“Wonderful Staff”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #18 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was recently here with my family to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. We were surprising her with out of town guests and all staying at this incredible hotel. The staff went out of their way to make this a special weekend for us! They helped us surprise her, played along with our little pranks for her, and even upgraded our room for free. I cannot express my gratitude enough to these wonderful people!

The room itself was beautiful. And quite large for an upscale hotel in the middle of Boston. Even the bathroom was lovely.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone! Make sure you say hi to "Catie Copley" the canine concierge. She is a calm and sweet black lab that resides in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that gives you access to the Gold Lounge on the 4th floor. It is a wonderful perk...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Hello Katie, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear that my colleagues helped you pull off a fun birthday surprise for your mom. It sounds like you all had a great weekend! Thanks so much for your comments, and we hope to welcome you all back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,337)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

A group of six of us stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel in Boston. The hotel has recently completed a $20 million dollar upgrade and looks gorgeous. The lobby was ornately decorated, and posh in a European charm sort of way. The on-site hotel dog Catie Copley is available for daily walks, and to keep guests company. She is an ex-guide dog and is such a sweetie. Many of the hotels guests took pictures and pet her (as did I!) throughout our stay. The hotel was lovely however one of the door men was more concerned with counting his tips and speaking to a friend then to open the door for some of the guests in our party. Between the six of us we had three different rooms. Two rooms were located on the second floor and one couple was upgraded to a suite on the sixth floor (they are President's Club members I should point out!). Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable. My only complaint was the original door on the bathroom would not stay closed which made late night trips to the loo an adventure! The other couple staying on the second floor had a room that was decorated better in my opinion. They had a large fabric covered headboard with large mirrored panels on each side of the bed with built in lights. The sixth floor suite was beautiful and complete with a large foyer, and sitting room which we all took advantage of. The views from this floor are great!

The in house bar and lounge called Oak is great but expensive. We went down for a drink before going out for dinner one night and it was standing room only. We found our way to the bar and had some yummy drinks. Oak also serves food which you can watch being prepared in front of you. It is kind of a bar in front with the kitchen operating behind a large counter. It is beautifully decorated and there are two wood burning ovens where they cook pizzas and other yummy looking dishes.

As far as location goes, this hotel provided a great starting spot. You can walk to the historic Boston City Gardens, the Boston Library (one of many branches), Newbury Street where lots of shopping and restaurants can be found. We took a trolley tour and were picked up right outside of our hotel which was also really nice!

The sixth floor features a gym with floor to ceiling windows and a neat view over Boston. The area was really clean and well stocked with cardio and weight machines.

To sum it up, beautiful lobby, lovely rooms, and a great location make the Fairmont Copley Plaza a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for firm pillows when you arrive as all of us said the pillows were much too soft for supported...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Fairmont Copley Plaza is a gorgeous hotel. The rooms have been redone and are in impeccable shape, beds are comfortable, and the service and staff are outstanding. Breakfast at the Oak Long Bar + Kitchen was absolutely delicious, and they have a fine selection of champagnes, wines, beers, and liqueurs, and an interesting list of their own specialty drinks. My friend had a bourbon and grapefruit cocktail that was yummy.

The ONLY reason I did not give this hotel a 5, is because of an event that happened at the OAK Long Bar + Kitchen. On a busy Saturday night, my friend and I (both guests at the hotel) walked into the Oak Long Bar hoping to enjoy a drink and hors d'oeuvres before dinner. There were no seats available at the time (the place was packed) so we decided to grab a drink at the bar and wait for a seat to open up. When some finally did, the bar tender rudely told me and my friend that the bar seats we were about to sit in were for a woman, who apparently had been waiting for space at the bar, and who was at the other end of the restaurant. We were surprised and upset since we had specifically been told those seats were first come, first serve, and could not be reserved. Plus, there were a lot of people waiting for a space to open up and for her to take up 4 of these newly free bar stools was ridiculous. I would have loved to have reserved those 4 bar stools as well, as I had more friends meeting us. We ended up going elsewhere. The kicker? This woman was a guest of a wedding reception going on in the hotel that night and they had their own cocktail hour going on at the same time.

On a side note, I would recommend that if there's a wedding going on in the hotel that either you, as a traveler & guest, plan on arriving at the Oak Long Bar + Kitchen before the wedding guests arrive for the reception, or Management should be sure that wedding guests stay at their own cocktail reception and not crash the entire bar (unless the bar is ready for them), forcing hotel guests to make other plans.

Overall, it was a lovely visit and, Saturday incident aside, I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Suzanne W, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Fairmont Copley Plaza in this forum. While I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry that you were unable to get a seat at OAK Long Bar + Kitchen. The bar is quite popular and always busy on Saturday nights so it definitely makes sense to arrive early for those coveted bar stools. Thank you, again, for your feedback. We will look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at for a while. Service is outstanding. My one complaint is the restaurant, not a big fan. I was ill during the vsit and the housekeeper offered to order a bowl of soup for me! The entire staff is outstanding

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Fairmont Copley Plaza is a luxury hotel which welcomes families with small children, a rarity among upscale hotels. The resident black labrador welcomes kids and makes a stay fun. The location is good, across the street from Copley Mall and the library. The only down side is the overly expensive breakfast, however there's two starbucks within a block so that shouldn't deter you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If I could rank this hotel a 10 I would. Everything about our stay was perfect and that's no exaggeration. From the doorman to the front desk personnel to the gift shop attendant, and the personal attention from the concierge, this Fairmont knows what they are doing and does it well. They make you feel like you are royalty, and for the night we stayed we were.

Upon arrival, we were upgraded to the Catie Copley Suite and were we ever impressed! The room(s) were gorgeous (just recently renovated) and the designers did not miss a thing (from high end toiltetries to THE most comfortable bed and bedding, to personal photos of the star Catie Copley herself). Catie is probably one of the sweetest dogs we have ever met and my kids spoke of her for a week after wondering if we could go back just to walk her. Their own dog was probably getting a complex. We did book a package to include our own pup and the hotel treated him like family as well.

We ordered room service for both dinner and breakfast and as you would suspect the price was a bit high, but worth it to eat in front of the huge window overlooking the park with the city of Boston in view.

If we take another staycation to Boston, we will not stay anywhere else. LOVED THE FAIRMONT COPLEY PLAZA!! Bravo Fairmont! This hotel is probably one of the best we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank clamchowda

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. We were delighted that your family (including your four-legged family member) enjoyed your stay with us. We will be sure to share your kind words with our colleagues. Thank you, again. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I spent a few days in this hotel on a business trip. This is my fourth visit to this hotel. Hotel decoration is excellent, classical elegant look with beautiful chandeliers, marble flooring etc.
Overall, very rich and classy look. Room was clean, big and with a nice view. Wireless network is fast and reliable.

The service and staff in this hotel is impeccable. It is one of the main reason why I keep coming back. I always feel welcomed.

There is a restaurant called "Atlantic Fish" on Boylston St. which is walking distance from the hotel. Highly recommended if you like seafood, reservation recommended.

Room Tip: If you can afford, get "de luxe" room. It was only $50 more when I booked, but it is bigge...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business