“The Lobby is Pretty”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This kind of hotel is not my thing. If "Classic and of an era gone by" are what you like then this might be good for you. The lobby area drips with crystal, mosaic tile, and other fancy stuff and is interesting to wander through. Looks like a great event venue for fancy occasions but not so much a trendy business stopover. My visit wasn't that great because they were renovating the restaurant so you had to go out to eat. Room service food was good the one night I used it but $$$$. Room was a yawn. Grey and blue with dark wood, dull. Small bathroom, with little counter space. Maintenance on a standpipe right outside my room went on for awhile. No vending if you want a late night beverage. Sundries store closed at 8:00 pm. Would have been nice had they said when I checked in...our restaurant is closed here are 3 options right near here and handed that information over. For the price, my recommendation is to look at all the options in this area. I love the Fairmont in San Francisco, this isn't anything like it. Maybe I had that expectation of the Fairmont Brand being consistent.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer Z, Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm so sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied by your recent stay with us. In particular, I'd like to extend our sincerest apologies for the restaurant being closed - we had some cosmetic work that needed to be done and unfortunately we could not complete it off-hours. Still, this should have been appropriately communicated to you upon check-in, and for that I do apologize. Thank you, again, for your comments and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to "wow" you on your next trip to Boston.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My fiance and I have been to this hotel twice, and each time we have been amazed at the beauty and opulence of the interior. We have stayed in both a one-bedroom suite and a standard room, and can confidently say that I doubt that there is a mediocre room in this hotel. The staff are also gracious, welcoming, and extremely helpful. The location is also very walkable to many of Boston's most popular attractions, such as the Boston Common, Newbury Street, and others.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TwoRoamingTravelers

Hello, and thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your fiance enjoyed both of your visits - especially that you found my colleagues "gracious, welcoming, and extremely helpful." Thank you, again, for your post and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is a classic boston hotel located in Copley square. The rooms are like most other fairmonts, to say they are well decorated, clean but from a different era. The hotel has got a fantastic lobby with beautiful hotel dog to welcome you. The bar and restaurant has been updated over the years and is now a modern bar to hang out in. The wifi in the hotel is fast for a phone device but maybe not a laptop. Great location.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank soapdodger73
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Wonderful location in Boston (across the street from Copley Plaza, a short walk to Newbury Street and a within steps of great restaurants).
The lobby of this hotel is very ornate and attractive and the service was second to none. We stayed in a beautiful suite (the Catie Copley) which was decorated with modern amenities but the style still adhered to the quality of this stately hotel.
We ate twice in the Oak room and the food was delicious, presented nicely and served with a smile. The staff were efficient and friendly, as you'd expect in Boston. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a high standard of accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelwoman4

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us - the Catie Copley Suite is certainly lovely! I'm also pleased that you enjoyed our central location and popular restaurant, OAK, and found my colleagues to be warm and friendly. Thank you, again, for your post and I hope we'll be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I usually opt for newer hotels but was very pleased by the roof that the Fairmont Copley Plaza offered me last night. It has the beauty and the character of a legendary hotel without the sad worn look of the common rooms, accomodations and bathrooms. Service was just ok as they were very busy but food was solid. Rooms are big and bathrooms are classic without being outdated. Great location close to Back Bay Station. Would deifnitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank rdkflk
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The staff went completely out of their way for us. My family lives in the Boston area but my boyfriend and I decided this year to stay in a hotel instead of with the family. We will never stay with the family again! haha. The staff was so accommodating, even though it was only my first time there! They found a beautiful place in the lounge for my family to visit and exchange Christmas presents. The location is wonderful, especially because it was raining our whole stay. The hotel is right next to a large shopping area. The restaurant and bar and the Fairmont are also exquisite. I've stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world and this hotel is one of the best!

Room Tip: The fourth floor has a lounge that is really nice, especially in the winter because there is a lovel...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheryl B

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for your post! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday visit with us in December - especially that you found my colleagues so accommodating and helpful. It sounds like you had a truly lovely time. Thank you, again, for sharing your experience with us and I hope we'll get to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've stayed at dozens of luxury hotels around the US & to be honest, most of them tend to look the same quickly. The Fairmont Copley is the most welcome exception to this trend!

If you're looking for a historic hotel that's got great public spaces, a wonderfully curated collection of prints (Matisse, Picasso, and more) neatly adorning the walls and more, this is the place for you.

The location? Couldn't be better for exploring this charms, cultural attractions and more around the Back Bay. You'll want to also grab a drink in the Oak Long Bar, which was recently renovated (2011, I think) and it's a place to spend time with friends or make new ones.

It's warm, the staff is gracious and it's a fine piece of Boston's past, present, and future.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business