“Central hotel in one of the most beautiful cities on earth”

Hyatt Regency Boston
Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 22, 2013

A good hotel centrally located in Boston - with centrally I mean it's a five minutes walk away from the subway and also the big public garden. The breakfast selection was really good and tasty, the bar is very nice, the staff is absolutely friendly and the rooms were modern, clean, huge and comfortable. We didn't have the best view but that's not always important.

So the hotel was perfect for our city trip - good restaurants are nearby as well, I can only recommend to visit "Back Deck", they server delicious burgers and finger food.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
RoyalSonestaBoston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hi mattsiefert, We are absolutely thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful stay and breakfast here at Hyatt Regency Boston. We pride ourselves on our great guest experience and location, and are fortunate to have so many great restaurants like Back Deck so close by! Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback; we hope to welcome you back to our hotel and great city soon! Best, Emily

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on business in October 2013. I was able to complete my check-in on line, and my room was ready for me when I arrived at 1pm, which was nice. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The restaurant and bar were both good and reasonably priced (for a hotel). Service was also good. The layout is a bit strange in that you enter as street level, but the check-in/reception area is on the 3rd floor. The hotel overall feels slightly dated, not that it's falling apart, but some areas could use some TLC.
The location is described in several reviews as excellent, but I don't agree. I guess it depends on what you're looking for in surrounding areas. Chinatown is very close, as is the financial district, but I would have preferred more shopping and restaurants within walking distance--I felt a bit "removed".
The staff was great--concierge, bellmen, reception, bar, all of them were really helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
RoyalSonestaBoston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hello, Sheri77, Thank you for going out of your way to write this review about Hyatt Regency Boston. We’re thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of our web check-in and found that your room was clean and comfortable. I will pass along your kind words regarding our associates. They are all exceptional team members that are dedicated to delivering authentic service and hospitality. We hope to welcome you back for a future stay in Boston. Best, Emily

Reviewed October 22, 2013

great location downtown area, walking distance to most places. layout of the hotel is a little odd, need to take an elevator up to the lobby and then another elevator to the rooms. lobby area was nicely decorated, the room i stayed in was a bit older looking than the lobby layout.

one of the older hyatts ive stayed at, but location is very good, would stay again

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
RoyalSonestaBoston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Hi Will! Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Boston. Our building was originally a hotel and a mall, so when Hyatt bought the building, we worked hard to keep the integrity and the history of the building intact. We are very proud of our recent renovations to the common areas and the lobby and are working to update our rooms as well. We'd look forward to having you back soon! Best, Emily

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed two nights at this well located Boston Hotel. Positive points are: cordial and easy check-in, clean room, attractive common areas and comfortable beds and pillows. The negatives: minimal toiletries, no shower caps, etc., no hair dryer in bathroom...found it in the closet, minimal number of towels...2 bath towels ( we were three people in the room), handle on the shower fell off, no free/complimentary wifi in guest rooms only the common area, no mattress pads on beds. If you want a shower cap, mouthwash, sewing kit, etc, you must call guest services. The lighting in the bathroom is not great. I do understand they are using energy efficient bulbs, I do support that, however a lighted make up mirror would be very nice as well as having the hair dryer in the bathroom.
As I said, the location is convenient to South Station, the financial district as well as theaters.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy B
RoyalSonestaBoston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Hi Cindy B, We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback on your stay at Hyatt Regency Boston. We take your feedback very seriously and apologize that you encountered some opportunities with your stay. As part of our Hyatt Has It guarantee, we strive to provide everything you need to have a comfortable stay. Please contact us at your earliest convenience and we can add these notes to your profile. qualitybosto@hyatt.com Best, Emily

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Boston for three nights while visiting Boston and the surrounding area. It met all my expectations, except for the noise.

VALUE: Like most major U.S. cities (except New York), there seems to be enough competition in downtown Boston to keep prices pretty reasonable at. That said, the Hyatt seemed like a particularly good option given the calibre of the property and its location.

LOCATION: The hotel is great place to stay while exploring Boston and the surrounding area. Downtown, South Station, and Boston Common are all within walking distance, and the area immediately around the hotel is pretty safe.

SLEEP QUALITY: Surprisingly, noise abatement is terrible in this building, and the hotel seems to be popular with large group of students. As such, I could hear music blaring and conversations taking place in the rooms on either side of me. Bring earplugs or be at the mercy of your neighbours.

ROOMS: The room itself was quite pleasant, and in line with what I would expect at a Hyatt affiliate.

