“Just what we wanted!”
Review of Verona's B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Verona's B&B
Ranked #21 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Great location, close to downtown Boston and the train system. The ensuite room had a kitchenette which we found useful. The room was very comfortable with easy chairs and a great bed. Airconditioning and a ceiling fan provided relief in the heatwave. No general living area as with some B&Bs, but we thoroughly enjoyed the simple breakfasts with our host in the top floor kitchen.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Judith S

Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I went with a Boston B&B association's recommendation to stay at 82 Chandler Street (also known as Verona B&B). What it wasn't was a B&B (apparently, because our room had a hotplate and microwave, they determined that we weren't worthy of breakfast...never mind that it was equiped with exactly two bowls, two mugs, one spoon, and a tea kettle. How are you gonna make a meal for two outta that??). What it was, was a four story brownstone where they converted the floors into separate bedrooms, all decorated with leftover or garage sale furnishings. (Not sure, but I think the owners may live on the top floor.) The pluses: good, safe neighborhood, Keureg one-cup coffee maker and pods in room, pretty wrought iron bed, adequate other furniture, cable, wi-fi. The negatives: never saw or heard from the innkeepers (you retieve your keys from a lockbox), never saw any other guests, teeny tiny fiberglass shower stall, no soaps or travel size shampoos, less than adequate "kitchenette" (consisting of a corner of a bedroom that they "convereted" by installing a three foot cabinet which held the hotplate and microwave), ancient (and I mean ANCIENT!) and noisy window air conditioner which wasn't sealed against outside air and blew hot air into the room during the 100 degree heat spell, scratchy towels, old tube-type TV. I'm not a big, discerning traveler who is overly finicky about my hotel rooms, but I do expect basic cleanliness, amenities and service when paying $165/night for a room. Even a small touch such as having the host check in on us and give us tips or recommendations regarding the surrounding areas may have swayed my opinion a bit, but we didn't even get that. For me, what added to the "creep" factor was lack of interface with inn keeper or guests and zero service - you feel like you're the lone ranger at an abandoned hotel. Sorry, but I can't give this place even a marginal thumbs up or recommendatoin.

Room Tip: Research and read as many reviews as you can. Don't rent anything that doesn't provide at le...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank litlmo4
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed here for the Boston Early Music Festival. I was able to walk to all the venues as well as the Common. The street was quiet in the evenings. There was an air conditioner in the window. Breakfast with fruit and cereal in the top floor kitchen was just right for me. I had keys to come and go as i pleased. There is a good bar with excellent food at the end of the street. it is an elegant establishment on a pleasant street.
The television was not the best but I believe is being upgraded - i did not need it anyway.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Alan9226
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Verona's B&B (82 Chandler Street) during the 2011 Boston Marathon. Convenient location--just about 2 blocks from a T station. Dominick and Jose were gracious hosts, with conversation and tourist advice during our daily continental breakfasts.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JudyfromVancouver
Reviewed November 17, 2010

we had a great size room with ensuite although decor a little dated.
excellent location in a lovely tree lined avenue in a very safe area. back bay station, copely sqaure etc all within easy walking distance.
hosts dominic and jose where superb and provided a fine breakfast including fresh fruit every morning.
i would highly recommend staying in this friendly establishment

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Hello110
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We recently stayed at 82 Chandler for 3 nights. We booked the trip last minute and didn’t have many options in central Boston so this was the best we could find. We paid $215 a night which I think is fine for Boston but for the room we got I find it was overpriced. Plus was charge 5% for using my credit card which they didn’t tell me in advance that would happen as they prefer to take cash or cheque. The room we had was at the third floor. It was very large and had nice big windows. In terms of the décor though it felt like it was decorated with leftovers from grandma’s house. As well the layout was weird. There was a sink in the room and the bathroom was basically a closet. And there was a little kitchenette in another closet. Overall it felt like a student bachelor apartment. The bathroom was the worst part of the room. Like I said it was tiny. Just enough room for a metal shower stall and toilet. When sitting on the toilet the bathroom door was almost in your face. For the price I would expect something nicer. I almost didn’t want to step into the shower stall without flip flops on as it had a hostel type feel to it.

The hosts Dominic and Jose were very nice though. Breakfast was served at 9am at the top floor. It was a continental breakfast with coffee, tea, orange juice, fresh fruit salad, and either bagels or baked bread. It was nicer then I had expected.

The location of the inn is fantastic though. The residential street it’s on is beautiful and there are lots of restaurants around. The area felt very safe to walk around at night. As well the Back Bay subway station is closeby which is really convenient. Though pretty much all the attractions you want to see are within 15 minutes walking distance away. The hotel does not have parking so you either have to try to find a visitor parking spot which there are very few empty ones. On Clarendon st is where most of them are. Or park at the lot on Warren St which is $26 a night. For the first 2 nights we parked in the lot but on our last night we were lucky to find street parking for free.

For dinner try Franklin Café. It was chaotic when we went on Friday night but we were able to grab some seats at the bar and the bartender service was excellent. We ordered drinks and a whole bunch of apps and everything was great. Mussels were especially good. We also had dinner at the Metropolis Café which has a quieter atmosphere and that was very nice too. The salmon was excellent.

Because of what you get for the price I would not stay here again. If we had more options with our last minute trip I would find something that had more value. I am definitely not against smaller inns and b&bs and I often enjoy them more then large hotels. But this one was not up to par for the price. Our next stop on our trip was Cooperstown and we also stayed at a b&b and I breathed a sigh of relief when I walked in the room. I realized what an exceptional b&b experience should be like, and it made 82 Chandler seem like shabby student dorm. If they completely redecorated the room and rehauled the bathroom it would be something really special but until then I wouldn’t stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank unplainjane
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We stayed 4 nights last week and absolutely loved it. Don't stay if you want a contemporary room - stay if you like a bit of character, if you like a congenial breakfast with your host and other guests.
We had great breakfasts - Dominic makes his own blueberry jam - absolutely fantastic, good coffee and excellent fresh fruit - melon, pineapple, etc.
Dominic is charming and his assistant Jose is equally nice.
Our room at the back on floor 2 had a kitchen area with fridge and microwave.
There are some nice restaurants nearby, the Back Bay station is < 5 minutes walk away and not that far from Boston Common. We had no issues walking around the area at night - it all seemed pretty safe. There are shops at the end of the road towards Tremont - dry cleaners, a convenience store, there is no street parking - use the carpark in Warren Street - 2 streets away.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple