“Much Needed Renovation”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Stayed at the Fairmont Copley for a conference in 2008 and was disappointed in the shabby condition of the rooms. This and the odd bites on my feet and ankles had me convinced that I would never return. Glad to say, the latest renovation has breathed new life into the historic hotel. The drab, dirty and dreary carpet and furnishings now sparkle with a nouveau Cape Cod style with soft tones of silver and gray. A vast improvement.

It is important to note that the Oak Bar is still under renovation and the temporary bar in the St. James restaurant is fairly inadequate. The Gold floor lounge is nice, but isn't always well-stocked for breakfast or evening hors d'ouevres. The service there was outstanding, however, thanks to Aja, one of the supervisors at the desk. She helped make this stay a memorable one. In terms of Catie Copley, the canine ambassador, it may be time for her to retire. At 10 years old, she looks a bit too weary and deserves time off.

All in all, a repeat visit is warranted. Copley Plaza is a great location with easy access to all the major sights. The hop-on, hop-off trolley with the harbor cruise is a great way to see Boston whether it's your first time there or not. And nearby is Legal Seafood, a place where the fresh seafood and sangria are simply sublime.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuxFirstTravel
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I went to check in, the hotel has lost my reservation(along with 6 others from our firm before I arrived), but the manager behind the desk quickly helped find me a reservation. The hotel is is very nice, going through a renovation, and will likely be a great place to stay once completed. Rooms are a little loud and but the service was very good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jdeutsch
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Hello, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m happy to hear that your reservation issue was promptly resolved by our Front Desk team. You are correct that we are putting the finishing touches on an exciting renovation project, due to be completed this summer. The renovation work was thoughtfully phased as to minimize the impact on our guests, though I do apologize for it being disruptive to your stay. I hope you will consider visiting us again! Thank you.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We originally booked with the Hilton in the Financial District, but we're dismayed to find them overbooked. After paying for the cab ride & paying for our first night at the Fairmont, we loved it so much, we stuck around for another night, even though the Hilton was a bargain.

Cleanliness was top notch. My wife usually refuses to take baths in hotels, but said it was one of the cleanest she's ever seen & broke her own rule!

Location is amazing, there's food, shopping, and history all within a 5 minute walk (or less), and there's a T stop on the next corner.

So glad we got bumped into to the Fairmont, it was originally out of our price range, but we were amazed with the beauty & detail of such a historic buildings!

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Likeapuma
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We just returned from one of the best hotel stays we have every had. We recently stayed as a family at the Fairmont Copley Plaza and savoured the experience. Quiet elegance, service well done, every need accommodated these are some of the take aways from our trip to the Copley. I was so pleased to learn that they were celebrating their 100th year! The sense of history just greets you as you walk in the door. From the doorman to the wait staff everyone is glad you are there and ready to enhance the experience. No one intrudes, yet everyone adds to the comfort of the stay. If you want to indulge in the grandeur of another time with the conveniences of today think about the Copley as your first choice for a Boston visit. Catie the Canine Ambassador will be there too!

Room Tip: The rooms with two queens are extremely large and spacious!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kabulkathy
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending 3 days at the beautiful Fairmont Copely Hotel. Being my first visit to Boston, my expectations of the hotel were very high as I spent a lot of time researching where to stay. The hotel not only lived up to, but surpassed my expectations.

I had booked a room on the Fairmont Gold Floor which I would recommend to everyone. It is a little more expensive, but worth every penny. As I arrived four hours before check in, I was expecting to have to wait for my room. However, upon arrival to the private Gold Floor reception, I was warmly greeted by Brad, Gold Floor Manager, who promptly told me that not only was my room ready, but had been upgraded to a larger room overlooking Copely Square. I was then given a tour of the floor and all of its amenities and then shown my room.

My room was very spacious and inviting. The bathroom was large, clean and very well appointed. I especially loved the paint color of the bedroom room and the gorgeous marble tiles and coloring of the bathroom. Everything was new and clean with the hotel just completing its major renovation only two weeks prior.

As far as the gold floor amenities, the Fairmont really has thought of everything. The breakfast every morning in the lounge was excellent with different items each day. The afternoon appetizers each afternoon were also amazing and showed off the local flavor and speciaties of the Boston area. The kitchen is open all day for beverages (both alcoholic and nonalcoholic) and snacks. There is an honor bar for wine or spirits. In the lounge, there are plent of books, news papers, magazines, CDs, DVDs, etc. to use or borrow for our room during your stay.

Brad and the Gold Floor staff are fantastic. After spending about 45 minutes with me going over a very wide variety of sightseeing options in the Boston Area, Brad arranged dinner reservations each evening at some great resturants and made suggestions for lunch spots throughout the city during my travels. Each day, Brad and the staff would check with me to see how my experience was at their recommended spots. They were all fantastic!

Another positive about the Fairmont Copely is the location. It is very central, close to wonderful resturants and shopping on Newbury Street. There are also two malls nearby. A couple of blocks over is Boston Public Gardens, where the famous Freedom Trail begins.

Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Katie Copely, the beautil back lab that warmly greets all guests to the Fairmont Copely. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking Copely Square on the gold floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank KymCalgary
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I had the Queen deluxe room for a conference I was attending here. The room is fairly small but it was nicely finished. You could tell they recently renovated it. It looks like everything but the doors and door trim was changed. The bed is super comfortable. The bathroom is luxurious, with walls lined with marble and some nice Kohler fixtures, including a shower that feels like you are in a rainshower! I needed to do some computer work and a desk with power outlet was available. Kind of disappointed they charge $14/day for internet. Luckily, I was able to tether to my cell phone and got decent reception.

I was also made aware that they redid their fitness center. It has a bunch of treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals, dumbbells, and a set of different strength machines. I liked it a lot! With all the food that's available in Boston, it is nice to unwind with a good workout to finish the day.

Location: GREAT. Copley square is a great location. The magnificent Boston Public Library is right across the street and is a must see. There are a lot of shops and eateries near by and you can walk to nearby Boston public park and commons, Chinatown, etc. I bought a Mass transit 7 day pass for $15 which allows me to hop on any bus or subway. Definitely made food possibilities more doable.

Staff: very friendly. I am generally low maintenance during my stay but my interactions were all met with smiles and friendly attitudes.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Carleton W

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with us in this forum. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your newly renovated guestroom, as well as our central Back Bay location. Our internet charge is priced competitively with other Boston hotels, but I would like to let you know that members of Fairmont President’s Club receive complimentary WIFI – and it is completely free to join! I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay, and thank you again for your positive feedback.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I happen to like older-style hotels--not just the cookie cutter chain hotels so common today. The Fairmont Copley Plaza is certainly one of these grand old hotels, reflecting an opulence of a previous era. The lobby is beautiful and the staff very cordial. While certain aspects of the hotel could use some renovating, overall it was a lovely hotel. The marble bathroom was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. Although the hotel is located on busy Copley Plaza, the room was quiet and peaceful. Definitely would go there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mek99
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Hello, and thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza – especially that you admired our historic property and helpful staff. At the present, we are putting the finishing touches on a $20 million plus renovation that includes a complete guestroom remodel, refreshing of the Lobby and meeting spaces, and addition of a contemporary, rooftop health club. I hope you will visit us again in the near future to take advantage of these and other exciting updates! Thank you again for your feedback.