“Wonderful well priced hotel and close to everything.”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great visit on new years eve. Perfect location for first night or a wedding! Large, spacious rooms with good size bathrooms. We found all their employees to be genuinely kind and helpful. Easy access to Logan airport from this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a great weekend stay at the Fairmont Copley on Jan. 12, 2013. We had great service while checking in and we were given a wonderful, large deluxe room on the 2nd floor. The updated decor of the Fairmont is elegant and the room's large marble bathroom was to be admired. Although the Fairmont may have lost some of its past glamour and charm, it is great to see the updates. The service of its staff was warm and very welcoming.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

For several years I have stayed at the FCP between Christmas and New Year's. Although I missed last year (2011) I was psyched to return this year (Dec. 2012) because of the hotel's top-to-bottom refurbishment.

The refurbishment, in my view, has taken away the stuffy old-Boston charm of the rooms (the rich blues, the striped fabrics) and replaced it with generic hotel-beige. I think the designer might have been striving for "spa-like, soothing neutrals," and perhaps this has been achieved--at the expense of the Copley's soul.

But the real knife-in-the heart renos are in the public spaces. Gone are the Oak Bar and the Oak Room. In their places is one cavernous room, stripped of the dark, clubby, romance of the old oak rooms. In this garishly lit cafeteria-sized behemoth are small tables with canvas director's chairs. Think seaside resort. Think California casual. Think Automat. Think anything you want--except "real Boston." The only remaining scrap of former glory is the "Library," which has been re-fitted with more chairs and is no longer the oasis within an oasis it had been.

I stay on the Gold Floor, which has also changed. The complimentary breakfast and appetizers are great as always, as is in the honor bar. And the sitting room is comfy as ever (though also fallen victim to the dreaded beige). But the special touches are gone. At the honor bar there is no longer a snack mix to enjoy with your drink. I was actually looking forward to sitting down with my martini and a small bowl of this addictive treat. No such luck. A small corner to cut--but one that folks like me really miss. Also gone are the terry slippers, which came in very handy during previous stays. It's the Gold Floor, for goodness sake! Keep the slippers! Finally, in the room there are no longer assorted magazines (just a glossy for the Fairmont chain) or tiny Italian hard candies. What all of this tells me is that the guest is not at the center of the FCP/Gold Floor experience any more--a few pennies extra profit is.

Having said all of this, I will be back. The staff is wonderful, and the Copley holds too many wonderful memories for me to just abandon it. But visitors to the city of Boston looking to wallow in the Boston-ness of it all have lost a treasured place to do that.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank amherst_reader
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Hello, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m very sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your recent stay. I shared your post with our Fairmont Gold Manager, Constance Carman, who would like me to assure you that the guest is (and always will be) at the center of the Fairmont Gold experience. While our renovation has indeed brought about many aesthetic changes, exceeding your expectations in every way remains our top priority. To that end, kindly drop us an email before your next visit (COP.goldDL@fairmont.com) and we will do our best to honor your preferences! Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I spent 1 night in this hotel, having a short stop-over in Boston. Generally, I like it very much, especially hotel's retro-style. It looks even more formal than expected, with all brightness, reach and beauty interior, impressed building overall. Room was equipped with all necessary things, including iron board and counter, which are 'must have' in business trip.
I was fully satisfied with accommodation at Fairmont.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was our third stay since September 2012 and are amazed by how the staff really make you feel at home. Renovations are amazing we always get a nice room lots of space and luxury amenities. Great Great location close to shops and lots of restaurants. See you in March

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a seriously amazing hotel.
I attended a conference there for a weekend, and brought my husband and 2 year old daughter along. We paid a little bit extra for a 'Signature' room because I wanted her to be able to have some extra space to run around in the room.

The service, the sumptuous beauty of every detail and corner, the comfort of the beds, the kind of lotion in the rooms - everything was just remarkable.

On previous trips, we've stayed at the Westin, the W, the Intercontinental - all great hotels. This one is absolutely the one we will stay in from now on.

Lastly, you couldn't pick a better location. It's close to literally everything.
There are great restaurants nearby. Also a grocery store, CVS, etc - nice to have those practicalities nearby, esp if you're me and suddenly need contant lens solution at 11pm !

Some people have commented on the small size of the standard rooms. We did peak into one and agreed that for our needs, we would have felt it was a little small. The Signature room wasn't that much more - so ask about that type of room....and enjoy!

Room Tip: Signature rooms that face the courtyard a little bit bigger than the Signature rooms that face Cople...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Hello, and thank you for sharing your comments with us here on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a lovely weekend with your husband and daughter – It’s nice to hear that you were able to enjoy family time while also attending your conference. I’m also happy to hear that our central location was so convenient for you, especially when a quick CVS run was necessary! Thank you again for your post, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Boston.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

It had been a few years since we'd stayed here and were amazed at the beautiful renovations done for the 100th anniversary in 2012. The Copley Plaza is in a great location, with wonderful walks and shopping all around. The room was large and very tasteful. As always, great Fairmont bed! Service was superb in all respects. I would agree with another reviewer that the bar is so popular that it's not particularly relaxing. The concierge can suggest dozens of great restaurants within walking distance. Wonderful new fitness center.
The Copley will continue to be our go-to hotel in Boston!

Room Tip: Sixth floor facing Copley Plaza provides excellent rooms with great view.