“Mouse in the house!”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2006

I was at the Fairmont Copley for a large conference this week-after staying at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess and having an awful experience I thought I would try again..one last time. I was promised by the reservation agent that I would have a wonderful stay at the Fairmont Copley. Well....reservations agents should not make promises. I have stayed there for four nights and have the following comments.

I stayed in a duluxe double with a view of Copley Square. The only window in the very large room looked out over Copley was so small I could only see the Square when I was in the bed closest to that little window and leaned out to see. There was also a very large brown stain on the floor by a bed that had not been removed. They did just do a large renovation but the paint had already started to come off the ceiling above the shower curtain (that wouldn't fit around the whole shower ...brrrr) there are cracks in the paint around the crown moldings and the insides of the closet was old and tarnished from the wooden hangers hitting the wall a clothes were taken off.

1. Service: My resfreshment basket was totally empty for two days. On the third day the stocker came into my room while I was working on my laptop without knocking on the door and breezed into restock.

At check out I noticed I had been charged very high amounts for the refreshment center though I had not used it (since there had been nothing in it). So either one of their employees is taking things and charging it to the customer, or the last customer who was there took everything from it when they left and then by the time the stocker came in to count what was missing a new customer (me) had been there for three days and was therefore charged! In some hotels I have seen a weighted system where as soon as someone grabs something from the basket or scale it will be changed to your room if not replaced within 60 seconds. (Wynn Hotel, Las Vegas)

2. On the last two nights of my stay a little mouse came right under my door (there is a two inch gap that allows hallway light or mice to get in) I called the front desk who seemed quite surprised and then a maintenence person decided to mosey on up a half and hour later. He then returned with traps with peanut butter and placed them next to my shoes in the closet and under the safe. So the mouse came back the next night to pay me a visit and didn't seem to pay the traps much bother.

3. Katie Copley the resident Black Lab does have a bit of an attitude (as reported in another one of your member surveys) and didn't really seem to care that I was trying to pet her. She just looked away.

4. Working in your room. I had a lot of work to be done which I thought could be done in the privacy of my room-yet during the day there seemed to be staff member after staff member coming in and out of the room (some not even knocking) like it was grand central. It was a very noisy environment to work in. The doors do not have spring hinges to keep the heavy OLD doors from slamming behind people as they come and go and the staff seem not to care about letting their customers sleep at night when noisy radios are blasting with security and housekeeping/staff are yelling back and forth to eachother in the hall while cleaning.

5. Compensation- I did complain about the mouse and the issue of the refreshment bar not being stocked, and me still getting charged for the whole basket and I was told that I would not be charged for the refreshment baskets, and would be given a nights stay and my phone calls would be taken off my bill. I felt this was nice. She also said that she would put me on preseidents level (which I think is open to all) so that was helpful and she was very pleasant.

6. As I have read comments from customer reviews and have stayed in now two Fairmonts (Hamilton Bermuda and Boston Copley and about to stay at the Queen Elizabeth in Montreal-but the reviews are awful) I am unsure as to whether or not I would be staying in a Fairmont again. There seems to be a constant problem with staff, customer service, cleanliness all for the amount of money people have to pay to be a part of a large and historic hotel company.

The legacy aspect of this company seems to be lost in the big business of what seems to play a larger role in the Fairmont Legacy at this point. As big business becomes more and more important these days the historical legacy of an iconic hotel industry will soon be lost and it is the customers and the old hotels that are being forgotten.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
15  Thank Brobs72
Write a ReviewReviews (3,306)

Reviewed February 18, 2006

This is one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The rooms are large and beautiful, very clean. This is a great location in the city, walking distance to shopping and many great restaurants and only one block from the subway. Choose your room carefully - the rooms facing the interior "courtyard" overlook a rooftop and airconditioning, and have very little sunlight. The rooms facing the street are large, bright and beautiful. Staff is helpful and kind. The lounge offers some of the best drinks and jazz music. I recommend this hotel for vacationers and business travelers. EXCELLENT hotel!

Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank SarahMpls
A TripAdvisor Member
Providence, RI
Reviewed February 10, 2006

This is a four or five diamond property in the heart of Boston. The views are not the best, but you are in Boston for goodness sakes. Are you gonna want to stare out of your room the whole time? The staff met my every need immediately upon request. Upon entering you feel transformed into the Renaissance that is Back Bay in Boston. Fairmont never dissapoints and this is no exception.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2006

We just returned from a most enjoyable 3 night stay at this plush hotel. The location is superb - in the fashionable Back Bay district of Boston, just off of Newbury Street which has numerous upscale shops and restaurants. The hotel is a 10 minute walk From Bostom Common and The Public Gardens, and 15-20 minutes from Beacon Hill.

Common areas are very lavish and elegant. Rooms are extremely large - request a signature room with a view of Copley Plaza. Our room was atleast 50% larger than typical hotel rooms. Very beautifully furnished and very quiet.

