“Good hotel, but one big caveat”

Hilton Boston Back Bay
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My wife and I stayed here over Presidents Weekend for a Valentine's Day trip. The hotel is clean and well maintained and the location is excellent: near the Prudential Center mall and a couple of blocks from old Back Bay and Newbury Street with its shops and restaurants. Symphony Hall is a block and a half away, and we attended a superb BSO concert there.
However, a warning is in order: I reserved a King corner room at a discounted rate, paid in full for both nights, nonrefundable. When we arrived, we were told there was no corner room available because the occupants of one room had asked to stay another night. We were given a King standard room, but NO ADJUSTMENT for the rate because we had paid in advance! The standard room was cramped for us and had an oblique view past the Sheraton next door: ok, but not what I'd paid for.
The concierge very kindly gave us complimentary breakfast, which more than made up for the price difference. But money is not the issue: full pre-payment with no refund should GUARANTEE the room. My conclusion is that the hotel preferred to let the other people stay because they could pay the rack rate for the night.
So, while I think the hotel is a good value for Boston, be aware that you may not get the room you want, even if you take the nonrefundable rate.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We were honored to be your host during your visit to Boston.

I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the room type you expected. Certainly, this is not the type of experience we are striving to provide and deeply regret that our attempt to accommodate another guest intruded on your stay. I agree that you should receive what you paid for and am glad the desk did their best to make amends with the offer of breakfast.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,955)

Reviewed February 9, 2010

We stayed at the Back Bay Hilton the last weekend in January 2010. We had a great room.... the entire room was new and extremely clean... the bathroom sparkled. Front Desk service was top notch. This is a terrific location and convenient to everything in Boston.

We are coming back to Boston in April and will definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent experience. We were honored to be your host during your visit to Boston and pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in April!

Reviewed January 29, 2010

I stayed here for business, and had a great stay. The Honors rooms are extremely spacious, probably one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in in a hotel, with great views. Hotel service was polite, friendly, very helpful. We were close to transportation and the business center was convenient.

Overall, I'd stay here again - great hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Hilton a few times this year, for business and pleasure, most recently for a weekend get together with a group of old friends. The Hilton is in an ideal location, walking distance to great shopping and restaurants, as well as the downtown business area. It is also extremely easy to access from the highway, which is a big plus when driving into town. The staff at the Hilton was most helpful in suggesting restaurants, and the concierge was extremely knowlegable and had great suggestion for places to visit etc. I am always impressed with the friendly staff and the "boutique' feel of the hotel. The breakfast buffet is wonderful, and the lounge is a great place to relax and have a drink. The rooms are beautiful, with great views of the city. As a frequent business traveler and visitor to I would highly recommend the Hilton to anyone traveling to Boston. You can't go wrong here!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent experience. We were honored to be your host during your visit to Boston. Your gracious comments are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed January 29, 2010

I spent the weekend with my girlfriends from college at the Back Bay Hilton, as we're all celebrating the fabulous 50 this year. Our stay at the Hilton couldn't have been better. The staff was incredibly accommodating, especially the general manager. The accommodations were spotless and lovely. The location is perfect, easy walking to great dining and shopping. The concierge and general manager went out of their way to secure a last minute dinner reservation for Saturday night at a very, trendy, upscale restaurant in high demand. We couldn't have asked for more. Kudos to the Back Bay Hilton!!! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We were honored to be your host on such a special weekend and play a small role in making it memorable. Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed January 22, 2010

I spent one night in the Hilton Back Bay in mid-January of 2010. Great location, and the room was typically HIlton: very good bed, and a spacious-enough room with fairly utilitarian appointments. The only functional problem was the heat: the thermostat would only go down to 65, which is too warm for sleeping as far as I'm concerned. So I turned off the heating system and opened a window, and was then comfortable except for the traffic noise (which would have been even worse had I not been on the 21st floor). Overall, a nice room at a reasonable price.

My breakfast at 40 Dalton (the hotel restaurant) the next morning was another matter, though. I was seated promptly by a very pleasant hostess, and then handed off to a waiter who asked what I'd like to drink. I told him water would be fine, which must have offended him, because he basically never served me after that. After a long wait, the hostess came by and asked if I'd had a chance to order. I said no, and she took my order. She also brought me my food -- a breakfast panini, which was excellent. When I ran out of water my waiter was still AWOL, so I ended up asking the busgirl to bring me some, which she did. When I was halfway through my sandwich, my waiter came by and plunked my bill down on top of the paper I was reading, and walked away.

Needless to say, he got no tip. The sandwich really was good, though.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

You are correct that our thermostats do not allow for a temperature setting below 65 degrees. However, you can turn off the unit completely which would also allow the temperature to drop without having to open the window. Our maintenance team is also available at any time if you ever have any challenges.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unacceptable attitude you encountered in the restaurant. Certainly, this is not the type of service we are striving to provide and trust this was a most unfortunate exception. We will be sure to share your experience with the team in order to improve upon our service.

Reviewed January 14, 2010

Arrival was very early and I knew the room wouldn't be ready. The front desk allowed me to use the fitness center. It has 4 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, 3 bicycles, dumbbells up to 50 lbs, multiple weight stations, locker room and pool. It was quite crowded, but I was able to get my work out in and have a shower.

Surprisingly, my room was ready after heading back to the front desk and the room was on the upper floors facing the Charles River and looking into Fenway Park. Pretty cool. Clean, good sized. The walls are a bit thin so could hear the people in the room next to me. The water pressure in the showers really sucked. Bathroom was also quite small.

The restaurant downstairs, Forty Dalton, was really quite good and prices for food and drink were reasonable.

The concierge desk was extremely helpful and quite friendly. The bellhops were hit and miss. Some just stood around watching people struggle through the door and didn't help until asked, but others went the extra mile.

All and all a good value with a great location.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We were honored to be your host during your visit to Boston.

I am very pleased the front desk was able to get you into your room early and you were able to enjoy a workout in the interim.

Your constructive feedback regarding inconsistent service you noted by lobby staff is greatly appreciated. Your comments will be used in a constructive manner as we are constantly striving to improve upon our product and services.