“Lovely hotel”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge
Ranked #45 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed June 13, 2010

This hotel was beautiful. The lobby was elegant, there was a nice bar/restaurant in the hotel, and the room was great, overlooking the river. Plenty spacious. The bedroom was separated by the living room through a hallway.

Location is not great. It costs $30.00 to park, and then more for the taxi. I suppose that's to be expected in Boston though.

Warning: there is no free internet and no free breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,881)

Reviewed April 24, 2010

As Marketing Manager for a major corporation, I cover the New England territory and stay frequently in local Boston area Hilton hotels. I stayed at the Doubletree Boston in early April 2010 for business reasons - this was my first stay at this particular location. From the moment I entered the lobby and went to the front desk, I experienced the BEST (and I mean BEST) customer service that I have experienced in a long time. The front desk personnel were helpful and friendly, and went out of their way to make me feel welcome. Knowing that my family and I were planning to come back for a few days in late April to college hunt as we live in a nearby state, I cancelled reservations at a competitors hotel, and booked again at this location for a stay from April 22nd - 24th. Once again, the customer service was AMAZING!. Now, for the important part....the room was clean (not exceptional - could have been a bit better), however, it was cozy, the view was incredible, the beds were super comfortable, and everyone who helped us was AWESOME. DJ at the front desk - *****, Frederick the Concierge, *****, Delmy, Housekeeping,*****, Ty - Engineering/Maintenance, *****. This hotel is doing something very right and I applaud the General Manager of this property for giving some leeway to the staff to offer the little extras that make the guest feel important and welcome. In a day and age where we have too many choices, I can assure you, this location will be my first choice for both business and personal travel to Boston. Lastly, the breakfast buffet was excellent, and the shuttle to Boston was super convenient. I hope that the staff at this hotel continues to treat guests in the same manner, as this is noticed, and so important more than ever today!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank BostonFan_10
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Four of us stayed here for the Boston Marathon weekend. The hotel was nice, parking in a garage which was nice, and the rooms were quite roomy and comfortable. The only drawback is the location. It is right off of I-90 and Storrow Drive, so, it's good if you're driving everywhere, but the T station is a bit of a walk (about a mile). The shuttle is nice, but often not enough room for everyone, and is limited on Sundays. (last shuttle return is at 4pm) Since everything we wanted to do was near Copley Square, Boston Common, or the North End, we took a lot of cabs. A cab ride from Copley to the hotel was anywhere from $14 - $20 depending on traffic. I have to say however, that we were there on a very busy weekend. Harvard Square and Central Square were somewhat close (if you're driving), so we ate there a few times. Cool shops and restaurants.
The concierge at the hotel was SUPER nice, and actually all of the staff were very friendly.
As for Marathon Day, the hotel had shuttles for the runners to Boson Common quite early, and was no problem. Also shuttles all day back and forth for the rest to Copley Square and back. It was a good set up.
We ate at least one breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel. All were good, and the service was good, but it is rather expensive. The bar/lounge area is comfortable, and the hot tub/pool area was great.
Would i stay here again? Yes, if i'm driving around siteseeing around the Boston area. No, if I'm planning on doing things in town. Too many other hotels are nearer to the T, or within walking distance of the major areas in town.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank hmcrn2
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Good, clean hotel. Not all rooms are suites, as we thought - our room was a bit small but fine for two people. If you are looking for a suite, make sure you reserve such. The shuttle helps to get around to popular attractions, but there is also a T stop about a 10 minute walk away. The hotel is next to the Charles - excellent biking path nearby. The pool is nice and clean, the gym is much above average for hotel facilities. The bar closes early however - and being far away from other hotels/ restaurants/ bars, make sure to find another place to get your last drink of the night.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I booked this hotel because it was the least expensive choice for a convention I was attending at the BCEC (Boston Convention & Exhibition Center). It was still relatively expensive to me ($167/night) but that's probably not too bad for a major city. The room was fine, the staff quite nice and helpful. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant my first night there ($22 for Chicken Marsala) and it was very good. I was shocked to find that in the morning all they had was a breakfast buffet for $19.95. There weren't many choices--it was the same stuff you get for free at many hotels: scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, juice. I felt ripped off because I had no other options for breakfast. The real problem with this hotel is its location. There are no other restaurants within walking distance except one run-down pizza place. So you better find yourself some food before you come back to the hotel. And buy something you can heat up in the microwave for breakfast or you'll spend a fortune in their restaurant. This place is far enough from the convention center that the convention organizers provided us with our own shuttle bus. The hotel decor is a bit long in the tooth, unless you're big on the 70's and love burnt orange and hunter green. They have some kind of jazz club that seemed pretty popular but was of no interest to me. One last thing: I left my warmed over breakfast container, brown bag and plastic fork on the table in the morning, figuring the maid would clear the mess away. It was all still there when I got back in the evening! Was the maid blind? I called the front desk and they sent her back up to the room. She didn't speak any English so I had to point and gesture to make her understand what the problem was. She didn't even apologize. I enjoyed my convention meeting but wouldn't stay at this hotel again. Oh, don't miss the photo I took of a curious warning sign outside the hotel: "Caution - trucks cut corner and jump curb." People told me that Boston drivers are really bad. I have never seen a sign like this anywhere else, not even New York!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I stayed only for one night with my 3 kids (11, 4 and 2), for a mini vacation, they enjoyed the hotel more than they enjoyed the museum of science and the zoo! Not only were the warm cookies awesome, but they could not get enough of the view from the 15th floor, and they especially LOVED the pool! The room itself was cozy, clean and did have it all, coffeemaker, good sized refrigerator and microwave. The bedroom being separated from the living room was nice so the kids could go to bed a little sooner than I did! As I said the view was fantastic! We had a full view of the river (at no additional charge) and the kids spend so much time in the windows!

If I had to make any complaints, my main one would be that early in the morning, about 6 or so, the kids in the next room could not have been louder! They must have slammed their door to the room about 15 times and were just ridiculously LOUD! That and the fact that the sofa bed was not the most comfortable thing in the world, but they never are. I am thankful it was there!

Overall, this was an excellent hotel in an excellent location. I will certainly be looking here first on my next trip to Boston or anywhere for that matter. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Upon arrival you are greeted with a warm smile and a huge, warm cookie (a great start to my mini vacation). The 1-bedroom suite had everything you would expect, equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, gormet coffee, 2 flat scree tvs. The bed and linen were perfect as I had no trouble relaxing in the evening. The cafe and main restuarant were expensive, but gave generous portions. The business office with the computers were convenient because I was able to print out my boarding pass and skip the line at the airport.
I didn't have a car, but the hotel has a shuttle that takes you to the popular areas around town. This was very convenient since this was my first time boston and didn't know my way around town. Overall, this is an excellent hotel with an amazing staff that works hard to meet your needs and expectations.
One Suggestion - an airport shuttle is needed. One Gripe - $5.50 for a small bottle of shaving creme is a bit extreme.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo