“Traditional elegance in the heart of Boston” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eliot Hotel

Eliot Hotel
Ranked #10 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Old Chatham
“Traditional elegance in the heart of Boston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have stayed at the Eliot over the years several times, the most recent of which is January 2014. When we stay here, it is like coming to the home of an old friend. The Eliot reminds us of a small, European hotel. It is a unique combination of modern conveniences with old fashion charm. How many hotels still have actual keys on brass key chains with the number on the brass plate. The suites, which we prefer are tastefully decorated and the living area is separated from the sleeping area by glass doors covered by translucent fabric. Because one of us is an early riser and the other likes to sleep, this provided perfect separation. The rooms are comfortable and quiet despite. The staff is uniformly gracious and friendly and you don't get the feeling that anyone expects a tip to provide extra service.
Several other benefits: the location on Commonwealth Avenue allows one to stroll through the historic Commonwealth Park, an elegant strip of grass, trees and benches that is flanked on either side by some of the best historic houses in the city. Also there are some great running routes directly from the hotel which the hotel is thoughtful enough to lay out on a map. Last, but certainly not least is the fact that the hotel accepts dogs, something our two well behaved Westies appreciate. We take extra care to make sure that when we leave the room no one would even know that dogs had been there. The hotel certainly doesn't have to do this, and we recognize and appreciate the fact that they do.
The Eliot is quintessential old Boston and more like coming to the home of an old friend than to a hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a suite if your budget allows.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I drove my daughter back to college at The Boston Conservatory and was looking for a new place to stay. We have stayed at a number of the hotels in the Back Bay- Prudential Center area and the Eliot was a great new experience. I made a last minute reservation and I arrived quite late. Shane at the front desk couldn't have been more accommodating, I think he checked me in and took care of my car in about 4 minutes. I was upgraded to a gorgeous King Suite on the 9th floor that was beautifully appointed and squeaky clean. I booked a 'Winter Special' so continental breakfast at Clio ( with those delicious croissants and fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and home baked goodies) was included. I was pleasantly surprised to find my car waiting for me when I checked out ( they had asked me at check-in what time I'd be needing it). My daughter is just a freshman so I am looking forward to many return trips to the Eliot, what a pleasure experience such a high level of service!

Room Tip: I had a high room and didn't hear any early morning Boston traffic.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
boston, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Eliot is one of those classic hotels that you can't help but love. I had a King Suite and it was huge, with a large living room / office with french doors closing off the bedroom / bath area. I had assumed that the rooms would be small, and was pleasantly surprised at the size. The bathroom was averagely sized but nicely appointed with a cool and odd half glass wall partition shower.

Dining options are obviously immense, being in the Back Bay. Right downstairs in the hotel are Clio and Uni, which are both Ken Oringer restaurants and some of the best dining in Boston. Clio's bar is legendary, and if you're a sashimi fan (no maki rolls or sushi), you must eat at Uni. It's amazing.

Service at the hotel was great. Always somebody there to open the door, call a cab, valet your car, stash your keys, get the elevator. Just old school service and vibe.

Would most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank madvibes
Lake Placid, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Eliot Hotel takes the concerns of their hotel guests very seriously and aims to please every time I have visited there. On a recent stay I ordered room service as I was not feeling well. My tea came with ample lemon and honey and all of the employees wished me well when they saw me the next morning. I am impressed by their warmth and friendliness, efficiency, cleanliness and superb location.

Room Tip: The higher floors have less road noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Skimaster1
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked three rooms for three nights over New Year's Eve. Because this is not a brand new hotel the rooms are not a standard plan or size, as a result one suite was quite large, one medium and one quite a bit smaller with a double bed as opposed to a king. When we pointed this out to the front desk, we were given a larger room. No problem, no hassle. The bed was very comfortable and the shower has decent water pressure. The location is great for shopping and not that far from the Common. Breakfast was not included but available at Clio and offered a good selection to choose from. We had dinner at Uni. It was fantastic. Expensive, but fantastic. We asked to sit at the sushi bar so we were able to watch Chef create. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Plus points: a very good rate for a small suite plus breakfast (perhaps that should have alarmed me?); good location near Newbury Street.
Minus: without a doubt the worst service I've had at a hotel in a while. After a long flight, booked room service - it didn't arrive after 45 minutes so I called to cancel. No answer; left it ring for 10 minutes; no answer. Called the front desk to get them to cancel; polite apology; accept busy times means small hotels can't cope. Then ten minutes later a waiter arrives at my door with the order and is the most surly, ignorant one I've come across in a very long time. Go to bed hungry. Told reception in morning before I left.
We all make mistakes. The mark of a good hotel is how they are dealt with. Avoid.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I regret that this guest was unable to realize the high level of service the Eliot Hotel is committed to providing and wish I could apologize, but the factual information is a bit different from what I am certain this guest truthfully believes. It is true our internationally recognized Restaurant, Clio, was dealing with an unexpected shortage of staffing due to an emergency and the guest was quoted, therefore, a 45 minute estimate for room service delivery. The records indicate that the time from when the guest order was received to the time the order was attempted to be delivered was 46 minutes. The guest, however, called after 35 minutes to complain about a delay and to cancel the order, but before the request could be processed, the order was delivered.

The room service waiter, a true professional who has had the pleasure of serving our guests for over 16 years was reprimanded by this guest. The server's arms becoming heavy with the order simply inquired if the guest did or did not want the order, as it was not clear to him based on the manner in which the guest was speaking to him. The guest, in frustration, then called reception. I personally answered the call and the guest proceeded to condemn the room service and the rudeness of the waiter. As I began offering assistance, the guest found it necessary to hang up the phone.

While we can certainly appreciate subjective experiences inform the impression of one's stay, I must say the interaction is entirely different from the polite type of interactions we cultivate and have with our typical guests. I hope the frustration this guest experienced, regardless of origin, has abated and I invite this guest to provide us with another opportunity to return. If so, I will ensure his experience will be commensurate with both of our expectations.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Eliot Hotel for Christmas 2012 and it was very good but we suggested coffee machines in the suites and wi fi would make it excellent.

We have just returned to England after spending Christmas 2013 at the Eliot and not only were there coffee machines in the suites, there was also wi fi and this year continental breakfast was available in the restaurant.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was beautiful, cosy and extremely comfortable. The staff were courteous and helpful. The heating was extremely noisy which meant we had to switch it off before we could sleep but everything else about the hotel is perfect and we can't wait to cross the Atlantic again to stay at what has become our favourite hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise and switch the heating off when you want to sleep
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family