“Reasonable price in a great location”

John Jeffries House
Ranked #10 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Reasonable price in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

After extensive research in hotels in Boston, this place was such a great find at a very good price. Beacon Hill is a notoriously expensive area but this hotel, situated across from the hospital, seems to cater to a different audience, e.g. outpatients, etc.
The rooms were a little musty and poorly lit, and the whole place had a slight hospital smell to it, but on the whole we found it clean and presentable. The free continental breakfast was a nice touch. The convenient location of this hotel is the main reason we so thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Boston.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank estabia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

I booked here through email, as I am not from the US. This was an easy process and very quick. I wasn't sure how it would be staying there, as there wasn't a lot of reviews for it when i booked months in advance.
I needn't have worried! I had a wonderful time at this place and as i am returning to Boston in sept for a few nights, i will be staying here again. It is SO central to everything!!! The train is across the road so Harvard and Cambridge were a few stops away which was handy. I also walked from the hotel to Boston Common and it literally was a less then 10 min walk. Lovely street to walk along too.
There were a lot of restaurants in the area, but since i had a kitchenette I stopped at whole foods and cvs and cooked which was nice for a change. Having the kitchen really made it easy and allowed me to relax after long days of sightseeing!
I booked a room for 1 person which was big enough for me to move around comfortably. It was a standard room, i would call it quaint. It was a comfortable sleep and traffic noise was not too loud in the early morning which was good.
The breakfast needs some work, even cereal and toast would be better than just muffins and the like. I ended up getting cereal from the cvs across the road and had a yummy breakfast myself each day so regardless I was really happy staying here. It had a nice vibe about it.
Can't wait to return next year, because it is the most central place you can stay for a good rate! I was nearly going to stay near Harvard as it was about $525 inc tax which was the cheapest in Boston at the time for 3 nights. Looked at JJH website and after inquiring, found my 1 person room, with bathroom and kitchen for 3 nights for $440 inc tax!!! Much better location here too!! Can't believe my luck in where I was, it made getting around the city so much easier!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Toni F
Portland,Me
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We live in Maine and needed a place to stay while my 16 year old brother was undergoing three days of treatment at Mass General Hospital. Although we have several family members in MA that we could have stayed with, it would have been a huge hassle to drive back and forth to Boston. I checked Mass General's web site for any discounted accomodations, and since John Jefferies was listed, I called to make a reservastion. I was told that a suite was available for one night only at a rate of $139.00. I booked the suite, thinking I had done well since I found no rates under $200 on any web site. When we arrived, I was handed the usual check in form, but the rate was now $194.00, plus taxes and fees that brought the total up to $223.00. I asked why the rate had jumped so much from the previous day when I made the reservation? I was asked for the name of the person who took the reservation, which I didn't know or think to ask because I didn't anticipate there would be a problem. I was informed that they have no agreement with Mass General to offer a discount, even though Mass General lists them as such. I was also told that no one would have ever given me that rate, JJH is the cheapest in town (which seems to be true), and if we left as we were going to do, they would still charge my card as they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. I asked to speak to a manager, who came over and said that we could cancel and that we would not be charged, but she would not lower the rate.There was also a $15 surcharge for the third person. Since we were stuck, my mother, brother and I decided to stay. The bed was supposed to be a queen, it was a full so only one person would fit. The sofa bed mattress was thin and worn, making sleeping on the support bars painfully uncomfortable. My brother, who has CP ended up just sleeping on the floor. I stayed on the sofa bed, but didn't sleep, and finally just got up at 4am. A "full American" breakfast was supposed to be included, but there was only coffe, juice, pastries, and fruit. The room itself was satisfactory. At the end of the day, if I was given the rate of $194 at the booking I would have taken it anyway because it was the lowest I could find. I feel like they should have honored the rate I was given or given me some kind of an adjustment. I felt like their attitude was that I was lying about the $139.00 rate. It made me feel ridiculous and stupid, I was glad we only stayed one night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Nicole L
Fountain Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

We enjoyed our stay in Boston so much because we were in a perfect location. We walked out of our hotel room in the morning right on to Charles St. A few steps away is a great little place, Panifico, for coffee and a light breakfast. A short walk away is Boston Common and Boston Garden. We had easy access to the hop-on-hop-off buses.
If we went in the other direction from the hotel, we had easy access to the metro train.
The staff at the hotel is friendly and very helpful. Rooms are OK. Beds leave something to be desired, but we were there to see the city. After walking all day, we fell in to bed and went right to sleep. No, we didn't sink down into pillow top mattresses, there were no down comforters, but we could afford to stay in this decent, clean hotel and still afford to have lots of fun seeing the sights, enjoying great restaurants and visiting fine museums.
Did I mention the location is great?

Room Tip: ground floor has easiest access to parking and Charles St.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Diana V
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

This lovely B&B is both comfortable and reasonably priced. It is near some of the best sights in the Boston area. It is close to a railway station and only a few stops from Harvard Square. Book levels 2 and up (there is an elevator) because lower floors tend to be noisy and upper levels are very quiet. Rooms are spacious and welcoming. Staff are courteous and helpful. Safe storage of valuables is provided at the desk. Breakfast is not much, mostly pastries. Tea, coffee and fruit are always set out in the breakfast room for guests to have at any time. There is no guest laundry but there are laundromats a few blocks away. If you are looking for an inexpensive and comfortable place to stay, close to transport, with lots of character, then this B&B would meet your needs.

Room Tip: Book floors 2 and up only. Lower floors are noisy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Jan R
Anchorage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

JJH is the perfect choice for travelers who want to be in the heart of Boston without having a heart attack over high hotel rates!
The inn is on a busy corner, but it's a half-block walk to charming Charles St. and the foot of Beacon Hill.
There is a post office, dry cleaner, and grocery within an easy two blocks. Starbucks and Beacon Hill Chocolates, too. Whole Foods is .3 miles down Cambridge St.
We walked to the Freedom Trail sites and to Symphony Hall.
The T (subway) is right across the street.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank MarvinAnchorage
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We planned a long weekend to Boston and NYC and I needed to find a hotel for the Boston part of our trip. Room rates were crazy expensive for anything in the heart of the city. I somehow stumbled upon this hotel online and picked it because the location looked great and it was considerably less expensive than anything (anything!) else in the city. We were not disappointed. Super convenient - across the street from the Charles/MGH T stop, a CVS and a small grocery market. Plenty of cute shops and coffee along Charles Street and a very short walk to Boston Common and Newbury Street area. The old building has lots of charm and the rooms are clean, updated and quiet. How they combo the awesome urban location with this level of quiet was impressive all by itself. We had a comfy bed and a kitchenette in our room. The staff isn't over the top friendly but plenty pleasant and accommodating. The front door is locked / you are buzzed in. There is always coffee and tea in the main sitting area. Highly recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family