“Not Great”

Hyatt Regency Boston
Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We booked through Amex (which USUALLY gives you quite a few perks...free upgrade, free breakfast, hotel credit...) Well, we got nada for booking through AMEX which begs to question why be affiliated with the Amex travel program. As far as the Hotel itself, it was average. The room was very nice BUT, parking was almost $40/night bc it was city owned so be prepared for that little extra expense. The Restaurant was not good and was located very close to the lobby. We had to take an elevator from ground level to the lobby then walk across the lobby to catch another elevator to go to the actual room floors. After 5 days, this was annoying and we noticed other people were not happy with this as well. The hot water wasn't very hot and we could hear the doorman whistling for taxis until midnight and we were on the 16th floor. Will we stay there again? no, we saw the four seasons, ritz, and westin close to where we wanted and will def try those next time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,016)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was Boston on 4/12. I stayed at the hotel as I would be going to the Boston Opera House that night and wanted something close by. I was in room 2115 and had an exceptional stay. Check in was easy and the staff was very friendly. The room is a lot like most Hyatts - clean, modern furnishings and welcoming. If there was one complaint it is the $50 per night to valet park the car. Next time, I will do the self park and save $15. I am looking forward to my next visit to the Boston and this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The room was very spacious clean, the hotel renovated and well located, the staff helpful and the two concierges extremely well informed on the ins and outs of Boston and Cambridge. I recommend wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last summer for part of our family vacation. We found the location to be perfect . It had great access to restaurants, shopping and was within walking distance to all of the sites of Boston. The staff was very friendly from the front desk to the concierge and the doorman. The conceirge explained all the sites and made us reservations for a few of our tours.at discounted rates. The extra touches like flavoured cold water in the main lobby, on a few of hot days we had there, was much appreciated. The staff seemed empowered to do whatever they could to make your stay comfortable. The rooms were lovely and had comfortable beds. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you so much for that fantastic review!!! At the Hyatt Regency Boston we pride ourselves on our exceptional service, and view it as our personal calling to exceed our guest's expectations! We can't wait to see you again this summer so that we can show you the riveting renovations that we've just completed this past January. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Selected the HR for its location and my Hyatt Platinum status. Requested high floor and away from elevator. Front desk was accomodating in this regard. Chose the 'business' plan which is supposed to include internet, complimentary water bottles and breakfast. Breakfast was very good, never received the water bottles and the internet was intermittent. However if you want to pay extra, they will provide a 'better internet' experience. Not sure how they do that or why hotels continue to charge for internet - our lives revolve around the internet. No newspaper at my door in AM. That is a Hyatt Rewards perk and while there were papers available in the lobby, I didnt want to get dressed and go 22 floors down to get my morning ink. C'mon Hyatt, deliver the paper as promised in your Rewards promise.

Requested a 'status upgrade' but was told the hotel was sold out. Interestingly, the bartender said that the hotel was only about 70% full.

Good location for business and a quick stroll to Boston Commons/Beacon Hill. Plenty of restaurants and shopping within a few blocks.

I will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a State Building View (Gold Dome)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 60isthenew40
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Boston. Additional thanks for your loyalty to Hyatt hotels around the country. As you know, the Platinum status does entitle you to some extra perks however, we recognize that each guest has their own specific preferences and so we ask that you make requests during your stay or update your Gold Passport profile so that we can provide you with personalized services. In this regard, we only deliver newspapers upon request unless it is noted in your Hyatt Guest Profile.

As for the WIFI, I do apologize for its substandard level. In fact, we completed a transition over to a new (and faster) internet provider this past weekend. As a Platinum member, wireless internet access is always complementary and when available, we do try to offer room upgrades as well. Given the limited number of upgraded room types, we often find ourselves fully committed or “sold out.” However, I would like to encourage you to call the property in advance so we can check the availability prior to your arrival.

