“Great hotel close to everything!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Boston
Ranked #32 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Durham, Maine
“Great hotel close to everything!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here on an overnight getaway to Boston. Only 1/2 block to the Opera House, where we were seeing a show. Within walking distance (10 minutes) of Quincy Market and the Boston Commons. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a junior suite on the 21st floor, with great views. The room was large, clean and well maintained.
We had a pre-show lunch at the restaurant. The salad was very fresh and nicely presented. Service was friendly and prompt. Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: We received a free room upgrade with our Hyatt card.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky04222
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We’re thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of the Hyatt Regency Boston’s ideal location for theatre goers. A combination of a meal at our Avenue One restaurant and a short walk to the show, makes a luxurious memory convenient. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to welcome you back for another show and stay at the Hyatt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

First time at this Hyatt for one night on business and as a businessman your desires are clean efficient, good service and food. This place has all of that.
Professional desk staff, good clean rooms and a fairly good restaurant off the main lobby.

No complaints and will keep this one on my list for my Boston trips.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ghostrider5408
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Boston! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant. We take pride in our thoughtfully grown, carefully sourced food! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Boston!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Boston on three separate occasions over a month of travel. I loved the location and free transportation from the airport (via bus and then one T stop to Downtown Crossing). All the rooms were well appointed and well kept. Two things really stand out in my mind, one good and one kind of quirky. The first and best was the Front Desk staff. So nice and so helpful, especially one named Sarah. I arrived late on my first night (changed flight, bumped luggage) and she did everything to ensure I had what I needed for the night that was not in my carry-on and there was a message on my phone in the morning that my luggage had arrived. Awesome. Early and late checkout requests when needed were not a problem at all. On all three visits I was assured that they could help with anything, just call. The quirky thing? I think I have stayed at 6-7 Hyatts and the thing that stood out here was the huge warning signs (like 32 size font stickers) slapped on the doors of the refrigerators about being charged for anything consumed. I mean, most folks (I think?) know that minibars are not free...it just seemed a bit off to do this in an upscale hotel and I have never seen this done at any other Hyatt. All in all, an Excellent experience but please consider dropping the stickers! And a special thanks to Sarah.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NowVoyager63
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Kudos to doorman, front desk and office staff! they had been so friendly and helpful to my family. we visit Boston at least once a year for PAX Boston - in the last 3-4 years. By chance we picked it back in 2010, and it has become my go-to hotel for Boston. Close to restaurants, trains, etc... Thanks to staff like Laura and her marketing/guest services peeps for making my kids felt right at home. HELLO LARRY (THE LOBSTER)!

Room Tip: get a suite on top floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Daniel Island, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights and booked a total of three rooms. The positives were that the location was great, rooms were clean and staff was helpful for the most part. The downsides were the restaurant was expensive as well was the $50 a night for valet when most Boston hotels charge under $40. The biggest issue was upon returning home I noticed my credit card that held the reservation was charged and not the one swiped at check in. I wouldn't even be mentioning this except that when I called to ask about the charge, the front desk manager, Dee, stated that the card that was charged was the one that was swiped and she had proof. This wasn't true. I called my credit card company who confirmed my card was never swiped that day and then called the hotel again. This time I spoke with Julia who was excellent in handling the situation. She verified that the card charged was not the one that was swiped and credited my card and charged the correct one. If it wasn't for her professionalism in handling this problem then I would definitely never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for having taken the time and energy to describe your past stay. Please know your feedback plays a vital role for us, as we continue to improve our guest service levels. At the Hyatt Regency Boston we strive for superb guest service and the situation you recanted could have been handled better on our end. For this we are truly sorry. We hope that your experience does not overshadow all of the great things Boston and our hotel have to offer. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you again.
Wrentham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a standard Hyatt in many respects and it delivers what you would expect from this flag. The service is friendly and efficient, the rooms are spacious and up to date, and the price is very competitive with the alternatives.
The location puts in walking distance of many of the sights of Boston (Common, Gardens, Faneuil Hall, North End, Freedom Trail, etc). Not going to make you faint with joy, but definitely a place we would stay again when in the are and looking for something serviceable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for providing a review of the Hyatt Regency Boston! We pride ourselves on our Downtown location and are happy that you were able to enjoy the convenience during your stay. I would encourage you to sign up for Hyatt Gold Passport and earn points toward future stays at ours and other Hyatt properties. We can provide points for your previous stay, as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The service received was far beyond what I would expect from a Hyatt Regency.

To start off, I reserved a room with 2 double beds months before and my reservation was non-refundale. Upon checking in and going to my room that was assigned to me, the room only had 1 king bed. I called down to the Front Desk to sort out the issue over the phone, but after telling the Front Desk clerk my issue, I was put on hold for approximately 3-5 minutes. When the next person picked up, the phone was abruptly cut off. I then called a second time to the Front Desk to try to sort out the matter. The phone kept on ringing and there was no answer. I then went down to the Front Desk to talk to someone in person as the phones were not being answered. I re-told the issue with someone at the Front Desk and his answer was "we overbooked our rooms and do not have a room with 2 double beds. Would you like to stay at the Revere Hotel, if they have a room with 2 double beds?" I asked him if the rooms were of the same price and rating, however he didn't know the answer. While I waited for him to get someone else to call the Revere Hotel, there were 2 other people trying to check-in, however ran into the exact same problem.... The Hyatt overbooked and as they had requested, the room with 2 double beds was not available. The same person who offered me to transfer to the Revere Hotel suggested the same to the 2 individuals checking in, however they were also offered one night free. They declined and the Front Desk Clerk excused himself to talk to a co-worker or manager. When he came back out, he told the same 2 individuals that there was going to be a room with 2 double beds ready once it had been cleaned. While another Front Desk Clerk came out to speak to me, I asked her "How did they just get a room with 2 double beds, and there isn't one available for me?" Her answer was "oh that's a dirty room, you don't want to be in there, trust me." The temporary solution for that day was to stay in the room with 1 king bed and have a cot brought up to the room and the next day, I would be able to get a room with 2 double beds. Well, the next day I went downstairs to the Front Desk and re-told my story to the Front Desk and brought down my luggage to have it transferred over to the new room while I was out for the day sightseeing. The Front Desk Clerk assured me that the bags were going to be brought up to our new room during the day and to get the new rooms keys when I arrived. I had faith that this would go smoothly... well it didn't. When I came back late that afternoon, I asked the new Front Desk Clerk for the new room key and confirmed that all our bags were in the new room. It just so happened that nothing was transferred over all day.

Main Issues:
1. When I booked the room (months previous) with 2 double beds in the description, that should have been the room I received
2. Why would the Hyatt over book reservations? This is ridiculous, because you are setting your staff to disappoint customers who have made reservations at your hotel.
3. The same promotion (1 night free) should have been offered to myself and the other 2 individuals checking in at the same time as me, when we had the exact same problem.
4. How could a room suddenly become available, when you "overbooked"
5. There is a major lack of communication between the staff at the Front Desk. Messages are not relayed on to the next person working the Front Desk and messages/notes are not posted to each room
6. The Front Desk called one of their own rooms "dirty", which does not resonate the best feeling for a customer

The hotel is in a great location, however the service I received was disappointing. After the first night, I was hoping that the next day would go smoothly with switching of the rooms while I was out for the day. I felt assured after leaving that morning and talking to the Front Desk Clerk, however everytime I spoke to somebody at the Hotel, I felt that their ability to provide excellent customer service was diminishing quickly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our property, but disappointed that you received this level of service while you were in Boston. Your feedback will help us to implement better policies, in the event that the hotel becomes oversold in the future. I would also encourage you to email us directly at qualitybosto@hyatt.com, so that our Guest Services staff can further discuss your stay. We hope that your experience with the service does not overshadow all of the great things about this city and our hotel, and that you'll give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Thank you again.