“great location super nice staff”

Hilton Boston Back Bay
Ranked #54 of 83 Hotels in Boston
ct
“great location super nice staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

have previously stayed in sheraton- this one is nice. some of the hallway decor is a little dated but overall the location is superb=just walk out and you are near Newbury street and the Pru Center. The doorman was so ncie he grabbed a toothbrush forus because the front desk was busy; the front desk people were super friendly. having Starbux in the lobby was just great because sometimes you don't want a huge heavy breakfast. the staff there was super friendly too and they were handing out little cups of hot chocolate. we happened to get a great rate on hotels.com for a last minute reservation but would stay here again. it's so close to everything and the staff is nice. the park=it yourself isnice because at the last minute we decided to stay in the boston area after we checked out and we had the parking until 7 the day we checked out which was very convenient to have. thegym is one of the best I've seen andasI recall no extra fee. great work out facilities and free weights and machines.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
It is through such feedback that we are able to continually improve our property to meet and exceed the needs of our guests. I am very happy to see you had such a great stay with us and I will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff! We look forward to welcoming you back to Boston in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
kingston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Thanks to Nemo, we were opted to leave our home on the south shore due to prolonged power outage. We live in Plymouth and Boston was the closest place with power and available rooms (and we called a lot of hotels!). We opted for the back bay for convenience. The Hilton just happened to the be first hotel that popped up. It took 4 calls to reserve our rooms (my cell kept dropping the call!) and finally the man a spoke with ended up saying "if you can hear me I am holding 2 rooms for you" (all he got was my name, no cc info). That was nice. When we arrived, check in was very easy and quick. There was one especially nice young woman, I wish I got her name, she came over and spoke to my sons (5 and 2) while they were waiting, gave them markers and paper which I was so grateful for!! (we left in a hurry and forgot our crayons). We were given connecting rooms which were spacious and clean. Beds were comfy. We used the pool which was great. Starbucks in the lobby was great. We really found the staff very friendly. Location is great, literally across the street from the Prudential with food and shops. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if needed. The only complaint I would have is we were not able to get the AAA rate because we didn't book online so we had to pay full price. Not sure why front desk couldn't adjust the price (especially as a courtesy due to our circumstance). Also the breakfast at 40 Dalton was not very good but convenient!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
It is through such feedback that we are able to continually improve our property to meet and exceed the needs of our guests. I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel and restaurant. I am very happy to see you had such a great stay with us during Nemo and I will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff!
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here for a conference but wish I hadn't. The hotel is badly in need of renovation - it has an outdated feel with worn out decor and fittings. Mostly the colours are brown and beige and generally miserable and dull.
The aircon is old too. It makes a huge noise and so woke me up continually through the night whenever it switched on. Ditto the ice-making machines in the corridors - the one near my room made a loud buzzing that I could hear in my room so I had to get another.
The TV had no film channels.
But the worst thing is the room service. I ordered a burger around 10pm and it took till nearly midnight to arrive. that was despite 5 phone calls to ask what had happened.
The Sheraton is just across the way - stay there if you can.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sheraton over the road
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our Guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms, and apologize for the noise issues encountered during your stay. We also regret we were not able to provide you with the dining experience you expected. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is the second time i've stayed at the Hilton Boston Back Bay - it's a great hotel, having now stayed at the Hilton Downtown Financial District, I can provide a proper comparison. This hotel doesn't have any suites (well just one) but it does have larger corner rooms. Superior rooms are on the 23+ floors. The gym and pool and jacuzzi are significantly better than the Hilton Downtown, the parking is about $40 but it has unlimited in/out, no need for a valet and allows you to leave later in the day and arrive early, the hilton downtown will charge you +$12 on your $45 parking fee if you arrive before 1pm and +$12 if you leave after 1pm! So this hotel is definitely better value for money. The breakfast buffet is open till 11am, and the rooms are fine, albeit small unless you get a corner room. The location close to newbury street is nice with good restaurants and less corporately like downtown. Definitely will be coming back again. It would be nice if they did put Diamonds into the slightly larger rooms. Beds a little soft for me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

