“Great hotel for girls' getaway”
Review of Eliot Hotel

Eliot Hotel
Ranked #9 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Boston area
“Great hotel for girls' getaway”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We just spent a great weekend at this hotel. 5 women shared a 2 bedroom suite comfortably (especially for the small amount of time spent in room). We had a room with 2 double beds, a room with a queen bed and a living room with a pull-out couch - I slept on that and it wasn't bad at all. The location was great! I was concerned we would be too close to Kenmore Square, but we definitely still felt like we were in the Back Bay. We walked to the MFA, and spent a lot of time wandering around Newbury Street. Beacon Hill was also walkable. The rooms were nicer than I expected, and staff was helpful. Valet parking was pricey ($36 per 24 hours), but we knew that going in.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My husband and I joined another couple for a weekend in Boston. We found the Eliot to be perfect. We particularly enjoyed the sitting rooms, which allowed us to watch a "big" football game, read the paper, drink coffee and share good company when we were not seeing the sights. We also enjoyed the interior design and the helpfulness of the staff. We would happily return to the Eliot.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lyn B
Stockholm
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We needed to be in Back Bay for a week in July, and got a good deal at The Eliot Hotel. We managed to score a "suite", which was a bedroom, bathroom, kitchenette like thingy and a sitting room with pull-out couch. Flat TVs in both rooms, wireless internet (for a fee). The bathroom was tiny, no room for a toilet kit anywhere (let alone stuff for 3 people!).

The fridge wasn't cold enough to chill a couple beers. On the other hand, Boston was suffering through a massive heat wave with temps above 100. Still, we really would have liked a cold brew after the afternoon walk!

Speaking of the heat, the A/C was very very noisy. Perhaps it was just his particular room, but we had to have the fan on the lowest speed to make it manageable.

In general, the standard was, well, old fashion. For example, there were very few electrical outlets, so charging a camera, a laptop and a couple cell phones was a logistical problem.

Also, steer clear of the $30 per person breakfast buffet. Truly underwhelming. We demanded a refund after the first morning, and ate at a Greek diner around the corner on Newbury Street for the rest of the week.

Room Tip: Ask about a room with quite A/C if you are staying in the summer. Check the fridge temp directly to...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This hotel is in a wonderful location: Near the T, shopping, coffee shops, restaurants. It's also in a beautiful area - good for walking, etc..The staff was very nice, the rooms clean and above average.
I would stay here again. I just had two complaints, one major and one minor. The minor one was that we had no full length mirror anywhere in the room (also no coffee), the major complaint was that even though there were two restaurants in the hotel, they were only available during certain hours. In other words, during our stay, the weather became cold and very rainy. Since we didn't feel like braving the elements, we thought it'd be nice to go down and have a cup of tea or coffee or a glass of wine. No luck. They were not open. It's best to check their hours I guess. In my opinion, in a hotel as nice as this - at least a coffee or a drink should be available anytime. (other than room service) We ended up settling for room service, stuck back in our room, and received only one cup and the coffee was luke warm.
I would recommend this hotel - just be prepared to walk to a coffee shop if you're an early riser!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lilybelle344
Prague
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I would like to start saying that I find quite surprising some of the negative comments about this magnificent hotel. I have worked in many hotels around the world during the years and I can honestly say that this is one of the best I have ever experienced both from a professional and from a guest point of view. I will not go into detail regarding the positives of the Eliot Hotel and I would just recommend everyone to stay here if they are looking for a hotel that doesnt feel like the typical impersonal chain hotel.
Thumbs up for the management.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Renton, Washington
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel was great. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the staff was friendly. We had no problems whatsoever. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
West Yarmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed here last winter, late for a review but I had to add this. This is my favorite hotel in Boston, and I have only been there once. I have stayed at a lot of hotels in Boston but none seem to compare to the great old world charm and fancy decor that this gem has. There were nice amenities in the room. The bed was plush and comfortable. Service was great we had booked our room on price line and got a great price, the first room we went to had two double beds, so they made a quick easy switch for us to a very nice king sweet. However since this change was made I was charged a extra night fee to my credit card that I could not get taken off. This was a mistake by the hotel, I think because of the change of rooms. Even though I had to pay double I still love the hotel and am sure that next time I will make sure that dose not happen again. I was so impressed by the place that I, who is all about getting the best price on anything, didn't mind paying the extra charge. This is a very rare thing for me too say. I say stay here you wont regret it just watch your charges. By the way Clio the resturant in the hotel is one of the best places you can go to eat in Boston, 5 star top notch food.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple