“Horrible Stay for the Fourth of July”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge
Ranked #44 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I have e-mailed the manager of this Doubletree and Hilton Customer Service and received no reply.

My family and I have been staying at the Doubletree for many years whenever we go to Boston. Frustrations/annoyances have been minimal. Our stay on July 4 came close to erasing the good experiences.

When I came to check in, the young woman said ,”Oh, you’re already checked in.” I asked her how that could be, since we just got there. She answered that it was “probably some sort of Hilton Honors thing.” I was not asked for a photo id or my charge card. That seemed very odd to me. During my whole stay I never signed anything other than the restaurant tab. I was given keys to room on the eighth floor, so we went up there only to find people already in the room. So I went back downstairs to the desk. The staffer who gave me keys to another room didn’t seem to understand why I was upset and insisting that he make sure that I was only being billed for one room. I was also upset because I had made a reservation for a high corner room with a river view so we could see the aerial display for the fireworks. The desk clerk told me that you can't see the fireworks from the Doubletree. A lie -- since we watched them from our room last year. At no point did he take any responsibility for the error. I asked for breakfast coupons and he gave them to me for breakfast the next day. We were assigned another, which was hot. In fact, it kept getting hotter. We called the desk who sent maintenance who worked on the air conditioner for a little while and things seemed to get better. When we came back from Fenway that night, the room was very hot and the sofa bed didn’t want to work, so we called downstairs and maintenance came up again. The room never got below 80 degrees that night. In the morning before we left for an afternoon game, I went to the desk to complain again. When we came back from the game, the room was slightly cooler. As the evening wore on, the temperature crept up above 80 degrees. So I went downstairs again. This time I spoke with the night manager who was genuinely concerned and who cut the price of our stay in half and offered me a free night if I could stay on. He also sent up fans which made that night more bearable. He had the only positive customer service attitude that I encountered among the desk staff.

Having said all this, I would rather have paid the full price and gotten the room I had reserved. I had been looking forward to this weekend ever since 2009 when we spent the Fourth of July in your hotel, and the desk staff at check in came close to ruining it for me.
Also – we never received any cookies.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank goodrzy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed July 4th weekend to attend a Red Sox game. The hotel was very nice and the little bar/restaurant was very nice. We had a quick lunch and a couple of drinks there and enjoyed it. Our room was clean (although there was a stain on the carpet) and very roomy. Perfect to spread out and relax. The bed was so comfortable you melted right into it. It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave so you could birng your own snacks and drinks to have in the hotel. Our room was on a corner overlooking the Charles River so it was very nice to look out the large windows and watch the world go by.
Keep in mind the hotel is not really near anything, so a car is a must. But with the easy parking in the garage, it really wasn't a problem.
We did have the brunch on Sunday in the larger restaurant. The food was very good, but the set up was a bit strange. The people waiting in line for the special order items were right in front of the items for the ready made buffet. The staff was refilling the buffet items and the customers could not access the other food items because the staff was in the way. Not very conducive to getting everybody in and out of line quickly.
All in all, it was a good place to stay for the price. I would return again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We were looking for the ideal hotel to stay for our visit to the Science Museum. The DoubleTree on Soldiers Field Rd is PERFECT. There is a multi-level self-park garage on the hotel property. You pay a flat rate ($30.00/day) and just swipe your room card to come and go as often as you please. It was 3-minutes, straight down Memorial Dr and
into Museum Garage. Also, the hotel is located practically ON the Mass Turnpike, and
minutes from other highways. We ate in Hotel Restaurant (Green Terrace?) for breakfast
and dinner. The meals were superb and reasonably priced. The rooms were fresh and
modern decor. The staff was as accomodating as you'd expect at The Ritz.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The hotel claimed to be minutes from MIT but this was true only if you had your own car. They have a shuttle but it goes to Harvard square and nor MIT. The hotel is inconveniently located. You are totally dependent on their shuttle if you want to explore Boston & Cambridge unless you have a car (parking charges at the hotel & in Boston are steep) or want to take a taxi. The rooms were good, but they charge for internet. They do have free internet in the lobby on their computers. Breakfast was good and HHonors members get a discount!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Overall this hotel was okay. The positives: close to the Harvard campus; roomy suite, clean bathroom, good housekeeping service; free coffee and bottled water in the room; comfortable bed; a free shuttle service to Boston's Copley Square area, the Harvard Square and aquarium.

What could be improved: The check-in service was average but not particularly friendly and the much advertised free cookies were not offered to us. The comfortable bed and what would have been six nights of good rest was abruptly marred late one evening by loud screaming and noise in the corridors - the result of people partying and running around the floors at 2 am. We had to call the front desk to complain. We had an upgrade for a free breakfast each morning which was a nice perk but the breakfast offered the same array of foods each day and the dining room staff (with the exceptiuon of one Latino lady) were not friendly. The other troubling incident was a bout of bad bug bites. On our check out day we mentioned the bug bites and were enthusiastically assured by the young receptionist at the front desk that a manager would definitely be calling us. It's been two days and we're still waiting.

Although the hotel was conveniently located close to campus, crossing the streets each day to get to campus involved dodging traffic and fearing for your life. Cars drive very fast and don't slow down for pedestrians. The hotel should perhaps inquire about installing speed bumps on the road that runs outside the hotel and having signs posted asking drivers to slow down.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank sekaitrips
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I stayed at the DoubleTree for a seminar I was taking at the Harvard Business School as it was the recommended hotel. The service was great, everyone was very helpful and friendly, from the main desk to the cleaning staff; however, the restaurant staff could use some work on their promptness.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Well , I've only stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, and what I've noticed when arriving was that the front desk crew was sympathetic and i've enjoyed their "cookie offering", my first impression was of a big, and confortable hotel, elegant, and possessing the basics for a confortable stay. I've reserved a standard-king-size bedroom, and they gave me one with 2 big windows and a great Charles River view, on the 10th floor; the room and bathroom were spacious, elegant and clean, it had a big plasma tv on the front of the bed; the bed was super confortable and I had 3 great nights of recovering sleep , after my walkings during the day. They have great and varied options in the room service's menu. What i've ordered was very good both in quality and quantity. After you eat you can call someone or leave it outside next to the door, well i've found that practical, but odd, the problem was that after dinning and waking up at 10.00p.m, the tray was still there...another thing was that I've asked the front desk for tooth paste and a deodorant and had to call 3 times before it was delivered to me. Breakfast had a good variation, you could choose betw. buffet or menu, and the inner-pool on the groundfloor was great, it has 2 parts , one of them, the smaller, is hotter and is more like a whirlpool. I wouldn't say the location is great but for my purposes it was fine, cause i really wanted to walk and being really near the river , i just had to cross the bridge and walk 15-20 min to Central Square or Harvard Square and 25 to Fenway Park on the same hotel's side. I had to leave my baggage for a while after check-out, and could leave it there for as long as i wanted, during this period i used their confortable internet room with over 5 or 6 PCs. I must say it was a nice hotel and i've enjoyed my stay. Antonio - Brazil.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dolphin221
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Downtown
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Downtown
Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
East Boston / Logan Airport
Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#17 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge? Share your experiences!