“I Felt Like I Was Staying at Ikea...”

Hyatt Regency Boston
Ranked #34 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“I Felt Like I Was Staying at Ikea...”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Cheap extended form the bar to the reception area to the rooms. Cheap sheets that don't fit the bed, cheap walls the allowed you to hear your neighbor sneeze, cheap towels, four elevators that didn't always work, no frills (a bottle of water was $4.50 in the room), everything about this hotel was cheap, EXCEPT FOR THE PRICE. They charged $50 to use valet service, but you could park your care 100 feet away yourself in the same garage for $15 on weekends. You have to take two elevators to get to any room, so you spend a lot of time waiting for elevators. They gym is located so far away and down flights of stares that you get a workout just walking back and forth. In a 1 to 10 this hotel was a 5-6 at best. The bar was small and part of the lobby and expensive.

I've rather spend an extra $50 a day and have a luxury hotel. After the perks of a luxury hotel, you'll problem break-even compared to the no-perks Hyatt Regency.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 15Zap
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for having taken the time and energy to describe the shortcomings you experienced during your recent stay. We certainly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve all of the amenities offered to our valued guest. Feedback such as yours plays a vital role. We understand your concern with the elevators; when the hotel was built, it was intended to be a security measure, put in place to monitor the flow of traffic to guest room floors. The security of our guest is very important to us and we still feel this is an added enhancement for our hotel. We hope that your experience does not overshadow all of the great things Boston and our hotel have to offer. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to regain your confidence in Hyatt Regency Boston. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because it was centrally located and close to the Boston Common park. We stayed two nights. The staff was very courteous and pleasant to talk with. Our room was nice and clean. Our room package included wi-fi. Our beds were comfortable. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the "city view" from our window. It was more like "brick-view" but what the hey, the hotel is right inside the city, it is expected. The price of the hotel stay isn't cheap like those outside Boston but we chose to stay inside Boston because we didn't want to deal with the traffic within the city had we chose to stay outside Boston. We left our car in a nearby parking structure for $34 a day and walked around, following the Freedom Trail. Overall, it was a decent stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jklo3403
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay at Hyatt Regency Boston! We are happy that you were able to take advantage of our hotels prime location in downtown Boston. We are thrilled to hear that our associates were nothing but pleasant during your stay! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Boston!
Durham, Maine
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here on an overnight getaway to Boston. Only 1/2 block to the Opera House, where we were seeing a show. Within walking distance (10 minutes) of Quincy Market and the Boston Commons. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a junior suite on the 21st floor, with great views. The room was large, clean and well maintained.
We had a pre-show lunch at the restaurant. The salad was very fresh and nicely presented. Service was friendly and prompt. Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: We received a free room upgrade with our Hyatt card.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky04222
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We’re thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of the Hyatt Regency Boston’s ideal location for theatre goers. A combination of a meal at our Avenue One restaurant and a short walk to the show, makes a luxurious memory convenient. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to welcome you back for another show and stay at the Hyatt.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First time at this Hyatt for one night on business and as a businessman your desires are clean efficient, good service and food. This place has all of that.
Professional desk staff, good clean rooms and a fairly good restaurant off the main lobby.

No complaints and will keep this one on my list for my Boston trips.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ghostrider5408
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Boston! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant. We take pride in our thoughtfully grown, carefully sourced food! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Boston!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Boston on three separate occasions over a month of travel. I loved the location and free transportation from the airport (via bus and then one T stop to Downtown Crossing). All the rooms were well appointed and well kept. Two things really stand out in my mind, one good and one kind of quirky. The first and best was the Front Desk staff. So nice and so helpful, especially one named Sarah. I arrived late on my first night (changed flight, bumped luggage) and she did everything to ensure I had what I needed for the night that was not in my carry-on and there was a message on my phone in the morning that my luggage had arrived. Awesome. Early and late checkout requests when needed were not a problem at all. On all three visits I was assured that they could help with anything, just call. The quirky thing? I think I have stayed at 6-7 Hyatts and the thing that stood out here was the huge warning signs (like 32 size font stickers) slapped on the doors of the refrigerators about being charged for anything consumed. I mean, most folks (I think?) know that minibars are not free...it just seemed a bit off to do this in an upscale hotel and I have never seen this done at any other Hyatt. All in all, an Excellent experience but please consider dropping the stickers! And a special thanks to Sarah.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NowVoyager63
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Kudos to doorman, front desk and office staff! they had been so friendly and helpful to my family. we visit Boston at least once a year for PAX Boston - in the last 3-4 years. By chance we picked it back in 2010, and it has become my go-to hotel for Boston. Close to restaurants, trains, etc... Thanks to staff like Laura and her marketing/guest services peeps for making my kids felt right at home. HELLO LARRY (THE LOBSTER)!

Room Tip: get a suite on top floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Daniel Island, South Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights and booked a total of three rooms. The positives were that the location was great, rooms were clean and staff was helpful for the most part. The downsides were the restaurant was expensive as well was the $50 a night for valet when most Boston hotels charge under $40. The biggest issue was upon returning home I noticed my credit card that held the reservation was charged and not the one swiped at check in. I wouldn't even be mentioning this except that when I called to ask about the charge, the front desk manager, Dee, stated that the card that was charged was the one that was swiped and she had proof. This wasn't true. I called my credit card company who confirmed my card was never swiped that day and then called the hotel again. This time I spoke with Julia who was excellent in handling the situation. She verified that the card charged was not the one that was swiped and credited my card and charged the correct one. If it wasn't for her professionalism in handling this problem then I would definitely never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for having taken the time and energy to describe your past stay. Please know your feedback plays a vital role for us, as we continue to improve our guest service levels. At the Hyatt Regency Boston we strive for superb guest service and the situation you recanted could have been handled better on our end. For this we are truly sorry. We hope that your experience does not overshadow all of the great things Boston and our hotel have to offer. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you again.