“Still very good...what happened in the renovation?”

Hyatt Regency Boston
Ranked #33 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel...still very nice. Great staff that is helpful and friendly. I actually had the same room...they called it a junior suite but it just seems to be a good sized room. I will say that the email before my previous stay, asking if there was anything they could do to make the stay more enjoyable was nice...and missed this time.

Not that it matters in the overall stay...but I have to wonder who chose the renovation design. No doubt, it needed a facelift since my last stay...but I think they missed the mark. What about the more urban- contemporary Hyatt design? Instead the purple and gray just doesn't seem to fit the location of the hotel or the rooms.

Overall, not a big deal I guess...the rooms and the staff cause you to overlook the decor of the lobby space. I would stay here again, given my past stays...but have a harder time recommending it to others...as a great Boston hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ord2002
Write a ReviewReviews (4,064)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have to say when I initially got out of the cab at the hotel I was a little cautious as I walked in and was told that the lobby was actually up in the lifts.... I thought here we go....

Went up to the 3rd floor to check in and the staff were excellent, quick check in and then onto our room.

The hotel is generally well kept, a few things may need to be updated at some point (the lifts were a little outdated and worn for example) however I have yet to find a hotel that can keep everything perfect while still maintaining good value for money. The hotel does excel in what I feel matters. The rooms were a good size, the bed was excellent allowing a very good sleep. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard.

The service we received from the staff was excellent, from the reception staff, to the maid though to the concierge made everything flow smoothly and I cannot commend them enough, it really did make a difference to our stay.

my only grumble would be its can get a little expensive eating at the hotel and using things like wifi at approx. $10 per day can add up, so if you are not on business able to recoup the expense it may be cheaper to eat at one of many other restaurants around Boston and use their 'free' wifi. One tip is that you can access an hrs free wifi in the lobby each day if required (not sure if this is an 'official' benefit but did come in handy). I do have to say when we did eat at the restaurant food and service were good. (Boston on the whole was more expensive to eat out than I had anticipated, but probably due to its location an the dollar being fairly strong at the moment)

In summary, this is a very good hotel with all the amenities you require for both business and pleasure. Service is excellent and overall experience was good, the placement in downtown Boston means getting round to either the financial district or even a walk / T ride into back bay makes it an ideal location again for business or leisure.

I certainly will not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loveduppaul
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel is located in the theatre district of Boston. This is right in the heart of things and within walking or short taxi of the action in Boston including some amazing restaurants and bars as well as most of the highlights of Boston.
The concierge desk at this hotel is also very good. They put me onto some great local haunts which I loved.
It is what you expect from the Hyatt Regency. This is a very consistent and dependable brand. Good sized rooms. Great consumables including toothpaste which is so handy. 2
Perfect for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank djfowler
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Only a few blocks from the Boston Common and from Faneuil Hall, this is a great jumping off point for all things downtown. The hotel is clean and comfortable, with staff that are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mickey91
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for a week in April 2012. The location is excellent and you to walk to almost all the landmarks. It is a few blocks from Chinatown It is reasonably priced. The rooms are clean and have decent views.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TequilaVancouver
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We love our proximity to Chinatown, but did you know we’re also near the Financial and Theater districts? We still have our fantastic location, but we have undergone some changes since your last visit in April and would love for you to come back and check out our newly renovated lobby. We hope to be seeing you again sometime soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Thank goodness it is because, like several hundreds other guests, we found ourselves “trapped” there when a blizzard hit Boston the day after we arrived.

The streets were under several feet of snow and the weather was so fierce at times, it was virtually impossible to go out.

The hotel coped reasonably well – although the restaurant service basically fell apart as a result of the unusually heavy demand.

However, when we complained about the delays, we were told what was going on and did not have to pay for what we had consumed.

Not exactly what we had wanted, as we went hungry, but at least the staff were honest. The menu went out of the window the next night and a pretty awful buffet was put on – undercooked and overpriced.

Despite this, the hotel room was warm and modern and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Wifi is not free in the rooms but if you use the system in the lounge you can practically get it for nothing outside your room. The business lounge is a bit cramped and too near the restaurant for peace and quiet but it was still acceptable.

The entrance is a bit underwhelming as you go down to a basement car park and take a lift to the third floor before entering the reception area.

Otherwise, it is very close to the financial district, Boston Common, Chinatown and only a 15-minute walk from the dockside area.

I only hope the weather is better the next time I go.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Charles F, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

First and foremost thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Hyatt Regency Boston. As a fellow survivor of storm Nemo I can honestly say that I empathize with the predicament you had during your stay. All of us at the hotel were working at full cylinders to communicate and effectively find ways to serve the daunting demand that comes with being one of a few restaurants still open during the storm. I’m proud to hear that the staff remained “friendly and helpful” given the circumstances of the blizzard. We at the Hyatt Regency Boston view service as a calling, and do our upmost best to provide excellent service regardless of the weather. In the future I hope you do come back and try our restaurant in less onerous circumstances. I’m sad to hear that you found the buffet less than satisfactory; we were acting to provide the best meal for the large demand that came to the restaurant during the storm. We will also be hoping for better weather circumstances so that for your next visit we can have the opportunity to show you what great food and service our restaurant, Avenue One, can truly provide!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great location right at the border of the financial/theatre districts and chinatown. Clean, higher end. Was a bit disappointed with the rooms though. Old carpeting, nicks and dents on all of the bathroom wood and fixtures, older tub, etc...BUT the bed is wonderful. Also, no night light and no bag in the closet for laundry. For the cost of the rooms, I was expecting a bit more.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business