“Best fairmont Hotel visited so far”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 18, 2014

It certainly lives up to the hype of a Fairmont property. Stayed in the Copley Suite and it was stuning. Located in the middle of everything. Don't need a car to go around the area and next door shopping is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 917BlueSky
Write a ReviewReviews (3,304)

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My daughter and I were in Boston recently to visit colleges. We chose to stay in the Copley area because we wanted to be close to Newbury Street, Copley Plaza, Emerson, and historic Trinity church. I have stayed in Fairmont properties before, and decided to stay in this hotel for the central location, and because the rate was lower than the Four Seasons. We couldn’t have been more pleased!

Our corner room on the sixth floor was not on the gold floor, but was more than ample for what we needed.

At the end of the day we felt like we received better service than the Four Seasons, and a better location. Joe on the concierge desk was extremely helpful and personable. John in the Oak Room provided a delightful breakfast that came with our package. Benjamin assisted us with our late checkout, and was beyond attentive in making sure we maximized our time in Back Bay Boston, before heading to the airport (later in the day). The property has an “at home”, personal feel, and not a manufactured corporate feel.

In the future, we will always stay at this property as we made friends with several of the key employees and the location for us was perfect!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank GTCruiser
Jennifer Z, Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Hello, and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm pleased to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit - especially that you found my colleagues Joe, John, and Ben so helpful. I'm so glad that we will be your go-to hotel for future trips to Boston! Thank you, again, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards,
Jennifer Zajac
Area Manager, Internet Marketing

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont Copley in November for a 6 night break and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The staff on the Gold Floor were extremely courteous, helpful and made us feel very welcome. With the separate lounge and dining facilities for Gold Floor members it feels like home from home. Rooms are spacious and beds so comfy and the wifi reception good. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2014

It may no longer be 5 star but it beats the Savoy London , it's sister hotel. I was fearful about what they had done to the oak bar but I need not have worried its a vibrant bustling bar with great food and wonderful staff. John is a gentleman and full of local knowledge about bars and restaurants. He recommended Toscano in Charles street it was wonderful just what I was looking for , also suggested Champions bar to watch the football and it did what it said on the tin, a sports bar with real atmosphere. I can't thank Joe the concierge enough, he was excellent suggesting 3 eating stops for me ,all were terrific and just what I had asked for. These guys aside all the team were friendly approachable and so welcoming. I admit to being worried about going back after the refurb but the rooms are much improved and it all works. They also kept Catie the dog so all is well in the world. It's the only place to stay in Boston.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Hello, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear that you admired our renovated bar and restaurant, OAK, and it's wonderful staff. It's also great to hear that enjoyed our renovated guest rooms! Thank you, again, for your post and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Boston.

Warm Regards,
Jennifer Zajac
Area Manager, Internet Marketing

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have stayed for three nights at the FCP Gold Floor between Christmas and News Years for many years. It's my Christmas present to myself. So it's sad to report that what made this place so special is fading fast. The rooms are lackluster due to the major redecoration that took place a couple of years ago. Gone are the sumptuous blues and golds that gave the rooms character, replaced by the "soothing, spa-like" browns and beiges that are the hallmarks of chain hotels everywhere. Gone is the snack mix that used to be available in the lounge area (last year had been replaced with pretzels, this year...nothing at all), and newly departed this year are the garnishes (olives, cherries, lemon peel, lime) that once were a staple of the honor bar. It's these little cut corners that make the Gold Floor seem more like a Residence Inn or a Hampton Inn than the Grande Dame of Boston's hotels.

Indeed, the quality of the evening hors d'ouevres has deteriorated to the level of a budget hotel. The last night I was there, for example there were fried artichokes, marinated artichokes, and artichoke bruscetta. No cheese. No nuts. No crudite. But plenty of artichokes.

I understand why the Gold Floor is popular with families (Kids eat free!), but I don't understand why I keep returning (although the staff has never acknowledged this) expecting the charming urban respite that is, sadly, long gone.

So: if you have ravenous but not picky kids, this is the place for you. Otherwise, think twice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer Z, Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Hello, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. While I'm pleased to see you rate us 4 out of 5 stars, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent experience on the Gold floor. After sharing your post with our Fairmont Gold Manager, Stefan Carstens, he explained that as of this month, all garnishes have been added back to the honor bar. Though a "sweet" snack mix is currently offered in the Lounge, he also assured me that his team is currently exploring additional options. We appreciate your comments, as well as your patronage, and hope you'll give us another chance to make your annual visit a memorable one!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Turned up at midnight after a second day of flight cancellations and they couldn't have been nicer. Room was tastefully done and very spacious, and the hotel is home to the beautiful Oak Room. Perfect location for exploring Boston landmarks.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed here over New Year. The room was a good size and good quality. Kept very clean. Service was top notch from start to finish with extra care to make sure we had a great holiday. Due to the bad weather we had to stay an extra night - this was made easy but also we had another wonderful night and breakfast. This is not a cheap hotel but it is stylish and authentic and so close to everything you need that I would highly recommend it.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple