“Terrible!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrible!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I'm not sure whether the low point of the trip was when there was dried blood on my bed sheets, when the sheets weren't changed, or when I was handed the replacement sheets to put on myself. Incredibly disappointing stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Tomm086
SWTravelerBoston, Regional Director of PR at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for your post. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please know that, as you can see from other posts in this forum, this is not the typical service experience received at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. I do hope that you will consider the hotel in the future. Thank you, again, for sharing your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2011

When you look at the interior photos of this hotel, you know it is something special. Grand public areas, beautiful ballrooms, spiral staircases, elaborate bar and dining areas all convey the luxurious spirit of this historic hotel. The check-in process was easy with a helpful staff. The concierge is right by and happy to help as his dog rests at his feet in the lobby (a la the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec, another Fairmont property) and gets a friendly scratch from the hotel guests.

This romantic experience kind of stopped for us at the first floor.

Now it is an older hotel, designed by the same architect of the famed Plaza Hotel in New York (also a Fairmont property,) but our room was no where on the same level as the Plaza. First off it was small. I can live with small, but our friends were down the hall, with the exact same rate, booked at the same time, and their room was at least twice the size as ours! Secondly our room had a queen sized bed and theirs had a king. Not a big deal, but it would certainly require one to specify what type of room they were seeking if it mattered to them.

The bathroom was also small, with a tub-shower combo, but the shower curtain only covered 2/3rds of the shower area. There is a big hole. If you are seeking privacy while you bathe...you'll have to ask for it from your partner since the curtain does not hide the space you are in. This all being said, we'd certainly stay here again, we'd just be more specific about the room.

We ate in the hotel and the food was fine. The bar area was beautiful with a good crowd each night and the hostess and staff were all friendly and prompt.

You have read the fitness room is not up to par for a hotel at the level of a Fairmont and the spa is nonexistant. My wife went to the GretaCole Spa in the hotel right next door and very much enjoyed her massage.

Centrally located to much to see in Boston in a walkable area, and cabs were easy to come by for the longer trips.

Checkout was simple and the staff and doormen were courteous.

Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: There seems to be lots of room sizes at the same "rate class" so be sure to ask for what y...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
SWTravelerBoston, Regional PR Director at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will look forward to welcoming you back. I read your comments about the fitness center and guestrooms, and I'm sorry that they didn't meet your expections. We will, however, be undergoing a renovation of all our guestrooms which will be completed in spring 2012 in time for our Centennial Celebration. In addition to our guestrooms we will be adding a new fitness center to our roof, which will debut in fall of 2011. There will be some exciting enhancements to the hotel, and we look forward to having you experience them during a future stay. Again, thank you for sharing in this forum.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2011

All together the Fairmont Copley Plaza is a good hotel. It benefits from being in a beautiful historic building in a fantastic location.
The staff, when around, are friendly and helpful, just don't hang around waiting for them to open the front door.
The hotel is not cheap, but does offer rooms to those looking to pay a bit above average without breaking the budget. One note of caution would be that not every room within a room description (e.g. Deluxe) meets the advertised standards.
Parking is not cheap, but is practically placed for visiting the city and you won't need to get the car out to get around once you're there.
The room was decently sized with a nice bathroom and comfortable bed. The only drawback was the extremely loud air conditioning, which sounded like someone was driving a motorbike around inside in the room in the middle of the night

Room Tip: View of Copley Square, but be aware that this will be busy 24 hours a day.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We spent a full weekend in the hotel. It has pluses and minuses, but overall
our impression was more on the negative side.

On the positive side:

- the location was very good
- the bedding was nice
- the bathroom was also reasonably nice

On the negative side:

- the doors have no insulation whatsoever. We could see the hallway lights
under the door directly from the bed, and could hear everything

- the tv did not work well, and repeated inquiries were useless

- $7 for a bottle of water ? $15/day for internet access ? Most hotels include these
amenities for free.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Lobby is lovely and grand - but this is not what continues in your rooms. The staff were helpful. Had dinner in the restaurant which was only average quality for extremely high price. The wi-fi was a complete rip off - 23 dollars for 3 days.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
SWTravelerBoston, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. WiFi access is complimentary to Fairmont Presidents Club members, which is free to join. In addition, the hotel will be undergoing a renovation of its guestrooms, which is an exciting project as we prepare for our centennial celebration in 2012. I do hope you will visit the hotel in the future. Thank you, again, for sharing in this forum.
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed here over the 4th of July holiday. Great service,clean rooms as well as the rest of the hotel. We were able to see the fireworks from the front of the hotel. Great view. Room was cleaned daily. The gold floor is a good idea. Breakfast and afternoon appitizers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Fairmont Copley Plaza while I was in Boston on a business trip. It was my first time visiting Boston. I am a Fairmont president's club member and have have the pleasure of staying at many Fairmont properties in Canada and the United States. I am pleased to say that this was by far the best hotel stay I have ever had. The hotel setting was amazing and the service of all the staff at the hotel was phenomenal. From the bellmen, the front desk attendants, housekeeping and food and beverage staff, I was always made to feel like a valued guest of the hotel.

One night when I was dining in the Oak Bar, I asked the food and beverage manager where I could find a particular brand of cucumber vodka. Adam took the time to research the information for me and called a few liquor stores until he found a place where I could find it. Unfortunately when I took a taxi to the liquor store they were sold out. To my pleasant surprise, when I returned from my business meetings the next day, there was a bottle of vodka in my room for me. Adam had taken the time to find out another store that sold it and went out purchased a bottle for me.

This was one of the many shining examples of the amazing customer services of this hotel. As a result I know that I will go back and stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent, but if you can get a room with a view over Copley square it is an added...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business