“Nice above average hotel in Boston....”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #22 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Suburbs
“Nice above average hotel in Boston....”
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Had a party at the Fairmont, booked 2 rooms. Unless you get a great deal on the rate, it is expensive for the regular rooms. I have been here before, only stayed in the average rooms. I would like to see if the club floor or suites were outstanding. The rooms tend to be nice, the bathrooms are tiny. There is no coffee machine, and no coffee sold in the lobby, so room service is the only option, or go out to get coffee. The 2 pots of coffee serving 6 people, was 50.00 plus tip. That is a lot for coffee, got a whole breakfast delivered on linen with flowers at the Ritz Boston for less. 40/nite to park, valet never got my luggage out, a few problems but close to T, Pretty location, great resturants around.
Liked this hotel better than the Copley Plaza Hotel, but not as nice as the Ritz Boston Common.
The lobby is average, nice old bostonian bar, very elegant, but pricey. Nice location on Copley Square. The Door man/ Bellman? was helpful getting a gang to the North End for dinner.

• Liked — Location,
  • Disliked — /coffee prices
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring money
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank horseneck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reviewed October 10, 2006

My daughters and I stayed at the Fairmont Oct. 7th, 2006 for 3 nights. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The beds are to die for. Front desk was very accomodating. Requested to change room from 1st floor because of smoking rooms nearby. I was on the 6th floor the next day and they took care of moving luggage and all. Front desk is wonderful! This hotel is the perfect location to all shopping and subway. When I return, I will stay nowhere but here. My only complaint is the Oak Room. I ordered a Stoli Cosmo and it cost me $17.00. That I will NEVER do again. UGH!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — Oak Room prices
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank New2it2000
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I spent an absolutely lovely night here last week and recommend it highly.

I had booked through Priceline, and it was the first time I had ever used their service. I was only staying one night, I was arriving late, and I was willing to take a gamble.

Smart gamble it was indeed! The drawbacks were these: I was given the smallest room at the hotel, but it was still extremely comfortable for one and beautifully appointed to boot. There were no views as it faced buildings on both sides, but since I was only staying one night, I didn't care, and it was blissfully quiet. There was no dresser and thus no drawer space (although again, one night, who cares), the bathroom was small (but it was comfortable and had good amenities), and one of the two phones in the room didn't work.

On the plus side was absolutely everything else. I arrived just before 11pm. The hotel was still fully staffed, and every single person that dealt with me, down to the room service attendent, was absolutely lovely. The restaurant had closed so I called for room service at 11:30. It arrived in less than 15 minutes, piping hot, and, surprisingly, was actually extremely good. The mini bar was well stocked, and a half bottle of a wonderful red wine that is one of my favorites at home was among the choices.

The room was beautiful....almost like a small luxury hotel in Paris. The wireless internet worked perfectly even though the hotel only guaranteed wireless in the lobby. They graciously allowed me a late check out even though I was leaving on a Friday that was the start of a busy holiday weekend.

I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat....although I would choose a larger room if I were staying longer than a couple of days or if I were to be more than one person. Let me just reiiterate though that I was in the smallest room the hotel offers (because of my price choice) and that their average double rooms are probably more than comfortable for two.

I liked everything about the Fairmont Copley....the location is perfect, the hotel itself is quite beautiful and has a lot of old world charm, and the staff are just terrific. Of the many places I've stayed in Boston, this is so far my favorite.

• Liked — The staff and the comfort of the rooms.
  • Disliked — That there was no dresser (ie drawer space) in the room.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank GeorgicaPond
Rhode Island
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I should preface this by noting that we used Rewards Points to pay for our stay, so the only cost to us was the parking.

We chose the Fairmont because it was part of our points package and it was within walking distance to the Wang Theatre (about 15-20 minutes). As well, they also welcomed our dog.

The valet and doorman were nice and friendly when we drove up. And we were very pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a king suite when we checked in, so the visit got off to a great start. It was pretty busy in the hotel at the time - looked like there was some sort of seminar or something going on - so it took a while for the few bags we had to make it upstairs.

The room was excellent! The bathroom was very spacious - two smaller rooms (toilet/bidet/large shower "stall" in one and vanity and large tub in the other) - and the rest of the room was very large (spacious enough for the king bed, a couple of bedside tables, the armoire, a couch, a bench at the end of the bed, a coffee table - you get the picture).

I did check out the fitness center - it was small, but seemed to have the basics - 2 or 3 treadmills, a couple of eliptical machines, a good stack of weights, as well as a universal. The equipment looked pretty new. It appeared to be very clean and well-maintained - just as the rest of the hotel appears to be.

We were in and out of the hotel and the staff was always very friendly/helpful the few times we had questions. Our only complaint was that the shower stall ended up leaking water profusely on the floor - I felt bad about it and we cleaned it up as best we could and left the towels in the tub.

According to our bill, the hotel would have cost $260/night, which considering it's a four star, nicely located, and the room was actually a suite, probably isn't too bad. (We'll be staying at the Onyx soon, which will cost us more.) Money permitting, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Liked — Well-appointed, clean, friendly
  • Disliked — Expensive extras (internet)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MannyL
Chicago
Reviewed October 7, 2006

Fantastic lobby and downhill from there.

This is one of those hotels that charges you every chance they get. Another reviewer cited the $7 bottle of water. What he forgot to mention is that it really is $7+tax+a 10% restocking fee". I travel a lot on business and have never heard of a "restocking fee".Cha-ching.

You want a coffee pot in your room? You know, like Courtyard's routinley supply. Well that coffee pot's gonna cost you $10 per night. Cha-ching.

How about hi-speed internet service? $13.95. Cha-ching.

And after all those charges, all you ahve is a small room in a tired old hotel.

Give me a new Marriott any day.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank bness_traveler
central PA
Reviewed October 4, 2006

Stayed here for one night on business the week of 10/2. The attention to detail of this hotel is one of the best I've ever seen. Room was clean and comfortable and the food was great. Couldn't have been a better stay.

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank burke140
Toronto
Reviewed September 29, 2006

The service at the hotel is first rate, location is superb. But if you are a businessman or family looking for comfort and space.... this is not for you.

The lobby is massive, lush, and well appointed. This image begins to deteriorate when one walks into the cramped elevator, and dips further as musty odours waft you towards your tiny room.

I'm sure you can pay for a sitting room and all, but I didn't and the room is so small that you almost have to squeeze by the foot of you bed to get to the bathroom. If you want to watch TV, there is no 'sitting room' style chair even. You either sit on edge of your bed, or lay down and watch it at an angle.

Like most 'old lady' hotels (with apologies to any elderly women), the money has been spent in the lobby for those touring it's historical significance vice business style amenities for those staying there. A final kicker - 7$ for a bottle of water in the room - come on!.

As with many who travel constantly, please.... book me at the Courtyard Marriot or equivalent next time! Likely cheaper for the company, and more practical!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business