Hotel staff is outstanding in every respect. Very accomodating and helpful. Superb service at every turn.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank TLBobby
Reviewed December 21, 2005

We just returned from a five night stay at the Fairmont Copley. The location of the hotel is excellent- dining, shopping at sight seeing are all within easy walking distance or a quick ride on the T. Our room was clean,and spacious; bathroom was elegant. Overall our stay was very relaxing and enjoyable.

We lived in Boston for five years and moved away a few months ago and this was our first time back. I had read various reviews and at the time the Fairmont had the least negative comments,that and it's ideal location prompted me to then find the best rate. I found a very reasonable rate on the hotel's website, although I had to prepay. Upon arrival I was informed that I was upgraded to a deluxe room :)

Upon departure if you valet your car I would allow 15-20 min or so for them to retrieve it. In addition, when checking out the there may be a slight delay if many people are checking out at the same time so plan according. Call the bell captain 15-20 min (just to be on the safe side) before you leave if you need help with your luggage.

If you are concerned about outside noise, I would recommend an interior room. It was so quiet- you wouldn't guess you were staying in downtown Boston. The rooms that face the street are on the T line, and there is quite a bit a traffic that passses buy so it tends to be a little loud.

Just a comment on a previous review-The Oak Bar at the Fairmont is very popular so reservations would be a good idea. Also it is quite fancy so proper dress is suggested. eg. no jeans

The location is great- CVS is right across the street, Starbucks and the Copley T stop (subway) is less than a block away.

Here are a few of my favorite places if you need suggestions on places to go while you are in Boston.

Fanueil Hall
Houston's
Naked Fish

North End
Mike's Pastry
Modern Pastry (ricotta canoli- yum!!)
Brunch with Outdoor Seating (for summer)
Joes American Cafe
The Living Room

Copley/Downtown
Top of the Hub at the Prudential Building (just for drinks- and a fabulous view of Boston, dinner is ok and a little overpriced)
Atlantic Fish Company
Stephanie's on Newbury
Whiskey Park (at the Park Plaza Hotel)
Finale's (for dessert- try the creme brulee or the molten chocolate cake, also at the Park Plaza Hotel)

Hope you enjoy your stay at the Fairmont- we're definitely staying there when we return to Boston.

• Stayed: December 2005
9  Thank Stacey589
A TripAdvisor Member
Manchester, Vermont
Reviewed December 8, 2005

As a Fairmont President's Club Premier Member, we were upgraded to a 950 square feet Park Suite. Space is nice, but age of the hotel showed. Dings, dents and the only internet access was at the desk in the bedroom with none in the living room meaning that I would awaken my wife early in the morning to get any work done. Bathroom has no forced air heat or a/c outlet and, with 20 degree weather outside, it was pretty darned cold. Housekeeping great, however, and empty fridge in pantry was nice. Service personnel, other than the "Oak" rooms (see below), are outstanding, but the resident Labrador Retriever, Catie, has a bit of an attitude (strange for a Lab!)

The Oak Room and Oak Bar are another story. Waiting 15 to 20 minutes for a drink in the Oak Bar most nights was such a hassle that we bypassed it. Dinner in the Oak Room was ok, but not spectacular and the table was too small for all the plates. Gave up on breakfast Sunday morning as it took 10 minutes for someone to take our names and to inform us of at least a 20 minute wait. Decamped to the Westin Copley Place and were seated at once.

Monday morning breakfast was outstanding in quality, but non-existant in service. Muslim "Steve Martin" in a busboy named Mohammed, who informed us 10 minutes later, that he "forgot" our request for cream and did not replace the cold coffee with hot. Waiter was "slower than molasses in January" and about as enthusiastic as a dead fish.

Bottom line is that if you want a "Grand Dame" with a long history and a "name", go over to the northwest corner of Arlington and Newbury Street and check into the renovated and refreshed Ritz-Carlton where you can have a heated bathroom, a drink on demand and breakfast that can be served in under two hours. The Fairmont (former C.P. Hotels) properties in Canada are better managed than most of them in the U.S. Chicago being the outstanding exception. No more, no way, never again and sorry to say it.

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 26, 2005

We enjoyed every moment at the Copley Plaza where we celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary. Everyone of the staff was helpful, friendly, courteous and professional..the valet parker, the doorman, the guest registrar, the bellhop, the room service waiter and the concierge. The bedroom and bathroom were recently renovated and very elegant. The bathroom had both a beautiful tub and a separate
glass/tile shower.
Previous reviewers have stated that the mini-bar is expensive as is the room-service breakfast. It's true, but the charges are the norm for any hotel in this class and price range. You can simply choose not to use them.
The quality of every aspect of the hotel and the professionalism of all the staff
will keep us coming back in the future and we would recommend it to anyone without any hesitation or qualifications at all.

• Stayed: November 2005