“Best location!”

Ranked #9 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Lake Country
“Best location!”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Three old high school friends from Western Canada went to Boston for a week long holiday/reunion, and found the John Jeffries House on the web. The location was unbelievable; we walked to so many historic Boston locations, soaking up the amazing ambiance of this safe, clean and friendly city. JJ House is located at the foot of historic Charles street, with restaurants, grocery stores and lots of shopping literally around the corner or down the street. Rooms were also clean and spacious. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I would have to say that the main asset this place has is it's location. Right by Charles St/MGH on the red line just over the road. It is a pleasant walk up Charles (or is it Cambridge?) to the Common indicating how close you are to the hub of things. Despite its proximity to some main throroughfares there was no noise that distrubed us. The room was very spacious with its own cooker etc. Breakfast was pretty good in terms of its selection of pastries. I would say the only criticism was the staff were not necessarily cheery folk. They were pleasant enough but did not necessarily greet you with a smile.

I would say for what we paid, and we did plenty of shopping around, we were pretty content with our stay here. It was a good distance to TD Garden and Fenway, plus a decent walk down to Faneuil Hall. I would happily stay here again as I thought it was value for money seeing as the cost of somewhere to stay in the city did get quite prohibitive.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Kansas
Reviewed October 7, 2011

For three ladies from Kansas and their first time in Boston, John Jeffries House was one of the highlights of our trip. The staff was extremely accommodating in answering our many questions about how to navigate around Boston to see all the historic places. The room was very clean and had all the amenities but still maintain a historical atmosphere. Mattresses could be updated. Location is in a very high traffic area and near a major hospital. The noise could be distracting but became quiet in late evening. The location did provide great walks, easy access to public transportation, and a way to experience the ambiance of Boston.

Room Tip: Heat is not turned on until end of October, rooms could become chilly.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Lincoln, California
Reviewed October 4, 2011

After lugging our bags up the entry stairs, we checked in to find that we were in a basement room.Since we were there for 4 nights, the following morning, I asked to be moved and we were but of course we had to pack up before leaving for the day. Two days in that room and we packed up again to move to another room. I felt that staff was unable to juggle rooms so that did not happen. It didn't matter what room we were in, the locks, and or the door stuck. Getting in and our of the room was always a challenge and we did have to ask for help twice!
Upon leaving, I asked how to get to the ramp that we were told about when we registered and as one clerk began to tell us how to get to it, the other said that there is no ramp. While waiting for a taxi, I checked it out, there was a ramp. What was that about?
We found the desk staff at night unhelpful and bordering on rude.
The best thing about this place is the location!
I would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SusanP330
Canberra
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our week in Boston and, for us, John Jeffries House was ideal accommodation. Its location, close to the Charles River, Beacon Hill and the Red Line "T" station, couldn't have been better. Our compact one-bedroom apartment was well furnished and the living room had a great view. The bathroom was large and well equipped. The cooking facilities -- a small cooktop and a microwave -- were fine. There was a convenient Whole Foods Market about five minutes' walk away for cooking supplies. House keeping service was excellent. The continental breakfast included in the room rate was nothing to write home about -- cakes, cakes and more cakes -- but the coffee and fresh fruit available throughout the day in the Common Room was most welcome. Wifi worked well. What we did find strange in a hotel that has so much going for it was that the staff at reception were consistently distant and cool. Never unfriendly, but I could have done with a bit more cheeriness. It was also strange that in a hotel that, while good value, is hardly cheap, that there were no pots, pans or utensils for cooking in our kitchen on check-in. We had to query this and search around in a cupboard for what we could find from a limited selection.

Room Tip: Don't be frightened to take a room on the upper floors facing the hospital and the elevated trai...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
newport
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Would like to give a better than average, but can't. The hotel does not turn the heat on until October. Our room was cold. Front desk offered more blankets, but we did not need them. We ordered dinner from a nearby restaurant which has an arrangement to deliver to the rooms. A new service from the hotel. Food was very good, but a cold room did not add much to the dinner. Overall another good stay. Rates continue to be very attractive. This hotel is a 5 minute walk to Mass Eye and Ear hospital. No parking at the hotel, but a resonable discout at a parking garage around the corner.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nptinsman
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 12, 2011

John Jeffries House, I really, really, really wanted to like you. You are the best deal in Boston. The hotel is clean and amazingly located. By and large the encounters with the support staff were great, people were very friendly and attentive. I was totally willing to overlook the somewhat thin walls, the bad beds, and the weird basement room we were in as the overall charm outweighed these things. Our first night came and went without incident.

Then the second night. Our room was located directly beneath the check in area and common room. The previous night this was no issue, while we could hear people above my husband and I are apartment dwellers so we're used to a little noise. But THIS night it sounded like they were doing RENOVATIONS above us. For approximately 2 hours from around 12:00 to 2:00 A.M. banging, dragiing and general loud noise was carrying on. Finally my husband went upstairs to see what was going on and complain and was informed by the pleasant but unempowered clerk that a family reunion group had been checking in and that they had been moving furniture in the common area.

As we paid to SLEEP in this hotel and while it's a bargain for Boston it still isn't cheap and my husband asked what could be done and the clerk said she would leave a note for the GM in the morning and gave my husband his card. When we check out the next morning, I bring the issue to the attention of the morning clerk and he informs that our room was discounted $25. While I appreciated the gesture I honestly felt like it should have been a bit more given that we lost quite a bit of sleep. I stated this fact at which point the assistant GM got involved and was frankly one of the rudest people I have ever dealt with. She essentially called us liars and refused to do anything further. She was belligerent, unapologetic (please note she was NOT on staff the night before) and claimed that it was 'just people checking in.' Even if that were the case if people checking in are that disruptive they should not rent the rooms below the check-in area. But seriously, people were moving furniture. Someone on staff needs to at least be able to politely tell people that guests are in rooms below that area and to be please be considerate. I'm sure the group that was checking in had no idea.

Anyway, after her arguing with this woman for a moment I threw my hands up and we left. Really not even an apology and "I'm sorry, we can't do anything else?" Even a sincere apology would have made me write this review completely differently. JJ's management staff desperately needs some basic customer service training. Next time I'll happily give my money to one of the bigger chains. Goes to show you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple