“Quick Service, Decent Sandwiches”

Flour Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 104 Dessert in Boston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We went to Flour based on the great reviews and an article about places to visit in Boston. Despite the long line at lunchtime, they had a great system for making the line move quickly and having the food out right away. The sandwiches were just Ok, but we did not get the chance to try any of the baked goods (which looked so delicious). We would visit again if we came back to Boston!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our culinary son informed us of this place and since I absolutely adore sticky buns, and my husband loves bakeries - we had to go. Due to the hype, I think the sticky buns were very very good but we actually loved so many of the other items we tried. Highly recommend.

Of special note, my daughter is highly lactose intolerant. There was a break in the line and my daughter told them this. She wondered if they could do the hot chocolate with soy milk for her. They said absolutely and then 3 people actually cleaned out the machine, changed things up and made her a special one. They took the extra time to do this!! She did not ask. We were so impressed we left a very good tip - and due to the long lines normally I am sure they do not do this - but we were very impressed and appreciative.

1  Thank Crunchberry327
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I went for an afternoon snack. Service was quick and efficient. I saw an article about it in a airplane magazine. Food real good. Cookies very good

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I work in a bakery, so my standards are very, very high. Flour measured up and then some. My husband and I got here at 10 on a Monday. There was a tiny line, but no big deal. On another customers recommendation, I ordered the oatmeal with berries and almonds. My husband ordered the french roast and bacon. We split a luscious looking caramel roll and pastry called a craquelin. We both ordered coffee. The service was fast and efficient. When the register guy heard that I worked at a bakery, he even through in a buchon roll.

The caramel roll was my favorite, full of nuts and caramel. There was not a boring bite in the entire pastry. The craquelin was ok, but tasted even better the next day as the orange marmalade soaked into the pastry. The buchon was just ok, but very, very kind of Woody to throw in. My Oatmeal was fresh and delicious. My husbands french toast with fresh maple syrup was worth getting. I normally think french toast is so easy t make at home, with good bread, that why bother getting it at a restaurant, but it was just right and the bacon was cooked to perfection.

Nice job, Flour. I'll be back every day of my visit.

1  Thank jsc813
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have mostly gotten food to go, but it has always been fantastic! The biggest issue I have is that the pastries are all large. I would like to get more variety, so I can try more flavors, but they are just too big. The lunch salads or sandwiches are made to order, so you can easily sub in or out a favorite cheese or veggie. The staff is very friendly and hardworking, and they do try to please you. The pastries are delicious and the real thing... croissants, brioche, scones... I think my favorite is the breton roll. They are famous for their sticky buns (amazing when warm!!), and poptarts. Just not a fancy restaurant, but if you are having company and don't want to cook, the take away is amazing. I grab a breakfast or lunch when I am going to have a long day, and with a pastry treat, am so happy even though I still have to get work done. Okay to eat by yourself there, good internet access. Attempting to be environmentally friendly too.

1  Thank pythagorous

Been to Flour Bakery & Cafe? Share your experiences!