“THE DOG WINS US OVER”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2012 by undergoing extensive renovations and in its 101st year it shows in the improvements. Our Signature suite on the 3rd floor has a good view over Copley Plaza. By paying in advance we have taken advantage of a special rate of only $399.00 a night plus taxes, but we enjoy the benefits of a luxury hotel. The bed is very comfortable, the room is substantial, although the bathroom is quite small by modern standards. Hard to move the walls in an old lady. Housekeeping is less than impressive: our room was still not made up in the middle of the afternoon, a complimentary robe was missing, cups were not replaced in the coffee maker, the supply of towels was parsimonious. Management were very apologetic when we were stuck in an airless elevator on a very humid afternoon, but I expected more than a glass of wine as compensation. All is forgiven however, because the hotel has a dog. Catie Copley, a former seeing eye guide dog, has been a fixture for nine years. The friendly black lab is the greatest stress reliever a hotel could have. A dozen other Fairmont properties have a house dogs and the Copley Plaza was the first in the US to take up the idea, which started in Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank gentlemansportion
Write a ReviewReviews (3,258)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Spectacular property. Refurbished recently for its 2012 centennial. Rooms are large, clean, spacious and with that magical well-appointed bed. Shower/bath combo is thoughtfully designed to be spa-like, which is a nice juxtaposition to experiencing the matched original closets and wood doors. Wifi, Nespresso machine, a lovely yet modern workspace, instant access to anything you need...definitely a premier destination. I will choose this property on my next trip to this part of Boston, if only to gaze at the ornate foyer ceiling and walls! Double gorgeous.

Room Tip: Gold floor for Fairmont members has lounge and breakfast. I stepped in around 10:45pm just to warm u...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I tried way back in September to get into our regular Boston hotel (Ritz Boston Commons), and was shocked that 8 months wasn't enough to secure a reservation. I booked a junior suite on the Gold level of the Fairmont and was very impressed.

We were in town for a graduation: so we were busy, tired and in need of some TLC. Brad, on the Gold level, was the epitome of a high-end concierge. He was professional, knowledgable, gave us the impression of having all the time in the world and he was fun to talk with!

The Gold level lounge was very spacious with an elegant library room, and two other large and lovely rooms to enjoy breakfast or a drink. The bar was the honor system (you fill out a small sheet with your name, room number and drink). Their selection of hard liquor, wine and beer was very broad.

Our room was actually on 5 (lounge is on 4). The suite was recently re-done and had a huge closet, subtle greys and creams in the decor and 2 queen beds.

Our lunch in the Oak Bar was a slight disappointment. My daughter's burger was ordered medium well and had to be returned and STILL came back red. Not pink, red. Burgers are a must-do correctly item. But this was not a meal ruiner and our server wisely took it off the bill.

Breakfast in the lounge included eggs, sausage, bagels with smoked salmon and 6 or 7 accompaniments. Plus croissants, juices, lots of fresh fruit and cereal. Coffee was good and the servers were very attentive. I give very high marks to the Gold Level lounge. We had drinks and apps there one night and the food offerings were more than standard: pulled pork mini sandwiches, many cheeses, crostini, crackers, breads, olives, crudites, dips.

I'm sorry that our time in Boston is coming to a close, I would have been a regular here. But when we return for a non-collegiate reason, I have to tell you the Fairmont Copley Plaza is neck and neck with the Ritz for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BCparent
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Hello, and thank you for your post. First, our congratulations to your recent grad – We’re glad we were able to help you celebrate! I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Fairmont Gold experience and I’m happy to share your praise with Brad and the team. I’ve also shared your comments with our culinary team at OAK, as your burger troubles are simply not acceptable. I do apologize! Otherwise, it sounds like your stay was a great one and we hope you’ll think of us the next time you visit Boston. Thank you, again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We loved everything about this Hotel and about the city of Boston! I booked directly with the hotel on their website and got a really good deal...Stayed in a junior suite on the "gold floor". The gold floor (level 4) has access to the Gold Lounge, this is where we had breakfast and also canapes at night (you pay for your drinks)...this was a real bonus. Lovely quiet area, lounges, fireplace and large screen TV. The room was very spacious with a separate sitting area. Great bathroom (2 rooms) with separate vanity and bath area from the shower and toilet. Staff were friendly and attentive and were happy to arrange anything we needed. Great location, in the heart of the city within walking distance to most things. Plus the Trolley Tour had a stop across the road from the Hotel (this is a must do). We had dinner in The Oak Room, main restaurant of the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it, again very good service. If/when we return to this fabulous city I would stay nowhere else other than The Fairmont. BUT I suggest you book through their website and check the "special deals"!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and book the "Gold Floor"!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RondaAnn
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed for the first time at this hotel and I LOVED everything about it! I love the elegance, the location, and the staff was great. If I could live there I would, we would definitely stay again. The bar was also great! The staff was right there to assist you, especially with the valet. Our room was great and very clean.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, nice bar/restaurant, and perfect location. The fitness facilities are not bad for a hotel either but it's only a few blocks to the river and you can run for miles along the path. I stayed for a conference. The facilities were adequate. It was nice to be able to walk along Newbury street during lunch and shop.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have to start out with: when you read a reveiw especially negative like the two that were entered on the 12 and 14th of may my someone who has issues with pronouncing Copley and other general issues like my goodness I need to open the door when I enter the building.
Or perhaps the poor poor girl who as she puts it " I almost broke my tooth on the bacon"

You have to realize that some people are as I would put it probably complain about everything.

No I don't work for the Hotel and yes I travel about 125 days a year North America.

I was here the same week these two wonderful people wrote their reviews and disagree with them wholeheartedly.

I was here for 5 days and had appointments all week coming in and out of the hotel a lot and if their was someone at the door
It was always yes always opened for me and anyone else I was with so maybe that person with the door issues was walking in a side door? With no service? Or maybe even a service door ha ha.

I have eaten here a lot as well and fund the breakfast and other food to be very good so the bacon lady needs to eat Ham.

Anyway enough of my complaining

The hotels service from front door people to the bartenders were excellent and kept track of you.when you came in the next day they would say something that you knew they paid attention to what you may have had to drink the day before or even a conversation. I was very impressed with the staff.

The standard rooms are going to be smaller and remember if you want to stay downtown it cost more.
I paid and extra 100 bucks and had a jr suite on the gold floor which was excellent.
Our housekeeper was perfect she always stayed true with the finest detail. My brother who was in another room commented on the great housekeeping as well.

Club or golds room was stellar from Allison to the guy who was always asking about the day before remembering details In our day. Yes it's 300-400 a night so if you aren't used to the higher end hotel cost you need to plan for those extra expenses like tipping from the front door to concierge service and yes even the maid.

My rating of the bed was very good
Pillows were down and very soft in which I enjoyed
Rooms have been remodeled so everything is updated

shampoos and soaps were LE Labo Rose 31 from New York which were excellent and 3 oz bottles replaced daily if you want

The only negative would be the lotion.my wife said I smelled like flowers when I used it so guys don't use the lotion

Why stay here? Across the street from excellent restaurants,Hotel is very Good,the Boston marathon Memorial across the street as well. I also like historic buildings this one is 1912 and the lobby is drop dead gorgeous

Why Not? If you are looking at saving money the Westin is a little cheaper 30-70 but has no Amenities like the club lounge
And lacks the style that the Fairmont has.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steven N

Hello Steven, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others here on TripAdvisor. I’m so thrilled to hear that you and your wife enjoyed our hotel. If the only negative from your visit was smelling like flowers, well, we must be doing something right! Again, we appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back again soon.