CLEANLINESS: The room was clean at all times.

SERVICE: Staff were helpful, and even accommodated my request for an early check-in.

SPA: The pool and sauna were amazing. Normally I forego both unless I'm spending a lot of time at the hotel, but these ones are not to be missed.

If the hotel could improve their soundproofing (not an easy task at this point), I would have no reason not to recommend it. However, if you're risk averse and aren't a sound sleeper, you may not want to chance it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
RoyalSonestaBoston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Hello Aaron, Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our property, especially the pool and the fitness center. We work very hard to provide top notch service and are so glad that you were accommodated! We are working to improve the quality of noise within our guest rooms and hope that we'll see you again soon. Best, Emily

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'm giving this an "Excellent", regardless of the rooms. It is true, as others have mentioned, a little weird moving from the apparently recently upgraded public areas (lobby) in a modern decor to the rooms, which seem to be a little "retro" to early Hyatt furniture and decor, with a few recent upgrades that don't seem to match very well overall. Room was clean and functional, although as mentioned before, no safe. I never felt that security was an issue. Bed and linens were very nice.

Our stay was a Saturday overnight before boarding a cruise ship the next day, so all my comments pertain to a weekend stay, and I have no idea what difference a weekday stay might be. We arrived shortly after noon, and anticipated check-in might be delayed until later in the day. Upon arrival the bellman promptly met our taxi and secured our luggage, and in a very friendly and professional manner. We were directed to the reception desk where we were promptly met by a very friendly and professional receptionist. Our check-in was very fast with no hassle. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask during check-in if we could purchase a room upgrade if something special was available (we were booked in a standard room at a senior rate). She responded by giving us a complimentary upgrade to the 19th floor with city view. Upon finishing the check-in, I asked about WiFi in the room, and she responded by stating WiFi was available at a $9.95 charge, but she would give us complimentary WiFi. Wow, not what I expected! The bellman was prompt, friendly and professional when delivering our luggage to the room.

We were tired from our travels and decided to have lunch in the hotel restaurant, actually sitting at the bar where we could watch football while having something to eat. The fellow managing the bar at the time happen to be one of the restaurant managers. He was VERY engaging, friendly, and professional, anxious to promote the city and our options for making our stay as enjoyable as possible.

After a rest in the room, we decided not to attempt to go out on the town, it being a Saturday night and we were not particularly hungry after a late lunch. We returned to the restaurant bar, where we were served promptly and professionally. We watched more college football (it was a big weekend for such) before returning to our room.

The next morning we returned to the restaurant once again, although this time actually set in the restaurant. I went down early to have coffee and read the (complimentary) newspaper, and my wife joined me shortly thereafter. Our waiter was prompt and professional. The same manager from the afternoon before recognized us and approached us to confirm we had enjoyed our stay. We then talked about a number of subjects, as he was again engaging and professional (dressed in a business suit).

Finally the food and drink service, which also has a high rating. The offering was not what I would call "fine dinning", although the menu was sufficient, with a number of salads and sandwiches, along with some other options. The breakfast offering was either a menu or a buffet, both very nice. Our waiter suggested the buffet, because it included both food and drink, otherwise you get "nailed" on the cost of the drinks. He also brought me a wet hand cloth, which I needed after reading the newspaper. The cost of food and drink in the hotel is not cheap, at seventeen bucks for a cheeseburger and fries and twenty-two bucks for a buffet breakfast, but both were very good.

In summary, my excellent rating is based on everything except the room, which I rate as satisfactory. Since we were upgraded, perhaps the lower rooms might even be less satisfactory, or about the same, don't know.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Butchhall, Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It was a pleasure to read such a detailed response! I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us as well as the level of service from our staff. We hope that you had an amazing cruise and hope to see you again soon. Best, Emily

Reviewed October 17, 2013

A very convenient location that is central to historical areas of Boston. Great running options along the water or through Boston Common to the Charles River. For such a contemporary building the rooms were surprisingly old fashioned with dated bathrooms that had no extractor fan. The rooms were comfortable though but a room safe would be appreciated. Gym was very well equipped and had a great swimming pool. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the breakfasts were the highlight of our stay with a huge selection of anything you may

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Hi Craig, Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Boston. We are happy to hear you were able to take advantage of the great attractions Boston has to offer. We have just finished renovating all of our common areas as well as our fitness center and have plans to update the guest rooms in the near future, including the addition of a safe! We would love to welcome you back again. All my best, Emily