“Great location & value”

Ranked #9 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Irvine, California
“Great location & value”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

For the price, this hotel is a gem and the location's wonderful. We stayed one night in August on the bottom floor. It was a bit dark, however, a retreat from the hot, muggy weather. We walked around so much, we basically came home and fell sound asleep on the bed. The breakfast is limited especially for being GF as there weren't many options. However, coffee was good and for the price, we were happy to find the place. Only gave three stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarrieOregon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

My family and I had a great experience with our room. We stayed here for 10 days and never felt homesick.

It is conveniently located across the street from the MGH/Charles station (Red line) so you are just a few feet away from any Boston location.

If we return to the Boston area, will definitely try to stay here again.

1 Thank Jaime F
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I held a block of rooms at the JJH for my wedding, seeing they were the best deal in town. From the start communications were strained, I would ask that they not call me back at work and they would call me back at work. I call the front desk to ask about my block of rooms and they could never find them. Come to find out the rooms were held under a different first name but somehow they could not find them under my last name.
They wanted my CC to hold the block of rooms ASSURING me that they would get each guests CC as the reserved their rooms. I followed all the instructions regarding this block of rooms, called weekly to see how many were left and then made sure the extra rooms were released. We had 2 folks cancel due to Hurricane Sandy, so I called to make sure those rooms were canceled, I gave the guests names and was told yes the rooms were canceled.
One month later I get a bill for 3 different amounts AFTER they already charged my husbands card ( a different rate mind than any of the charges on my card) and when I called they said "I told you would get charged for NO SHOWS!" They would not address the fact that they charged me 2x just pointed out that there were NO SHOWS. The NO SHOWS did cancel (Hurricane Sandy) and IF they were to get cancellation fees those guests should have been charged but they put it on MY card. I am still dealing with this nightmare and have spent numerous hours on the phone with my CC company and now with my husbands credit card company.
On top of this though were were the bride and groom we got the smallest room and they called our room at 11:01 the next day to make sure we were checking out. We were literally on our way out the door when they called.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Terri C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The John Jeffries House is perfect if you're not into luxury travel. It's clean, well-priced and ideally located. I stayed there near the end of November 2012 and was very happy with my lodgings, in spite of the fact that I was in a room in the 'basement'. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had to come to Boston on short notice recently when a friend passed away suddenly. The funeral was to be held at Copley Square so, not being very familiar with Boston/Cambridge, I wanted a hotel that was either nearby or close to public transit. Given the unplanned circumstances around my visit, I didn't want to bust my budget and all the hotels in the Back Bay are very expensive. Then the name of this hotel came up during a TripAdvisor search. The man who answered the phone when I called to inquire about availability and make a reservation was rather surly and that put me off a little, but in the end, I could not have been happier to discover this place. I would have been fine with one of their smaller rooms, but the only thing they had available was a Superior Suite. Compared to the rates of other hotels in the vicinity, the price of a suite was still cheaper than a single occupancy room just about anywhere else.

The hotel is steps away from the Charles/MGH T station with a CVS drugstore across the street and an upscale deli called Savenor's Market adjacent. The woman at the reception desk was friendly and helpful. My suite was on the 2nd floor, overlooking a highway exit ramp and the entrance to a footbridge that crosses the Charles River, but the building is surrounded by trees on that side and the windows are double paned so I didn't hear any noise at all. Even with Massachusetts General Hospital nearby, I didn't hear any ambulance sirens or helicopters. The rooms were clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the living area was well-furnished with a loveseat, table, microwave, refrigerator and bar sink. The bathroom was functionally sized and included lots of towels, a hairdryer, and many little bottles of Pantene shampoo. Water pressure was good. Extra blankets and a luggage rack were in one of two very large closets. The TV was the old CRT kind and the reception wasn't great, but I wasn't there to watch TV. The bedroom included a clock-radio and a separate iPod dock unit which I unplugged as it had a really bright display that would have affected my sleep. The temperature control worked fine too. Free wi-fi is available throughout the building and local telephone calls are also free. A continental breakfast is included at this hotel until 11:00 AM, and the offerings included a variety of croissants, muffins and danish, coffee, tea, juices and fresh apples and bananas - nothing special but perfectly fine. The sitting room where the food is set out is comfortably furnished with lots of seating and a choice of newspapers. Most of the other guests appeared to be affiliated with the hospital so it was a quiet, older, professional crowd. Besides the convenience of having a drugstore and deli so close by, Charles Street is a cute street with lots of charming shops and cafes and a very nice scale in that old Boston brick townhouse way. Getting to and from the airport was very easy with the T system (one transfer from the Red Line to the Silver Line, costs $2.50) and took about 40 minutes door-to-door.

If you are looking for luxurious amenities, this hotel is not for you. However, if you just want a clean, comfortable and very reasonably priced place to stay in Boston, I highly recommend John Jeffries House. I stayed for 2 nights, but this would be a great value for longer stays.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor in the NW corner of the building. My suite overlooked both a highway and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Pigcat
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We spent three nights at the end of our New England states trip and had a terrible time. First, I had requested for rooms close to each other as early as August (more than 2 months ahead of scheduled arrival). While I understand they cannot guarantee specific requests, but would it really be difficult to at least put us on the same floor? My husband and I were placed at the highest floor (4th) and our daughters at the ground floor (equivalent to basement). To top it all, the person in the front desk was not even apologetic about it. We got a Jr. suite for us and a Standard room for our kids. The standard room had a full sized ref, our Jr. Suite had a mini ref. (one would expect the suite would have better amenities).
The next day after going around we came back to the room and saw that the garbage can in the kitchen had not been cleaned. We told the front desk to have it cleaned as we went out to dinner. When we got back two hours later, it was still there. The next day, we saw the housekeeping lady and told her about it. She said, yes, she was told and apologized and told us to just leave our trash outside our room. I think it's bad enough to have trash in the room and I didn't intend to share it with the other occupants in my floor.
Positives: good location, was accessible to good restaurants and reasonable rates. Negatives: aside from the above experience, breakfast was the same muffins, pastries each day, and poor customer service. Will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank cespdelrosario
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Staff in general were pointedly unhelpful, including the manager (who watched us struggle with luggage & stroller up & down 2 flights before telling us about the service elevator we could've used).
Good location on the edge of Beacon Hill & clean despite being dated, but not worth the negatives. We'd seen photos beforehand so weren't expecting much for our money (it was pretty expensive, particularly for a young couple with a new baby, but fairly standard for the area).
This was our 1st holiday with our 3-month-old baby and we'd brought 2 boutique dresses which were gifts from grandparents. We couldn't find one of them when we were packing up to leave & thoroughly searched the room but left assuming we'd packed it earlier. When we got home, however, we noticed that both these expensive dresses were missing & could clearly remember having them at the hotel. It took more than 5 phone calls & 3-4 voice messages to the hotel managment for us to realise that we were going to get no reasonable resolution from this hotel; in fact the manager resorted to transfering us to his own voicemail when he happened to answer the phone.
Breakfast was impressively sub-standard and there's no parking to unload bags near the hotel.

If you have nothing worth stealing, no tastebuds, no time for aesthetics, honesty or decent customer service or indeed moral values, this is the perfect place for you. If, however, you are a member of the human race and weren't brought up in a sewer, look for somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family