“Don't be disappointed ....be prepared !”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have traveled to various Fairmont properties through the US and Canada and was shocked at the lack of care and inferior service received in Boston.I spent 5 days here and it never got better. Let me start by saying Boston is a beautiful city and the location of this hotel is IDEAL for enjoying all that Boston offers, Loved being at the Square and walking to most everything that there is to see and do in Boston.
The staff is quite cold and formal. No warm greeting when you arrive . Very business like. The legendary Oak Room is beautiful. However, the service is about the worst I have every experienced .
Recap of just a few examples :
Tried to get breakfast before heading to a meting . The restaurant had only a few people in it . They misplaced my order and I had to leave . The server was frazzled and I am not sure why being that the place was empty .
The next day tried to order breakfast again. After waiting 20 minutes , the server AND manager were involved . They scrambled to bring out toast .....no eggs or coffee that had been ordered. s the toast sat there getting cold, they finally brought eggs. COLD . No butter . No coffee. . At this point I needed to get to my meeting . I said I would just take the check and the coffee in a to go cup. That took ANOTHER 10 minutes. Not sure what was going in. There was plenty of staff and few diners. Just poor management ?
The evening bar experience was just as disappointing. Don't forget your credit card . A glass of wine and a martini will cost you $32 before the tip ! Yes....$20 for a martini and $12 for a glass of basic wine. And the drinks were not oversized at all.
No nuts, napkins, snaks served with the cocktails.
No value .
I wanted to use the computer in the lobby . They charge. I assumed being a President Club member that there might be complimentary access. Not here.
The room was $400 / night for the basic room. Not an upgraded room . Wait till you see all the taxes and service fees that are added on!
No Internet access at that price ? REALLY ?
Also surprised that there is no pool or Spa .
I can add MANY more experiences like this, but I think you get the jest of my experience.
The room was comfortable . The location was outstanding .
Next time in Boston I will do it differently , for sure .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Greekchick
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Hello, and thank you for your post. I’m very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent visit, but I’d like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. First and foremost, I’m disappointed to hear that you found our staff “cold” and “formal” – We aim to make every guest feel welcomed and at-home in our hotel, so I’m sorry that we did not deliver. As for the service you experienced in our restaurant, I’d like to again apologize – what you describe is simply unacceptable and certainly not up to our standards. However, I would like to point out that our martinis are, indeed, oversized and thoughtfully priced for such a generous pour. Also, as a member of the Fairmont President’s Club you do receive complimentary Internet access. I am very sorry if this benefit was not communicated to you when you signed up, at your previous Fairmont stays, or upon check-in with us. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, formerly a musem, and the tiled entrance is stunning. Service, as per all Fairmonts, is slick. Rooms are nice, and the rooftop gym is well equipped and has a nice view across Copley Square.

If you are a President's Club member, you get the hire of a decent BMW MTB for free. Take the bike and head out from Copley Plaza to Harvard.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a lovely, well run, hotel. However, as I sipped a $13 cocktail, I asked if there were any peanuts. I was sweetly told that since the renovation they don't serve peanuts. The cocktail was serve without a napkin. Really??? At these price points? Take a page from other first class hotel bars and embellish your cocktails. The Oak Room is a national
treasure.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank mecmp
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at the Copley Plaza for three nights during a business trip. The hotel is in a great location, right across the street from Copley square. The lobby and public areas are stunning (think beautiful chandeliers, heavy fabrics, lots of seating nooks, etc.). The doormen were extremely friendly and helpful.

My room was good sized and I had a nice view of the city. Bed was extremely comfortable. Business conveniences included outlets on the SIDE of the nightstands (very nice); but you have to know to look for them. Bathroom was small, but luxurious with marble flooring and a wonderful tub.

Flat panel TV, but the local news channels weren't in HD (so morning news was difficult to watch if you were sitting at the desk); ESPN channels are in high def, as well as HBO, etc. No HGTV for those of you who are fans.

I had breakfast each day, ~$35 for the American breakfast. one disappointment is that i'm a very small person, so my normal breakfast at home is ONE egg, ONE piece of Bacon and ONE piece of toast. I simply could not get them to deliver this order; they were insistent I had to order the huge American breakfast, so I felt very wasteful each day. I did not have time to go elsewhere. Take a note from Ritz; they will do this based upon your dietary needs vs. forcefeeding you or being wasteful.

Housekeeping was efficient; left extra coffee each day for the in room Keurig (nice!).

It take take a bit for the temperature to warm up (literally two days); but I like an extremely warm room.

The Oak Room was FANTASTIC>. I ordered the Yankee pot roast and honestly, it was the best pot roast I've ever had in my life. They also serve muffins with a Chipotle Aioli that was yummy. With a glass of pinot noir, my dinner was ~$50. Definitely would visit again.

This hotel is within walking distance of great restaurants, coffee shops, and shopping. It's right across the street from the John Hancock building, so extremely convenient for me for work as well. Definitely will be back.

Room Tip: One facing Copley Square if you can get it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing such a detailed review of your stay with us. I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit, overall, but I’d like to take this opportunity to address your in-room dining experience. You certainly should have been able to order a smaller breakfast, so I do apologize. I’ve shared your post with our In-Room Dining Manager, Stefan Carstens, who will ensure this is communicated to his team. Thank you, again, for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the Copley Plaza for 3 nights in May prior to leaving on a cruise. We had booked the hotel through the cruise line - the room we were assigned was not what we expected so asked for a better room - which, of course, cost more but was well worth it. Of particular note was the exceptional service provided by Vincent at the concierge desk. He was very helpful, accommodating and had a great sense of humor. We also loved the Oak Bar - very noisy on Saturday night but service and food were very good and the atmosphere & decor were wonderful. Location was perfect - many destinations were easily walkable. Would certainly choose the Copley Plaza when we next visit Boston.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arizona0740
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have stayed at the Fairmont at DC before but chose Boston as a treat for our 35th Anniversary. Booked a room on the Gold floor which gives complimentary access to the Gold Lounge. Room was pleasant and had a bottle of chilled Prosecco waiting for us. Very pleasant staff especially in the Gold Lounge. Nothing too much trouble, whether it be directions or restaurant bookings. My wife was looking for a particular 'crafting' product but could not find it. Denice from the Lounge found a source for us - 2 blocks from the Hotel. Only downside is noise from the a/c plant in the hotel but I think all inside facing rooms may have this problem. It was 94 degrees most of the time so maybe the a/c working overtime. All in all a really good stay.

Room Tip: Try the Gold floor - more expensive but there are some complimentary benefits.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your post. I’m so pleased to hear that you had a great experience with us – especially that one of our colleagues went so above and beyond! I’ve shared your comments with our Fairmont Gold Manager, to ensure that Denise receives appropriate recognition for your praise. Regarding the noisy AC, we want to make sure our guests are staying cool during Boston’s occasional summer heatwaves, but I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great service at Reception. Big bedroom, tiny bathroom. Great Continental breakfast upstairs. Wonderful bar & restaurant downstairs. Great location. Wonderful, helpful Concierge. Not cheap. Not modern. Not funky. Just a grand old lady of a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay up on our Fairmont Gold level, from the complimentary breakfast to the private concierge. Thank you, again, for your post. We hope to welcome you back soon!