I stayed here by myself for one night this past weekend. Even though I live nearby, a friend was visiting for the weekend and staying at her friend's apartment near MGH. I have always wanted to stay overnight in Boston and this was my chance! So...after gasping at the $600 price tag of the Liberty Hotel (you've got to be kidding), I remembered the John Jeffries house.
Location: Can't be beat. Right across the street from the Charles/MGH T stop for easy access all over the city. You will be right at Charles street with a number of restaurants, shops and scenic alleyways.
Room; I had a double bed, and it was large enough for me, but unless you and a partner/spouse are used to the size you might feel cramped. The was a little sitting area, a fridge, stove, microwave and some dishes for a longer stay. The bathroom was spacious, enough room for toiletries, and excellent water pressure. The bed was so comfortable, and despite being right next to the common room and on the first floor I heard no noise at night at all, slept like a baby. There were room darkening shades also.
Parking was $27 ("discounted" yes, it is cheaper than $42!) and the garage has in and out privileges which is a plus. But unless you are going outside of Boston you won't need to take the car out.
You had to ring a buzzer to be let in, and the rooms have actual keys instead of the key cards. Even though my friends "dropped me off" after our night out I would have felt perfectly safe being my myself as the T is literally across the street and even though the hotel is a little tucked away it is highly visible at the same time.
This is an affordable option in Boston, the rate was $182.00 including all taxes. I did not partake in the breakfast/coffee. I have a preference for the Back Bay area, and usually recommend people stay there, but after staying at the John Jeffries, I have a different view. This is a perfect location either for touring the city (cabs are plentiful also if the T is not your thing), or for being there for a loved one at one of the hospitals. I found history of the hotel/inn and affiliation with the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary really interesting as well.
I would definitely stay here again for another at home getaway, and highly recommend it to others for theirs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- John Jeffries House Hotel invites guests to experience the best that Boston has to offer. The stately red-brick building makes for a convenient base for exploring the thriving city, and when guests check in to this Beacon Hill hotel, Boston is at their fingertips. The 46 guestrooms at John Jeffries House Hotel resemble New England apartments, coupling traditional design and original detailing with modern amenities. Most rooms feature kitchenettes, allowing for extended stays at this downtown Boston hotel. Trained staff members ensure that every guest feels at home, providing a level of personalized service only found at a boutique hotel this size. In-the-know concierges, for example, can point couples to the city's most romantic date spots, or business travelers to the best cafés for getting extra work done. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your John Jeffries House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- John Jeffries House Hotel Boston
- John Jeffries House Boston