“Fantastic suite in Boston” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eliot Hotel

Eliot Hotel
Ranked #10 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Fantastic suite in Boston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Beautifully appointed suites in a good location in Boston. We are a family of 4 (2 older teenagers) staying for 6 nights. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite (2 double beds in the bedroom with French doors into the living area where there was a large, comfortable bed settee). We also had a separate area with sink & mini bar. The hotel also provided a fridge, microwave & coffee maker (including coffee). The reception and housekeeping staff were very helpful & friendly ( in fact I would say they were exceptional - eg my daughters iPhone & my blackberry had low battery & our chargers were packed in our cases as we were leaving so the very helpful man on reception found suitable chargers and recharged our phones for us). I would recommend this hotel particularly if you need extra space.

1 Thank jmhols

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August. We chose the Eliot because of its proximity to Fenway Park and Newbury Street and the 2 bedroom suite. There aren't many reasonably priced choices for a family of 6. I agree the lobby is small and cramped and can result in a wait a times, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel restaurant.

1 Thank MikeN_Omaha
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife,10 year old daughter and I stayed in a one bedroom suite for a night before heading up to New Hampshire. The hotel is beautiful, with classic old world charm. The suite was well appointed and very comfortable. The location is fantastic, only steps away from Newbury and Boyleston Streets. The T is right there as well!

The only complaint I have was also echoed by some other reviewers; that some of the staff cannot commicate well. One very nice woman at the desk had to ask another staff member how to get to Faneuil Hall via the T. GIven that Faneuil Hall is a top tourist destination, she should have known this. She also gave us misguided directions to the highway we needed to get on when we were leaving. The rest of the staff was very attentive and could not be more helpful!

I would stay here again, just for the atmosphere and location

1 Thank MBKtraveler
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Ok, so I have actually stayed at this hotel 5 times myself, and also recommend it to business clients that come into the city. I have developed a relationship with the staff, and I must say - I have never experienced in my lengthy business career a hotel staff that will go through such lengths to make sure the guests has a great experience. I also read some of the previous recent negative reviews, and honestly, these people must not have stayed at the same hotel as I did. I experienced such great service, and positive energy and helpfulness by the staff. The rooms are very nice and spacious, I have only stayed in the suites, which is most of the hotel. Anyway, this hotel is great and it is a break from the big chains and offers great service and a friendly staff that honestly keeps me coming back. Don't let the negative Nancy's here fool you, they must want to keep people away from the hidden gem in Bostons Back Bay that they discovered to themselves.

Room Tip: Be friendly!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BostonGuy445
usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Wow. This was a HUGE disappointment. I simply do not comprehend how this hotel can receive some of the attention it has. I can only guess that it's all in a room. I booked 1 night at this hotel and was incredibly excited to experience something more upscale than what I'm typically used to. The lobby made a good first impression until my eyes focused and I realized how incredibly tiny it was. The reception desk is down a few steps near the elevators. Therefore, if there is any kind of line (which there was), it's insanely cramped. It's very awkward to maneuver in/out of the elevator, etc. But seeing as how what really matters is the room, I was still hopeful. Good grief. I felt like I was in a dark cave. It was by far, the smallest room I have ever stayed in. And given the price of the room, I found this to be shocking. The comments other travelers have made about the decor being "tired", etc are spot on. At least as far as my room goes. If I could remember the room number I would forewarn you - because again - maybe the room I had is not indicative of the rooms in general. There was a sliver of a window that looked upon a dirty alley. The outside window pane was cracked. The room had a disctinctively musty smell. And did I mention the lack of light? You HAVE to have a room light on to move around at all. It's THAT dark. Unfortunately they were booked and I was unable to experience a different room. I don't think I was being unrealistic. I feel I set my expectations accordingly. I would have tolerated all of the above for a cheaper and/or a fewer stars hotel, but this was totally unacceptable. I cannot believe the hotel gets away with this. When even 1 room is so insanely different from what is advertised it's simply unfair to charge as much as they do. And I don't mean the online photos, but also the room descriptions - "spacious accomodations"...are you kidding me? "A Touch Of Paris In Boston"...please...I've been to Paris. I can only assume they're referring to any other Paris than the one in France. I will never ever return. With so many more wonderful options out there, there's not reason to go back.

Room Tip: ASK questions...size? view? light??
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NETravler
North Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a great hotel especially if going to Fenway Park. It is a bit on the expensive side but the quality of the rooms is excellent. You can walk to Fenway and great shopping is a few blocks away. Boston is a great city and the Eliot is a great hotel.

Room Tip: Close to Fenway Park
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MrTEastlake
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I agree with some of the previous reviews that I find it hard to believe this hotel is rated so high. The lobby and elevators are VERY small and you have to use the bellman because there are stairs leading to the front door and front desk so if you have a heavy suitcase, it makes it difficult. Valet parking was inadequate as you're on a main road in Boston and just have to pull off to the side of the road. No one spoke very good English as mentioned in a previous review but I can live with that. Our view from the room was horrible but it is in an excellent location...1 block from Newberry Street. I did think the beds were wonderful and agree that the bathroom is rather small with no areas for actually unpacking your toiletries. The service in the restaurant the next morning was probably some of the worst service I've ever received and they weren't even busy. Coffee was never refilled. Had a complimentary continental breakfast which was nothing but a basked of breads of which they only had 1 croissant left so my friend and myself had to split that. I've stayed at The Lenox and would definitely recommend it over this hotel. I would not stay here again. Go with a Hilton or Marriott before you stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Based on this guest’s review, it becomes evident that she was not fully aware of the type of property she was reserving. This is regrettable, because expectations that are not realized can obviously lead to disappointment. The Eliot Hotel is a historic property built in 1925 and located in Boston’s elegant Back Bay neighborhood, designed during the Victorian era of the mid to late 1800’s. The beautiful French Second Empire styled architecture of the neighborhood complements the Neo-Georgian designed Eliot Hotel. Needless to say, buildings that are between 80 to 160 years old are substantially different than contemporary structures.

The hotel’s original elevators are small indeed, but nevertheless functional and something the vast majority of our guests find charming and endearing. The hotel’s beautiful front portico does have a set of steps flanked by topiaries and there are stairs that guide you from our elegant upper lobby to the old world styled front desk where individualized service greets you. The majority of our guests arrive with the expectation that, as in any four-diamond property, they will be assisted with luggage by our bell-staff, rendering the stairs a non-issue. To the contrary, these elements are considered something positive that differentiate our hotel from others and contribute to our distinctiveness.

Lastly, parking is certainly adequate. The hotel provides valet service right from the front of the hotel. Being in a historic district, in an almost 400 year old city, there are obviously going to be differences from what might be expected in more contemporary locations of the United States.

Additionally, this guest states: “No one spoke very good English.” The fact is that our very diverse international staff speaks English very well. It is imperative for us to have staff that can communicate effectively in order to deliver the high level of service we are committed to providing. It is true that some of our staff speak in foreign accents, but how is this relevant to providing proactive and welcoming service?

On a final note, I regret that breakfast service was flawed. We are reviewing the facts and wish to assure the Tripadvisor readership that we will make any necessary changes to ensure that our breakfast service remains favorable.