Given our excellent location, I’m sure you will choose to stay with us next time you are in Boston. If you do, don’t hesitate to tell us exactly what you want so we can deliver!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just returned from Boston after a 4 night stay at the Hyatt Regency. First the reception staff was very good. But the time we arrived on Floor 20 we started our dismal stay. The whole floor smelled like a combination of Lysol and Pine-Sol. The room was so "stinky" we left the windows open for 4 hours. No luck. While getting ready for bed we discovered what the smell was! They had shampooed the carpets and left them so wet that your feet became wet while walking on the carpet. We had to leave the windows open all night when it was 40 degrees +. Most irritating was no one on the staff seemed to care because they were so busy. Additionally, The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows were lumpy. There was mold in the shower and our room was never cleaned before 3:00 p.m. ( and one day after 6:00 p.m.). Service is plain shoddy. I truly can't believe the Hyatt has its name on this place
Good news. The hotel has an excellent gym.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gizmo013_13
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Let me start by saying that I've stayed at quite a few Boston hotels over the years - for business and pleasure. I've had to stay a lot since November 2012 due to hospital visits and have, on each occasion, stayed at different hotels because most of them were absolutely lousy! In fact the worst hotel I stayed at was the Number 1-rated Commonwealth (you might want to read my review on THAT one)!
Anyway, this time I needed 2 rooms: one for senior parents visiting from UK (for a tourist trip) and one for me (2 adults, 2 children - one with medical needs for a hospital trip). I got a ridiculously low rate via Priceline. One of the main criteria for me (and I may be shallow), in addition to cleanliness, is the ability to relax and, in my case, swim. Many hotels offer a 'lap pool' but are not even close when you look at their little 12' long excuse for a pool. In this case, it did what it said on the tin (as we say in the UK).
I emailed the hotel in advance to ask them to attach my rewards card to the room expenditure. The reservations manager kindly offered to upgrade my room due to my child's illness, but I felt it would be rude so stuck with the room I paid for.
So we got 2 rooms, regular type, with 2 queen beds. On arriving we valet-parked. Yes, it is expensive at $50 but we were VERY tired so it was worth it. Next day I found out that I could park in exactly the same attached car park for much less if I self-parked so we chose to do that after the 1st night (worth knowing if you are there for a few days).
Check in was very easy and the staff very pleasant. So to the rooms:
The rooms are regulation sized for a city but very clean. Compared to the Commonwealth Fenway Rooms, these were clinically clean. The bathrooms are clean BUT dated. The caulking around the bath area was deteriorating and the general bath area was in need of upgrading, but I am picky as the rest of the bathroom was very clean.
The beds: They were very comfortable BUT (as other reviewers have mentioned) - there were mattress covers on the mattresses that were WAY too small - obviously meant for full sized beds but put on queen beds. This meant that the sheets kept pulling off during the night as the mattress protectors slipped off. I'm not sure why they even bother. Many hotels put dual-sized mattresses on their beds. I'd rather they did that and put an encasement or cheap mattress protector on the bed but for it to be the right size than something obviously too small. I asked on the second night if they could adjust the mattress protector and they did - but the mattress protector still fell off...which is a pain in the...in the middle of the night.
We stayed the weekend of an Irish dancing festival with lots of dancers in the hotel...but never heard a thing and I am a light sleeper so kudos for that.
We ate in the hotel restaurant the first night and the food was very nice, especially the fish. My father mentioned that he had never eaten such good fish (and he's eaten A LOT). They were very quick to refill the bread baskets and were very attentive. My incredibly picky 8-year old couldn't get enough of the rosemary bread which was very fresh. The problem was that there were not enough staff on duty that night (especially the bar) so things were v.e.r.y slow. I would have thought that given the festival going on, they would have anticipated a full restaurant, but this seemed to have slipped.
The female concierge on duty was wonderful and very knowledgeable. I had organized an overnight delivery from Amazon to me but it never arrived. When I asked her, she asked whether it was an Amazon package. When I said yes, she explained that Amazon in their generic system, put a 2-street address on their packages and UPS deliver to some apartment building on the other side of town. She apologised profusely and explained that she has often walked to that other building to try and retrieve guest packages but it is non-attended and therefore she can't. I called Amazon and they verified this! Apparently UPS is too lazy to recognize that there is only ONE Boston Hyatt Regency and don't bother delivering Amazon packages. So whilst I was very angry with Amazon and UPS, I couldn't fault the effort of the Concierge.
So...to the pool and gym.. I am a swimmer. That is my only method of relaxing. I was expecting the usual 'lie' for a lap pool but, guess what...it was a LAP pool!!!! Not the longest in the world, but an actual pool that real swimmers can swim in. They have one lane split off purely for lap swimmers and there are another 3 full lanes to swim in also. Obviously other people have also found this out as I saw another 2 'proper' swimmers during my time there. There was never a problem finding room to swim, however, so that was great. There was plenty of room for my children (and others) to swim also. The pool is separated from the gym by a glass wall. The gym equipment is new, clean and obviously well kept. The only problem with the pool area (which is accessed via 6th floor), is that you have to go down 2 flights of stairs. This isn't great if you have two seniors in poor health with you who cannot walk far. Not a big thing, but worth noting.
The location was fantastic. 3 blocks from Fanueil Hall, a few steps from Boston Common and lots of old plaques for the tourists to look at! At the side of Chinatown and in the Theater District, there were loads of restaurants to choose from.
I did not eat breakfast in the hotel, but my parents did with the grandchildren. They said it was good, the staff REALLY tried to please the 8-year old, but it was incredibly expensive.
All-round, we were really pleased, especially at the rate we got. The rooms we had weren't incredibly high end, but did everything we asked for. The location, the staff, the cleanliness and the pool/gym pleased all of our guests..young and old, tourist and regular and that's what mattered. I have never had a bad experience at a Hyatt Regency. They may not be the poshest chain, but for all-round very good, I've not been let down yet.
Of all the hotels I've stayed in, in Boston, this will be the one we return to.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from 6th floor (which is pool area). If you pay $45 extra you will get an upgraded...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mdbd1
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive review of your stay here at the Hyatt Regency Boston! I am thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed yourselves so much.

It looks as though you are a big fan of the saline lap pool, as so many others are (including me). We can actually boast the largest indoor pool in the Boston area.

Among the many other great things you pointed out, I have to comment on the praise for our chef's fish. With so many great dining options in the area, people sometimes overlook the fantastic restaurant we have here on property. Many visitors have seafood on their mind when travelling to Boston, so the fish is an excellent choice. Next time, try the lobster grilled cheese. Of course, there's always the classic New England clam chowder and in my opinion, we have the best bowl of chowda' in the city!