“Location location location”

Hilton Boston Back Bay
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Provides a great starting point to exploring Boston. You can reach many of the key sites and destinations from here easily, and there are plenty of dining options nearby for most any budget. The room we had was very comfortable with rather new amenities. We availed of the complimentary HHonors breakfast, which was a bit lacking as compared to others, so this was the only part I would rank as slightly below average. If you are parking overnight, there is a third-party lot across the street to save yourself enough to buy a drink.

Room Tip: If possible, get a west-facing room since they seem to have a better view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WhiteCollarNomad44
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that our Team Members took such good care of you and you found the amenities of our property to your liking. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,952)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference and chose it over other suggested hotels because we are HHonors members. The hotel is in an excellent location, just across the street from a large indoor mall with lots of affordable restaurants and upscale shopping. Despite the excellent location, there were a few issues that will prevent me from trying it again if I return to Boston.

1. There is no airport shuttle (many other hotels DO have a shuttle). A taxi ride is anywhere from $25-$40. I was charged an airport fee on both rides, but they were different ??? No one helped me with my luggage, so I am wondering what this fee is ??? I would suggest asking someone at the hotel about cab fares and transportation options before your travel plans.

2. You can't adjust the thermostat in your own room or turn on the fan. I often turn on the fan in a hotel room just to alleviate all of the "noises" that you experience in a shared space. I also felt the space was very stuffy. I asked at the front desk about this and they told me to open my window. It was 9 degrees outside. Hmmmmmm

3. There isn't a fan in the bathroom either to drown out any noise.

4. The hotel is a triangular shape and there are 3 elevators that go up and down in the middle of the triangle. Although the rooms do not share a wall with the elevator shaft, you can hear them going up and down ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT. It's kinda like the swooshing sound of waves at the beach, but instead of being calming it is just annoying.

5. I could hear people talking, going to the bathroom, turning on faucets, falling, etc. through the ceiling.

6. I am almost 100% sure that I got slight food poisoning at the restaurant. The first night I arrived I was exhausted from travel, so I just ordered from the hotel restaurant. I ate, went to bed, and then woke up a couple of hours later terribly ill. I have only ever experienced this in cases of food poisoning. I had no symptoms to indicate that it was a virus.

There were some bright spots:
1. The HHonors diamond lounge was always fully stocked and breakfast was good with sufficient choices.

2. The lobby has a coffee bar and business center for all hotel guests.

3. Again, the location is superb.

4. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The maid service was very attentive, leaving fresh towels, water bottles, and making the bed each day.

5. Beds are cozy with plenty of pillows.

I clearly was not able to be comfortable during my stay and had issues with how noisy the environment was in general in my hotel room. I have small children, so I feel like I am pretty flexible and can tolerate noisy environments. This hotel just didn't do it for me so I would try another hotel in the same location next time (the Westin and Sheraton are connected to the indoor mall, Hilton is just across the street from the Sheraton entrance). I am giving this an average rating because of the location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank frugalbutfab
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your detailed feedback via TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear you were unable to fully enjoy your stay with us due to noise from our elevators and neighboring guests as we know how important a good night's rest is while traveling. We will look into additional measures such as insulation or providing ear plugs, that we may be able to take to alleviate this issue moving forward. We appreciate your input as a frequent traveler and valued HHonors member and we will keep your suggestion to install ceiling fans in mind as we look ahead to future improvements. We hate to hear of any guest being ill while staying with us and apologize if it was a result of something you ate with us. Please feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further. We are glad we were able to meet your needs and that you found our location convenient for your activities in Boston. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and stay you deserve, the next time you visit the area.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Due to a good deal we got on this hotel we opted for an upgrade to a room with a panoramic view. It was amazing!

The hotel itself was everything you would expect from a Hilton and the room was the same. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The location was good jut a few minutes from the prudential center and the train to other parts of Bostons. There are also a selection of good resturants nearby for the evening.

HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Having previously stayed at this hotel I knew that the rooms were nice, staff friendly and that it was excellently located for exploring Boston. It therefore seemed a sensible choice to stay over Christmas.

We should have known something was wrong when the hotel was unable to confirm its Christmas Day dining arrangements and menu until the second week in December. Nevertheless we booked as a party of six.

Not a Christmas table decoration in sight, no crackers or festive music. All of which would have been tolerated had the food been to its usual standard. The food was poor; roast potatoes raw, meat overcooked and other items burned.

In fairness to the one waitress working she tried hard and her customer service was good. She was let down by the lack of organisation and poor standard of cooking.

As somebody who spends Christmas away from home I have spent this period in many countries and in numerous hotel chains over the years. I can honestly say this was the worst Christmas Day ever and one that has put me off this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank SLS68

Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor Christmas experience you had with us. We strive to make every guests stay a positive one and we are sorry that our lack of festive atmosphere detracted from your enjoyment. We have shared your comments on the quality of your dining experience with our culinary team who will work to prevent similar issues moving forward. We are glad to hear our wait staff was friendly and courteous and we will be sure to pass your kind words along. Again, we apologize for not meeting your holiday expectations and we hope you will consider giving us another chance to show you the quality service and accommodations you expect the next time you visit Boston.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We travel to Boston frequently and have stayed in many hotels and always like staying at the Hilton Back Bay. The staff is always friendly and the hotel is in a good location to tour the city. They also have a self park garage which is attached to the hotel. We also like going to St. Cecilia's Catholic church which is located next to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob F
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thanks for the comments and hope to see you return soon to the Hilton Boston Back Bay!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The location was the perfect place for a weekend stay in Boston. We attended a concert at Symphony Hall, which is just a short walk away. We took advantage of a special they had during the holidays. The hotel staff was very welcoming, and efficient. We found the curtain broken and hanging when we checked in but within minutes we received a call to ask if we needed anything. I mentioned the curtain and 5 minutes someone was up to fix it. Our room was very comfortable, with lots of little extra's-a night light in the bathroom, a robe, bottled water, and a refrigerator, just to mention a few. The hotel seemed busy, a couple of times the elevator was full and we had to take the next car, but it was quiet in the room. We had a restful relaxing stay. We stayed in the "panoramic room" in the front of the hotel. The only complaint I have is that room is a bit of an odd shape which it left no room for an upholstered chair or couch. The desk chair was the only place to sit besides the bed.

We had the buffet breakfast Sunday morning, it was excellent with lots of choices. The pastries were fresh, try the brioche bread. They make omlets to order by asking the waiter. The wait staff was very pleasant and helpful.

The hotel is a block away from the Prudential Center shopping. There are many restaurants within walking distance. The Christian Science Center is across the street. The hotel has an attached parking garage $41.00 per night. We could have stayed there till 7pm the day we checked out for no additional charge.

Room Tip: The view from the lower floors is of other buildings.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I must say that this stay was by far my best experience in any hotel! As soon as I walked in an experienced young lady named Amera greeted me with a warm smile and helped me with my bags. Check in went quick as she was also very kind (didn’t catch her name) I got a follow up phone call where I informed them that I wasn’t feeling well. Amera then proceeded bring me up some tea and Dayquil. That alone blew me away but the following day she approached me in the breakfast area and asked how I was feeling as well as every day following. Even knew my name! Now I may be bias (being that she was from Colorado too) but I felt like I was home and she made me feel welcome in everyway! I will come back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kelly F
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let Amera know that she helped you have a great stay with us. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we look forward to your next visit to Boston!