“Go for the Gold Floor”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“Go for the Gold Floor”
Reviewed July 4, 2007

As with many of the US Fairmont hotels, this is a large ornate hotel built in 1912. The regular reception desk is almost a block long with the regular Concierge desk about half that size. We booked into the Gold Floor with its own check-in, Concierge and lounge and didn't regret it. The rooms are spacious and luxurious, and all the members of the Concierge team were very knowledgeable about restaurants and sites to see in Boston. A large buffet breakfast (with Boston Baked Beans among about 30 other things!) is laid out as is a large pre-dinner spread (including Vodka from Maine). The Concierge Manager, John, is from Ireland which seemed perfect for Boston and he knew all there was to know about what we should see. We've stayed at several other Boston hotels before, but would definitely return to this one...but only at the Gold Floor level.

One warning: there is a $39/night parking fee. When we do it again, we'll let the Concierge get us a car once we're at the hotel, not arrive with one and pay for it to be parked.

• Liked — The hotel within a hotel concept
  • Disliked — The parking fee
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andrew02459

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
PARIS
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We are used to traveling all over the world and we always choose the finest hotels in the center of the cities. We came to Boston this year to attend our daughter’s ceremony of graduation from Harvard Business School. We had reserved two rooms in January 2007, via our local travel agency in France Carlson Wagonlit.
We had the following booking: from the 6th of June until the 10th of June 2007 (4 nights) for 1216€ per room without breakfast. It was specified on the booking that we wanted a non-smoking room.
Choice of hotel
During our previous stays in Boston, we were at the OMNI PARKER HOUSE. Having seen the beautiful entrance of the FAIRMONT hotel, we wanted to try it for our next stop in Boston. We booked the rooms as soon as we had the exact schedule for the graduation ceremony.
The rooms
Our local travel agency, Carlson Wagonlit had sent a confirmation email before we arrived and specified again that we wanted a VIP non-smoking room.
1/ At our arrival, we were surprised to be offered rooms in the second floor that were so strongly smelling cigarettes that we needed to ask to change rooms.
2/ We went back to the reception to ask for them and were offered new rooms on the 4th floor with an additional $70 per night !!!!!
3/ We naturally refused this arrangement and were finally offered two new rooms on the 3d floor. The rooms’ windows were facing the interior of the hotel, while we specifically had asked for room facing the street in our booking! And the rooms were not side by side.
Inside the rooms
There was no plug for the ironer (we miraculously found one lost under the bed).
No plug to fit European wires for our mobile phone (we had to ask the front desk to bring us adaptor).
In one of the rooms, there was no armchair but only one chair in front of the desk.
The carpet was stained (as in the corridor).
In the bathrooms
Having the restrooms inside the bathroom is very unusual for premium hotels and very uncomfortable.
There was only one small sink.
The bath was in very bad shape. The toilet flush was making noise for a few minutes after flushing!!!!
The overall aspect of the bathroom was old and rusty.
The noise
We have been awaken at 6am two days in a row by water noises coming from outside rooms. The same noise occurred again at night. There must be a bad system of water plumbing overall.
We asked for slippers for the bathroom and were simply told that there is none!
The Business Center is supposed to offer internet access but was out of order. We had to ask for a computer to be brought in the room and wait for someone to bring it and plug it. The service has been charged 40$!
Housekeeping is not well done: there are still old tissues on the corridors, meal plates from breakfast in other rooms for a long time, glasses on the floor etc.
We consider that the high price for the room is not aligned with the bad quality of the experience.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank DADYDOON
LA
Reviewed June 12, 2007

We booked a room using our American Express points. We used 45,000 points, which included a room for one night, breakfast, tax and tip. We had to upgrade to a Signature room for an additional $50 because no standard rooms were available.

I'll start off with the positives. The location is really great - it's right next to Trinity Church, a couple of blocks from Newbury St, and a short walk to the Public Garden. Perfect for out-of-towners. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful - it's very ornate. The Oak Room restaurant is also beautiful - the fresh flowers are gorgeous. We had breakfast there, which was very good. The fitness room is sufficient - it has nice equipment, but it is very small and doesn't offer lots of different equipment. It's fine for a quick workout.

We arrived in Boston on a red eye. We had called the day before and asked for an early check-in. They said they would do their best to honor our request. When we arrived at about 9 am, they said no rooms were available and check-in time was 3:00. They took our voucher and checked us in. Maybe I'm cynical, but I find it hard to believe that not one person had checked out early that morning. But we gave them the benefit of the doubt and they offered to call us when our room was ready. We gave them our cell phone number. Unfortunately, they don't have spa facilities, so we freshened up on the first floor bathroom. People looked at us, wondering if we were homeless people. Anyway, we walked around town and returned to our hotel at 2:15 pm. We had never received a phone call. When we returned to the hotel, they said our room was ready. There was no mention of the fact that they were supposed to call us. She looked in the computer and asked for our voucher. We explained that we had already given it to the person who had checked us in that morning. And then she asked for identification. Honestly, I was taken aback. I have never been asked for ID in any hotel I've stayed at, high or low end. I'm not sure what the point of that was, but after not having received a call to let us know our room was ready, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I was over-sensitive because I was tired.

