“The Best of Boston”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #18 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you're staying at the Copley Plaza, be sure to stay on the concierge floor. There you will find your own living rooms, a fireplace with sofas, tables to sit around and enjoy your complimentary hor d'ouevres or breakfast, a library room, a breakfast room. The complimentary foods are outstanding. Hot and cold appetizers, nice cheeses, and an honor bar. So you can, if you like, just get yourself a drink and go sit by the fire. I've gone there twice on "girls weekend out" and we have loved it. You're in walking distance of the beautiful splendor of the Trinity Church, and trendy Copley Square and Newbury Street. I just love it there. It's such an historic piece of Boston. The bar and restaurant on the first floor are also wonderful. If you want to spend some time in Boston, this is the place. Also a nice option if you live in the suburbs of Boston, as I do, you can go in for a weekend at Christmas and enjoy some of the wonderful Boston Christmas events, do a little shopping and unwind in style.

Room Tip: Choose the concierge floor and try to get it facing the Trinity Church and Copley Square.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Hello, and thank you for sharing your comments with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m so pleased that you’ve enjoyed both of your stays with us on Fairmont Gold, and were able to take advantage of our central location during your girls’ weekends! We’re thrilled to hear that you choose us as your home-away-from-home, even when you live so close to Boston. Thanks, again, for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,341)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great Back Bay location and friendly & efficient front desk staff. I was very disappointed in my room --- exceptionally small & cramped. Only place for luggage rack was in closet - so not sure how handle if 2 suitcases as they would not both fit in closet. Only chair was desk chair (small desk). Bathroom was very small with no place for toiletry bag due to pedestal sink with small ledge that was full of the lotion/soap/shampoo tray & glasses - expect better for the price of the room. I did appreciate the Keurig coffee maker in the room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SF94597
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our timing wasn't great just after the tragic events at the marathon but the hotel appeared to be coping admirably considering. Staff were efficient as usual and I was pleasantly surprised to see a whole new vibe in the renovated bar area compared to previous annual visits. Will be happy to come again next year.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2013

my partner and I both enjoyed this hotel very much. we usually go for more contemporary boutique type hotels but after seeing the pictures of the Fairmont Copley we thought we would give it a try. we were not disappointed. it was a cold rainy weekend in Boston and we were limoited to what we could do outside. the hotel bar and restaurant provided a great spot for dinner drinks and people watching. the wait staff was very friendly and our room was a very good size

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We booked 5 nights over Easter but sadly lost the first night due to a flight cancelation (thank you American Airlines!) however we telephoned to let them know we would be arriving a day late and to keep our room. In fact we upgraded to a Fairmont room overlooking Copley Plaza. I say overlooking, what we could actually see was the flat roof of the entrance foyer, but it was fine we wanted the upgrade for the size of room, not the view, and the size was good even though it seemed huge as it was so badly laid out. The fireplace a feature surely was hidden behind a useless coffee table.

Having said that they do sell these rooms on the promise of the premium view, which was non-existent with this room. They make a lot of the newly refurbished rooms etc, to be brutally honest, some of the work looked like a novice had been at the woodwork and skirting, very poor workmanship and I am suprised it was accepted by the hotel. Some of the repairs were shockingly bad and our bath, although original so small and low set, had enamel which was peeling and as far as having a bath in it, no way! it looked like a bit of a health issue as it couldnt be possible to clean properly with peeling enamel like that. The room was large, but, the colour scheme and furniture placing left it feeling cold, empty and lacking in appeal. Which is ironic as the air conditioning didnt work, despite sounding like it was going flat out (we had earplugs!) it did nothing! thank goodness this is one of the old hotels where we could open a window and get cool. You can see its new furniture and carpets, but the workmanship is poor the colour too austere and cold the room design poorly thought out and didnt make the most of what could have been a really lovely room. There was plenty of room for a sofa, but instead we got one waiting room style upright chair and a desk chair ??? nothing says 'relax' more than a roller desk chair which is what one of us had to sit in if we didnt want to lounge on the bed all the time!

Housekeeping was very poor for the first 2 days, carpet not hoovered (talc footprints!) bins not emptied, then obviously someone else took over because it vastly improved thereafter. So that is just one of those things I guess.

Having said all this to be fair, once we finally arrived we didnt make any complaints to the Hotel staff, as we just wanted to get on with our trip and these are just taste and small issues, had I intended to soak in the tub I would definitely have insisted on changing but we were just grateful to have arrived. All the comments above give anyone considering the hotel an idea of what to expect. Nice but not without a few issues and its expensive so just be aware that although refurbished, with regards to the rooms in my opinion 'faded elegance' is an appropriate description.

The staff were great however, very nice, accomodating and my request for a kettle dealt with immediately it was almost at the door before I put the phone down - excellent!

On the first morning, we had breakfast in the Oak Bar, what a disapointment, I sent my breakfast sandwich back as it was so dry and the eggs overcooked, inedible. My side dish of corned beef has was very good, thanks goodness or I would have been hungry that day! My husband had the eggs (over cooked again) benedict with lobster, which was also terribly overcooked and rubbery- a sin in this City surely! I dont know who was on breakfast service that day but they were not on the ball at all.

I have always wanted to stay at this hotel and was thrilled when we booked it. I was disapointed that it turned out so average and I know that reality bites sometimes, but these were things that could be avoided, check the quality of work done before you sign off on it, repair a bath when you have spent all the money on redecorating the room, put a little more furniture into the bigger rooms rather than leaving customers with only the bed as the relaxing place to sit, especially when its about a mile from the telly!!

Silly little things but they added up to let this place down a bit. When we checked out we had to ask for the bill to be re-done twice because they kept getting the information on it wrong, that was very irritating.

Overall a good stay but not without minor problems that with a bit more care could be avoided. The people were very nice, but not so nice I would spend the money this place costs to stay again. sorry.

Room Tip: We had a room, on the first floor directly onto Copley Plaza, we slept with the window open a few ni...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jameser
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Fairmont managed to give us impeccable service even in the most difficult circumstances. Even though the city had been shut down because of the marathon explosions, the staff pulled together and made us feel very comfortable and well taken care of. We could see an employee here and there that did not completely fit the part because of a dress attire that they probably did not have,most probably because they were administrative employees. Nonetheless they managed to satisfy us with there limited food and human resources with gliding grace. The rooms are comfortable and clean and pleasant. The gold service is excellent and very securing,especially when most places were closed during the shutdown. I think it is a good idea to book this option because it may become an excellent plan B.

Room Tip: Seems lower floors are cheaper but just as nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Rene, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. You happened to visit on a very difficult day – we were indeed short-staffed due to the shutdown of the city, and I’m pleased to hear that you still found service to be impeccable. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others here on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband finished the marathon on Monday but injured his knee, the bombs exploded while we were in the medical tent. The hotel we were staying was 20 miles away. The copley hotel welcomed us into thier lobby, comforted us, updated us, fed us and finally rented a room to us as we could not get my husband out of the area due to his knee. The hotel staff were overwhelmingly professional and cared for us like their regular guests. I am so grateful for the kindness and generosity. The hotel is truly grand but thier staff are the true gems.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank lisa d

Hello, and thank you for your post. Although you came to us during extreme circumstances, I’m happy to hear that my hotel colleagues were able to make you and your husband feel safe and welcomed. I assure you, the pleasure was ours. We hope to welcome you back – thank you, again, for your kind words.