We look forward to welcoming you back to Boston in the near future!
Lancaster, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. They allowed me to leave my car there for well over 24 hours for the 24 hour rate since I attended a 2 day conference at the Hynes (right across the street). The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and I had a great view overlooking the Christian Science building. It's a short walk (less than a block) to Boylston Street where there are plenty of restaurants. Copley Square is also very close. There's a subway station near the Hynes which will get you anywhere in the city. I booked it 2 days ahead of time for a rate of $119. My colleague booked his the night before and got it for $109. HHonors gold and diamond members get the breakfast buffet for free.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room overlooking the Christian Science building.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
It is through such feedback that we are able to continually improve our property to meet and exceed the needs of our guests. I am very happy to see you had such a great stay! We look forward to welcoming you back to Boston in the near future!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Dates of Stay 8-10 February 2013.
This was a last minute decision due to the Blizzard of 2013. We originally were to rent a car and drive to the northwest suburbs, but that looked highly improbable 24 hours in advance and actually turned out to be such; actually we could have gotten there but getting back would have been an adventure plus a lot of work clearing snow and getting out of a plowed parking lot with walls of snow. We had flights that could not be changed to a reasonable departure/return date (had to fly within the next 5 days), and we had a now non-cancelable hotel reservation on Thursday night (since it was less than 24 hours away) and a prepaid reservation on Saturday at the Hilton Airport, for which we were actually later able to receive a full refund of the prepaid amount so that was good. The Hampton Inn reservation in the suburbs was cancelable up until 6 pm on Friday. I called the Hilton Back Bay on Thursday morning and explained my situation. They agreed to allow me to cancel up until noon on Friday without charge in case the blizzard turned out to be a dud, but since it turned out as expected or even more severe, I didn’t cancel. After my stay there, I still wonder if they would have kept their word and let me cancel had circumstances been different, but I think they would have given how well they treated us. We arrived around noon since I called Friday morning to let them know that we would definitely be there and to see how early we could check in since the weather was beginning to develop. They were very kind on the phone, and I have no complaints with any member of the staff except the first person I talked to on Thursday morning who didn’t know how far the nearest T stop was from the hotel-she said at least 30 minutes in broken English, and I knew I had an airhead on the phone so I hung up since I had not given a name at that point and called back and got someone with some sense. I am not sure if she was actually at the hotel or in a reservations office somewhere else; if she was a hotel employee, the subject never came up while I was there. We were upgraded to a corner room on the 15th floor-Room 1505. It would have been nice to have been higher but with the storm we would probably have had even lower visibility than the little bit we had as the storm developed. It was very windy, and there were some scary moments, but everything turned out ok. There was a small balcony, but it could not be accessed although I think that the window by the bed could have been opened, but we didn’t for obvious windy/air pressure reasons. The room was nice with a king sized bed, bedside tables with lamps with outlets in their bases, a nice easy chair with a little round table, a desk with lamp and a 2nd phone, a 3 drawer dresser with large tv on top, and a stand with a fridge inside and coffee maker and ice bucket on top. Ice machine was to the right just steps away past the elevator bank on the left. They gave us 4 bottles of water at check-in plus there were 2 more in the room. There was also water in the Diamond Lounge at breakfast to take. All that was missing was a microwave. We might have bought a pizza Friday afternoon before 2 pm when everything in the neighborhood started closing had we had one, but it wasn’t a big deal. There was a closet with hangers, iron and ironing board, and a good sized safe. The bathroom had shower/tub combo, sink, and toilet. Top quality amenities were provided. There was more than ample hot water, and it arrived very quickly, even on the 15th floor. The towels were also large and soft. Everything was clean, and I had no complaints with the furniture or room set up. My complaint was with the satellite tv. Due to the storm, there were times when we received no channels, not even the local ones. I realize it was difficult for them to keep the satellite on top of the building snow free (they did try by what the lady at the front desk told me the next morning-I wouldn’t want that job in the blizzard), but it just proves that cable is better than satellite when weather is involved. They did their best with the satellite. We ate dinner in the restaurant the first night since nothing else was open except the one bar with bar food at the Sheraton across the street. They were both overpriced so we chose the one at the Hilton so we could receive some additional points. I asked if there was a discount for Hilton Honors Gold members, and they said no. They should give a discount to entice their loyalty members to eat there because if it weren’t for the weather, I wouldn’t have eaten there. Actually, I had reservations at a French restaurant in Kenmore Square, but they called to cancel about 1 pm once they realized that they had to close. The subway/commuter trains stopped at 3:30 pm, and cars/taxis were prohibited after 4:00 pm so the only way to get around was to walk, and with the weather and the fact that nothing was open except a video store and a chocolate shop in the Prudential mall, there really was no where to go. At the 40 Dalton restaurant in the Hilton, there was a waitress who was out of sight more than not, a bartender who served and cleared more than the waitress, and a banquet manager who was helping out the most. Based on the service, I think she would have been slow even if they were fully staffed and the restaurant was emptier. Obviously, the hotel was mostly empty since there were only about 25 people in the bar and restaurant. The lobby was mostly empty too, and I rarely saw any customers at the Starbucks. I found the food to be surprisingly good. We had the clam chowder and the cod entrée, but the prices were too high, even for Back Bay Boston, and I’ve already made my comment about the slow service. Given the circumstances, I really have no major complaint. Because we were Gold, they gave us coupons for free continental breakfast. It is supposed to include 2 hot items per the hotel’s response to a previous TripAdvisor reviewer, but there were several choices, including scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with veggies with cheese (1st day), scrambled eggs with meat and cheese (2nd day), bacon, sausage, and oatmeal. They really tried to make their loyalty members comfortable. For $10 more, one could have the full buffet on most days, but these mornings our selection in the private Diamond Lounge was better without the extra $10. On Sunday, a lady pretended to be a cow and began to breastfeed two tables away, and I got an udderly full view. What’s next, plopping the baby on the table in between and changing the diaper, poop smells and sights included? Unless there is an emergency, some things are better left out of public view. Service was more than fantastic with the nicest, most attentive lady in charge, but just be alert at the toaster as bread gets stuck and burns! Due to the weather, they were going to be flexible about check out time, but since public transportation was still out of service all day Saturday and driving was prohibited until 4 pm, I called down before 8 am to see how much for us to stay Saturday night. They said $109, which was fantastic and $34 less than we paid for Friday night. We opted to not have housekeeping service, but they offered, but I just asked for more towels, soap, and shampoo. They offered to help me get my prepaid amount back from the airport Hilton, but other than forwarding my phone call for which they charged me $1.25 plus tax for a local call even though I could have made the call on my cell (but they did reverse the charge once I complained upon seeing my bill that was put under the door), they didn’t have to assist further since the airport Hilton was very understanding and only put up a little resistance at first before going above and beyond to help me since I had to talk to the Priority Club reservations/billing office as well. We had to take a taxi to the airport on Sunday since public transportation was still not available, and that costs us almost $25 with fare, toll, and tip, which was a little higher than I expected, but he had to drive more slowly through snow until we reached the main road. I questioned the toll charge since there is none from downtown to the airport, but he said they charge 50% of the rate from the airport to town so I wonder if they do the same for those arriving-but I don’t plan to find out and I doubt it knowing the reputation of taxi cab drivers! Like many others, we had a rescheduled flight, but we had received not only a confirmed seat on the afternoon flight but also an upgrade due to our Platinum status on Delta. If I have to stay in downtown Boston or decide just to make a weekend trip for fun, I would definitely consider staying here. It’s close to Fenway, and there are many nearby restaurants I would like to try like the Summer Shack next door plus more along Boylston St., but they were closed due to the blizzard. Thanks to a great, professional, dedicated staff who were working much overtime and had to be tired although they were all full of energy and always there to help (except waitress in 40 Dalton). They also called several times to make sure everything was ok with room and service, and at least one, but usually more, would always say hello in the lobby. I can now say that “I survived the Blizzard of 2013”.

