely luxurious!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I travelled to Boston for a one day trip from Europe and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental. Perfect location, right across the street is an Apple store, always good for a short trip to the US. Great room (the bed was especially good, though not as outstanding as at the Four Seasons). Very good fitness room. I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Since I like Mandarin Oriental in HK, I decided to try their hotel in Boston. The quality of our stay overall was good.
First of all, the location is unbeatable. You can go to the mall where there are many shops and 3 department stores (Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and Barneys NY). You can also walk to Newbury street.
The room was spacious and cozy. I liked the bath room and amenities as well. The service level was not bad. The concierge helped us to get a reservation at one of the high-end restaurants which are difficult to get in. On the first day of our stay, a chocolate cake which says "Happy Anniversary" was delivered to our room. It was a nice touch, but actually we're not celebrating our anniversary and obviously it should have been delivered to somebody else... I found the charge for the internet connection absurd as others complained.
I liked their breakfast menu. They do not have any breakfast buffet and that was a nice change. But breakfast at Asana can be really expensive. Probably 40 to 50 dollars per person. The sofa seating at this restaurant is too soft to have meals. (Their bed mattress is rather soft as well.)
So this hotel is a great hotel in a great location but still has some room to improve. Don't mind staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The location is great and the facilities are what you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental hotel. However, the service was patchy and a long way short of what a guest would expect from hotel bearing this name. I suggest staff or management training at one of the hotel group's Asian hotels might improve things. For example, returned from business meetings at 2.30pm to find room not made up; slow restaurant service; taxi booked to train station did not show up. Rooms are great though, food also good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We always loved to travel as a family. When my wife passed away in April from lymphoma, I vowed to continue to travel with my 8 year old son and 4 year old daughter. With our quartet now a trio, we began our new phase of family travel in July. I chose the Mandarin Oriental in Boston for our first trip together. The Boylston Street location is amazing. The location is right in the heart of Back Bay. Check-in was friendly and we were given a room on the sixth floor at the back of the hotel. The room was well-appointed and the bathroom was roomy. We received tangerine tea as part of the welcoming, and we enjoyed it very much. The room was comfortable and the climate control was whisper quiet. The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept well. The common areas of the hotel were beautiful and impressive. I was unable to use the spa because of the kids, but maybe next time. If you are in Boston to shop, then the Mandarin Oriental is tops. With Newbury Street nearby and the Prudential Center shops literally down the hall, the old credit card can get quite a good workout. You can also continue on to Copley Place for some more posh retail establishments. We dined at Asana Restaurant within the hotel and it was terrific.The food and the service were both top notch. My filet mignon was perfection. We were seated by the window and my young daughter got a kick out of tapping on the window and waving to passersby walking on the sidewalk. It was actually fun for me to see some people lower their urban guard for a moment, laugh, and wave back to my daughter as they continued down Boylston Street. The service throughout our stay, throughout the hotel, was friendly and professional. If I was forced to find fault with this hotel, my fault would be one of omission and nothing more. I echo other reviewers and lament the lack of a swimming pool at this hotel. The thought of an enclosed rooftop pool, (like her sister property in Manhattan or the Peninsula Hotel in Chicago) overlooking the Back Bay would elevate the Mandarin Oriental as unquestionably the finest hotel in the city. That is a distinction it probably already has anyway, however this hotel would be perfection with a pool. The Mandarin Oriental, with its staff, was a well-oiled machine of hospitality. We enjoyed our stay very much. This hotel is highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank saint22
Reviewed July 30, 2012

From the moment we were collected at the airport by their limo service we felt comfortable & knew we had made the right decision regarding our accommodation in Boston. It's not cheap but you do get what you pay for, excellent caring staff who go the extra mile to ensure you are happy. Smiling faces everywhere in the hotel. Room was great size, with the most comfortable bed ever, super bathroom with lots & lots of gorgeous orange toiletries.

Breakfast in asana was brilliant and set us up for the rest of the day.

My only gripe is the charge for wifi. I wish someone would explain why a cheapie motel can provide free wifi but a hotel aspiring to 5* cannot? Its really by the by as you can hook up with free wifi when out & about but, when travelling from the uk & waking up at ridiculous o'clock, it would be nice to play on the laptop at no extra charge.

Really really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012