“Superb”

Newbury Guest House
Ranked #47 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Newbury House far exceeded our expectations. Can't say enough good things. For some reason we expected a tiny room but to our surprise it was adequate and more importantly it had an effiicient and very quiet A/C! It was a "standard" room. We had a very comfortable queen size bed. An elevator took us to our third floor room which was very quiet.

Breakfast was included. It was very good; scrambled eggs, bacon, and surprisely good pancakes. Fortified us for the entire day! The hotel was located on the beautiful Newbury St. which we thoroughly enjoyed and about 3 blocks from the T and Trinity church. The T took us everywhere we wanted to go even the JFK museum.

We really enjoyed Boston and loved going to the Papa Razzi Italian restuarant just down the street where we went 3 times during our 6 day tour! All in all, a wonderful stay and we will definitely be back. We did not have a car but there is parking available.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
NewburyGuestHouse261, General Manager at Newbury Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2015

Thank you so very much for taking the time out to write a review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed there for two nights in July. Great location in Newbury Street. Very very clean. A bit awkward for luggage for seniors or people with difficulty as there are steps up to the front door. However someone is usually around who can help. Also a bit awkward with the luggage on the higher floors as it is an old house with a few steps here and there. I have to say that is my only complaint. Very nice b/fast included. My son left his phone there and they called me. We were too far away to pick it up so they said they would mail it to my home address. I said I would pay the postage and they said not to worry. They were as good as their word. The phone arrived by the time we got back postage paid by them. Would most definately stay there again. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Difficulty dragging luggage and heavy items on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here in late June when we were attending our son's graduation at Harvard. We loved being in Newbury Street which is beautiful and also convenient to all other places of interest. The room, at the front of the guest house, was spacious and comfortable. The staff, whilst not being particularly friendly, were efficient. The breakfast was adequate. We would not hesitate to stay here again as it was so much more enjoyable than the Boston international hotels at which we have stayed inn the past.

Room Tip: Do not worry about noise: it's worth getting a lovely front room as it's very quiet on Newbu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Irishexpat
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great location for seeing Boston. Central. Good to people watch in the evening as it is a bustling street with lots of activity. The trattoria across the road and French restaurant by the steps to the hotel both worth a visit. The inclusive breakfast is excellent. Attentive staff and reliable wifi.

1  Thank Travelling G
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a room facing Newbury Street with a superb view. The Newbury Guest House is in a top location. It was a pleasure to stay in this friendly small, well maintained hotel - walking distance from Copley Square (5-7 minutes by foot) and Fenway. The bathroom worked well, the bed was comfortable, the air con good (heatwave when we were there), and the breakfast much more than the "complimentary Continental breakfast" advertised: coffee, orange juice, cereals, fruit salad, plain yogurt, cheese, tomato, scramble eggs, crispy bacon, pancakes (maple syrup), jam, marmalade, butter and bread. There is also complimentary tea and coffee all day, opposite the reception desk. Newbury Street starts with high class boutiques, then changes into restaurants and café society, with a backdrop of bohemian atmosphere. The WiFi did not work in our room and we had to use the hotel computer (for guests) to check our email. Friendly desk.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay window room or a room overlooking Newbury Street.
1  Thank Pete026
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I went here in June and I had just spent two weeks in Europe, so I was tired. That being said, the bed was great and we had a room in the back which was very quiet. However, the toilet was making some kind of grinding noise and stopped flushing by morning. I called the front desk and they sent a woman to my room who just handed me a plunger and walked away. For the money, I would think they would talk to me about this and at the least be part of the solution. Also, the water from the tap ran black when I initially turned it on. Clear after that. Nice building, but rooms lack character. The breakfast was good. I appreciated the fruit and pancakes while my husband enjoyed the eggs and bacon provided. Location was great!

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the building.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Denise466
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Perfect location! Love having a view from the front facing Newbury Street! Close to everything-walking distance to Fenway! Our room was charming! The only problem for me was the bed just wasn't comfortable-I didn't sleep well both nights and had back pain both mornings. Also, our 2nd night we had an issue with the tv volume-a muffled sound so we couldn't watch tv which was a little disappointing. However, they have a nice continental breakfast which includes pancakes, and bacon and they have elevators to each floor. Even though they have elevators you must carry your luggage up and down 4 stairs. Overall it was a good stay, however, given the issue I had with the uncomfortable beds I don't think we will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on one of the top floors facing Newbury Street so you aren't woken up by peop...
2  Thank Joy W