Our room was fine. We stayed in 229. I'm not sure how it was different from a standard size room. I can't make a comparison since I haven't seen a standard room, but it had the normal bed, desk, and armchair configuration. I asked specifically whether the room was a signature room, and the person who checked us in said it was. The bathroom was very small, especially for a hotel of this caliber. There was only one sink, and it was cramped. The bathtub abutted the sink, and the shower curtain wasn't long enough to hide the sink area. There was no fan in the bathroom, so it got steamy pretty quickly. We had one window, and the view from our room was over the square of Trinity Church, but it was obstructed by a flag pole and the top of the front entry. The closet light wasn't working, which wouldn't have been too much of a problem except that was where the only full-length mirror was. Our sheets were scratchy.

All in all, we had an okay stay. The best part was the location. I was a bit put off by the service - it wasn't up to par for this level of hotel. Maybe it was because we used our American Express points. If that's really the case, they should discontinue the program. We wouldn't upgrade to a signature room again because we didn't really see any benefit. Maybe we got some extra floor space, but it didn't add anything to the room. Next time, we'll stay at the Ritz or the Four Seasons. We would have stayed there this time, but they were booked.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The front desk
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank williams44
Alabama
Reviewed June 7, 2007

after reading some older reviews about disappointed guests & god forbid mice in the room, I immediately called my husband to see if we could cancel. we couldn't-or at least, he wasn't going to! SO glad that we didn't. Its definitely worth the extra money (and you save it later!!) if you stay on the 4th floor Gold Club level. you will be treated like royalty-immediately we walked off the elevator and were greeted by name. They "gold club" is the hospitality or concierge area that includes a library with books & DVDs you can borrow, chess & scrabble set up, a private office with computer/printer/internet, formal living room, dining area & kitchen-the best part!! they serve breakfast (we're talking full buffet-not just continental), happy hour with appetizers & cookies before bed. Throughout the day you have full access to the coffee, bar & coolers filled with beverages, bottled water, beers, juices, etc. the only charge is for wine/beer/ cocktaails and its the honor system- $5 per drink (very reasonable for Boston!).
considering we ate breakfast there every morning and also had drinks & hors dourves a few times in the late afternoon we definitely saved money and feel the upgrade was wonderful & well worth it! Also, it was great to stop at the concierge desk and get suggestions/directions/weather report/ reservations, etc on our way in or out.
I honestly can say our stay was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful (on all levels-not just the 4th floor!).

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank 623sgcb
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2007

This was a one night stay so my contact with the hotel was limited.

I thought the front desk and it's President's Club Check in was a model of efficiency.

My room was a rather strange one. I assume that when the hotel opened in 1913, this was two tiny rooms with a shared bath. As it is now configured, one of the rooms is a tiny two armchair and a desk sitting room, the other a bedroom with an armoire holding a TV and the minibar. The bathroom is between these rooms. A little odd and were I staying longer I would have requested something else. The bathroom is fine, the cleanliness unquestionable and the bed comfortable.

I was pleased to see that one of the benefits of memembership in the President's Club is free internet access. Unfortunately, I use WiFi so much that I'd left my ethernet card at home and could not be connected through the hotel system. This led to an unfortunate use of the lobby work stations which are pay per use and I ended with a staggering $30.50 bill for 13 minutes of service and the printing a boarding pass. Buyer beware.
There is no business center here and that I think is a major debit for this property.

• Liked — Fantastic location.
  • Disliked — Two tiny rooms masquerading as one.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Writer46
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2007

Fairmont Copley Plaza
*******************
My wife and I stayed at the Plaza during the last weeks of May.
Externally impressive with its imposing façade and location within Copley square, the hotel is worthy of its status as an American Heritage property.
The gilded hallway leading to reception also gave the feel of quality, however at check in it became obvious that we could have been staying in any old city hotel.
As we approached the desk the young receptionist switched to autopilot and autocue and asked her obligatory list of Yes / No book-in questions; unfortunately by now we gained the impression that we were no longer special, despite $600 per night.
Our room was large and located on an upper floor with a view over the square. The room was clean, tidy and well serviced but lacked character.( I suppose like most hotel rooms but not what you’d expect here). The decoration although fresh had a distinctly DIY finish, particularly in the marble bathroom.
The walk in corner wardrobe was a joke, and I’d expect even the great Houdini would have had difficulty getting in and out of it successfully.
The Oak room restaurant served up a decent breakfast and dinner - at a price.
The Oak room bar certainly had lots of character and came to life in the evenings - this helped to relieve the general staid and lacklustre feel to the hotel.

Despite our gripes which may sound a bit petty, we enjoyed our stay in the “grand old dame”, but would we stay again – No - We’ve stayed in better.
Would we stay in Boston – YES - What a tremendous city.

• Liked — The external appearance and history
  • Disliked — Soleless atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank shark3132
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed May 22, 2007

I first stayed at the Copley Plaza over 19 years ago when I arrived with my parents to start studying at Boston Univeristy. While it doesn't quite feel like the same grand old hotel anymore, my recent stay there with my husband was quite lovely. Our room was a very decent size (although for a 'deluxe' I did expect something a little bigger) and although the bathroom was small and we had no view from our window, neither put a damper on things. The staff was helpful and courteous and the location simply does not get any better.

Katie, the resident black lab in the lobby, added an amazing touch to the whole place. She greeted us every day on our way in and out and posed quite happliy for pictures with her new book.

I do have to agree with the reviewer who mentioned the weird smell in the room. We were constantly leaving our window open to get rid of it.

Since we get a very decent corporate rate through my husband's company I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple