“Booked a suite - stuffed into a tiny room”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge
Ranked #47 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Los Angeles, California
“Booked a suite - stuffed into a tiny room”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Staying here now. Hilton HHonors Diamond member. Booked a "river view suite". Inquired about an upgrade at check in, was told flat out no. Got to room, it is NOT a suite. It is in fact, tiny and smells awful. Too late to complain, need to get sleep before work.
Was supposed to stay here 4 more nights this week, plus all next week. Will likely checkout and go elsewhere instead. Very disappointing to be treated so poorly when I have such brand loyalty.

2 Thank bdenhart
jdadiego, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your input on our room appointment and service and we are sorry to hear our location was not convenient for your activities in the city. We will share your comments with our team and hope you will return to stay with us again should business bring you closer to our area.

Joe Dadiego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the DoubleTree during snowstorm Nemo, when Boston got hit with over two feet of snow. I was very impressed by the friendliness and professionalism of the staff, many of whom were making great personal sacrifices by staying at the place they worked and working longer hours on a skeleton crew. The hotel was very organized and communicative about what services it could offer, and what contingencies were available should power go out (it never did).

Bear, Delaware
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for a quick overnight business trip, a few days after the big snow storm of the century. Because the hotel was totally booked, and there were no rooms on the upper floors, the manager Brian upgraded me to the Presedential Suite. I have been in many suites throughout the US, but this suite is by far the best! The size, the view, and the comfort of the bed. Not only was the room above my expectations, but the service I received from Brian,and all the other staff was exceptional.
Because I got to the hotel in the late evening, I was able to get a quick meal in the Fusion restaurant, which was still open. I ordered the Flatbread pizza. I have had many in my travels, and this was by far the most delicious! Arugual, Proscuitto, Baslamic......if you have a chance to get a meal while at the hotel, definitely try the Flatbread pizza.
I come to Boston every month. This was the 1st time I stayed at the Double Tree, but will not be my last. It will be my 1st choice with all my travels to the city.

2 Thank suetrio
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed in Boston while visiting my son at Boston University Law School. The hotel was convenient to campus. The staff was well informed, pleasant, and assisted with all my needs. Parking is on-site but does require an additional fee. I was traveling with my sister, we had a twin room with a full large living/dining room which we made use of when my son came to spend some time with us. I used the internet (complimentary) in the evening to catch up on some work. All in all a very pleasant stay and well worth the money. I will stay there again next year when I return for his graduation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth W
Denver
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Ok. Like an Embassy Suites without the free breakfast. Be prepared for the unnecessary $35 for parking. Good jazz club on premises. Location on the river with nice views. Very convenient to Cambridge/Harvard/MIT/BU. Good access to Mass Turnpike.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rpden
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Very friendly front desk staff, ask for Yesly Villafrance, Front Office Manager. She is great. Good bar service and food selection. Staff was friendly and helpful. Only minor issue was that I thought the whirpool needed cleaning (inside). The next day the whirlpool was emptied for cleaning. Not sure but maybe they were reading my mind?! Also wanted to note, hotel is in a good location. Whole Foods and Trader Joes right over the bridge. Close to Harvard and BU and right near Storrow Drive for easy access downtown. If we go to Boston again then we will stay there again.

Room Tip: We have two kids so we had a suite. Recommend getting a suite. It's the way to go
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank csmphilly
Merrick, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My friends and I chose to stay at this hotel since it was not far from Harvard and since I had enough Hilton points to get the room for free. As in all Doubletree hotels we were each welcomed to the hotel with a warm chocolate chip cookie. Staff were courteous and friendly. Our room had two twin beds in the bedroom and a double sleeper sofa in the living area. There was ample space in both rooms. Didn't feel cluttered even when the sleeper sofa was out. Twin mattresses were Sealy pousturepedic with a mattress pillow pad on top and were very comfortable to sleep on. In fact it was so comfortable that we decided to sleep in an skip the morning plans.

Self parking is on the expensive side at $35 per night with in/out privileges. But money saved by taking the hotel's complimentary shuttle service makes up for it. The hotel has shuttle stops at the aquarium, Copley square and Harvard Square (hourly from 7:30am-7:30pm). The shuttle ride to Harvard from the hotel only took 5 min.

The fitness room was very impressive. It was spacious and had a good variety of machines. It even had a shower and two bathrooms in it. Earbuds were also available for free since several of the machines had tv screens on them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank komodokd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#15 of 20 in Cambridge
Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
Downtown
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Downtown
Hotel Veritas
#5 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge? Share your experiences!