“Grand Dame or Old Bag?”

GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Manchester, Vermont
Reviewed December 8, 2005

As a Fairmont President's Club Premier Member, we were upgraded to a 950 square feet Park Suite. Space is nice, but age of the hotel showed. Dings, dents and the only internet access was at the desk in the bedroom with none in the living room meaning that I would awaken my wife early in the morning to get any work done. Bathroom has no forced air heat or a/c outlet and, with 20 degree weather outside, it was pretty darned cold. Housekeeping great, however, and empty fridge in pantry was nice. Service personnel, other than the "Oak" rooms (see below), are outstanding, but the resident Labrador Retriever, Catie, has a bit of an attitude (strange for a Lab!)

The Oak Room and Oak Bar are another story. Waiting 15 to 20 minutes for a drink in the Oak Bar most nights was such a hassle that we bypassed it. Dinner in the Oak Room was ok, but not spectacular and the table was too small for all the plates. Gave up on breakfast Sunday morning as it took 10 minutes for someone to take our names and to inform us of at least a 20 minute wait. Decamped to the Westin Copley Place and were seated at once.

Monday morning breakfast was outstanding in quality, but non-existant in service. Muslim "Steve Martin" in a busboy named Mohammed, who informed us 10 minutes later, that he "forgot" our request for cream and did not replace the cold coffee with hot. Waiter was "slower than molasses in January" and about as enthusiastic as a dead fish.

Bottom line is that if you want a "Grand Dame" with a long history and a "name", go over to the northwest corner of Arlington and Newbury Street and check into the renovated and refreshed Ritz-Carlton where you can have a heated bathroom, a drink on demand and breakfast that can be served in under two hours. The Fairmont (former C.P. Hotels) properties in Canada are better managed than most of them in the U.S. Chicago being the outstanding exception. No more, no way, never again and sorry to say it.

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,260)

Reviewed November 26, 2005

We enjoyed every moment at the Copley Plaza where we celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary. Everyone of the staff was helpful, friendly, courteous and professional..the valet parker, the doorman, the guest registrar, the bellhop, the room service waiter and the concierge. The bedroom and bathroom were recently renovated and very elegant. The bathroom had both a beautiful tub and a separate
glass/tile shower.
Previous reviewers have stated that the mini-bar is expensive as is the room-service breakfast. It's true, but the charges are the norm for any hotel in this class and price range. You can simply choose not to use them.
The quality of every aspect of the hotel and the professionalism of all the staff
will keep us coming back in the future and we would recommend it to anyone without any hesitation or qualifications at all.

6  Thank fjpanda
Reviewed November 13, 2005

Just returned from spending three glorious days at the Copley Plaza and were impressed from the moment we arrived and entered the extremely grand lobby area.
We were part of a group of 40 travellers and others in the group complained that the rooms were small but we had no complaints, with a spotless and very spacious corner room with two queen beds. The bathroom was marble and again with all the mod cons.
Try to get down to breakfast early as the Oak Room isnt particularly large. Service can be fairly laid back and the waiters dont seem to cope so well when things start getting busy.
No other complaints and we found it the perfect luxury base for a city break. Its also ideally located for all the shopping malls and attractions that Boston has to offer.

4  Thank Gusfenton
Reviewed November 9, 2005

We stayed here in September 05 and had a wonderful huge room with large adjoining bathroom overlooking the square. The reception rooms are magnificent. This hotel had all the little extra touches that you would expect from a Fairmont. Breakfast in the Oak Room was very good and substantial with very efficient service. Check in too was efficient. The hotel is very convenient for sight seeing, the Prudential tower being a couple of blocks away, the Hancock tower next door and the Boston Public Library accross the street. We were overcharged by $200, but this was quickly rectified to our satisfaction. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank Thelma&Louise
Reviewed November 6, 2005

WOW!!! My daughter and I spent the weekend at the Fairmount Copley Plaza on the President's Club Floor. WOW!!! This hotel has so much class and grace. The bed was the most comfortable ever, including my own at home. Our room, basically a standard room, was huge, which is nonexistent in the newer chain hotels. The bathroom had been refurbished with beautiful black marble and had every toiletry provided, top of the line. We had a beautiful view of Copley Park from both the bedroom and the bathroom. The hotel is conveniently located adjacent to a lot of shopping and restaurants, but being on the club floor with the snacks and beverages, we only ended up eating out twice. The staff is usually what give a hotel it's character and the staff here is first class all the way. Treat yourself and plan a visit!

8  Thank debbierich
Reviewed October 30, 2005

Well, I certainly had high hopes when I saw the lobby of the hotel - it was absolutely stunning upon arrival. Unfortunately the lobby (and the hotel's location) were the only things I can rave about.

For $475 night, I expected a clean, non-smoking room....nothing extravagent, considering the Boston prices are so high...what I found upon arrival was pet hair on the chair / bed, and smoke wafting in through the vents of my room. The bathroom was exceptionally small (to the point where you couldn't really have any items on the sink, and it's tiny size could truly only accomodate one person). The shower was old and moldy...tile cracked in the bathroom...clearly not my idea of a "recent renovation". I'd comment on the view, but there was none.

After a call to the front desk, we were upgraded to the "Club-level" which meant a slightly larger bathroom, and a larger room. As the bell-man let us into the room, we discovered 8 pillows lying in the middle of the room. Was there a party going on prior to our arrival? The room was very dusty, and clearly hadn't been used in a while. There was still smoke drifting in through the vents, but not as bad.

The Club level breakfast is quite lame...a few muffins and bagels and fruit. Honestly, the setting was nice, but the food was not noteworthy.

Upon leaving I was told I couldn't have a receipt for my room (as it was paid for on my Corporate Expedia account). I have never had that experience before - they are always more than happy to print off a receipt for me. Now that I am home, I just recently opened my Visa bill, and gues what - another separate charge of $385 in addition to my Expedia bill. I am curious to see how long it will take them to straighten that out.

Perhaps my visit was just a fluke, but be warned that the hotel is old, old, old, the rooms are not charming and have no view, and the bathrooms are the worst I've ever stayed in...if you must be in this part of Boston, do yourself a favor and stay at the Westin. It's by no means extravagant, but it's better than the Fairmont.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank Ings
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC
Reviewed October 10, 2005

We have just booked rooms for our third visit this year to the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Staying there is reason enough to travel to Boston. The Gold Level is the best "club level" we have tried.
The Gomes Family.