Room Tip: stay as high as possible-15th floor was good
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It is through such feedback that we are able to continually improve our property to meet and exceed the needs of our guests. I am very happy to see you had a great stay with us and that you survived the Blizzard of 2013. Exceptional Guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. We look forward to welcoming you back to Boston in the near future.
New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

In summary - this place is a waste of money:
1) upon arrival, the butler just looked at us while he was overlooking the snow following. At no point he felt it was appropriate to take our luggage from the car nor bring it into the hotel. He kept his hands in his pockets and didn't even welcome us on Friday Feb 8 4.30pm.

2) the front desk pretended to upgrade us to a better room... It was actually the room we booked!!! Not sure where was the upgrade...

3) room service finishes at 12am... Wrong hotel to stay if you need night food

4) no mini bar. The fridge don't even work. Upon request to fill in the fridge, the answer was just: NO

5) the gym and the pool are great. The facilities are above average and definitly worth checking. BUT don't do anything that is a little different (and not listed on the rule to use the place), security showed up is less than 6 minutes.

6) our room just smells like smoke / marijuana

7) upon asking the front desk or the concierge to get to the Lenox which a staple in Boston, they were unable to provide adequate information. When one agent was able to indicate us the road, it turned up to be incorrect.

8) the diamond lounge has no window. This is a first! It make this place very awkward. Also, napinks seem to be too expensive to be available.

9) probably due to the weather, most TV channel were not available. Despite reaching out to the reception several times, it wasn't resolved.

10) you have the choice of cold and quier sleep or noisy and warm. Tough call but not rest full.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank DamienBE
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I'm very sorry that had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to Boston I do hope that you will be our guest again – thank you for your review.