“The Best Bakery Ever”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Reviewed October 25, 2012

First, the baked goods here are incredible. Freshly baked, delicious, made with high-quality ingredients. The counter-service is also good. Cheerful and friendly, not overly solicitious, and always efficient. Every time I've been here there's been a substantial line, so the counter people are always busy, but they're unfailingly nice.

Recently I took a number of business colleagues here. The drive turned out to be much longer than expected, and we went in separate cars, so I was really concerned the others would be annoyed and they wouldn't think the irritating drive was worth it. Not so -- they were totally delighted by Flour Bakery; they loved the food, loved the atmoshpere, and bought baked goods to take home with them.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The scones here are fabulous. Although this is not a nut-free facility they do tell you which items actually contain nuts. That is really not adequate for a person with a life threatening allergy. I wish all bakeries could make a few safe offerings, It is possible. All it takes is a system. Just ask Ming Tsai of Blue Ginger fame!

1  Thank Cheryl R
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Flour's pastry is crazy good. I work in the neighborhood and there are a ton of options for take-out at lunch time here in the South Station / Fort Point Channel neighborhood. I love food, and on the quality of food level, a couple of other places come close, but nobody beats Flour. I have a thing for sweet tart desserts and the lemon meringue pie 'tart' they make is my favorite... If you order it, you will see that it shows up as 'Lemon Lust' on your receipt, so you know the bakers at Flour love it too. :)

I haven't hadn't had a sandwich, take home meal or dessert here I didn't really like. It's a little more expensive than the other places in the neighborhood, but you get what you pay for. Two stuffed pepper dinners plus a lemon lust and a brownie cost $30 (that was for takeout with tax but not with tip).

Also it's super crowded at lunch time. If it's 12:30, then Flour is not an option for me because I know it will be a long wait.

I highly recommend this place, and it's the place I like to take first time visitors to my office.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place has excellent food, Chef Joanne is a master baker. She excels at all of it! Beware of high prices, rude staff and no space to sit. Unless it is a sunny day and you can sit outside, there is no little to no seating available at lunch time and forget about sunday and saturdays at brunch time.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My friend talked me into going for lunch today. I took a gander at their menu online, and knew as soon as I saw it; I wanted the roasted lamb sandwich. It sounded tasty, and it was even better than I imagined. It was really the tomato chutney that did it. We went in and it was very busy due to the holiday (Columbus Day) and the children's museum is next door, so lots of moms and kids. I will have to make sure to go on a non-holiday week-day to avoid the kids and just see the business people. Next time I want to try soup or quiche. They always have new specials each day as well.

Been to Flour Bakery & Cafe? Share your experiences!