“Very Handy for Cambridge!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge
Ranked #48 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Very Handy for Cambridge!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had business in Boston but brought my 17-year old son along so we could check out some nearby colleges and just hang out together. The location for this hotel is a little strange: it’s sort of on a concrete island, surrounded by roads and railroad tracks. And, unfortunately, there is no T line subway stop nearby. Having said that, it’s an easy walk to Cambridge (about 20 minutes to Harvard Square) AND the hotel has a free shuttle that will drop you in Cambridge or at various downtown locations. My son and I like our space, so we wanted a suite and ours was quite roomy and nice. We were on the 15th floor, and the view out of the bedroom window towards downtown Boston was quite spectacular (great to see all the rowers on the Charles River directly below, too). Oh, and it was VERY quiet up there. The folks at the front desk were very helpful, but the restaurant was overpriced for lunch (typical of hotels) and the menu selections were less than creative. There’s a small indoor pool which we did not have time to use, and I was told there was a Whole Foods a short walk across the river. If you come here from the airport, take the T line to the Harvard stop, and from there you can either pick up the hotel shuttle (call for the schedule), walk or catch a cab (it’s only about a $8 cab ride).

Room Tip: Get an upper floor facing downtown Boston...great views!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Paul H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marlboro, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Boston in July, 2012. We had previously been to this hotel for pleasure, and I had stayed there on a couple of prior business trips. This hotel, while not downtown, is well located, just off the Mass Pike. The rooms, which are all suites, are quite comfortable. It is usually not a good idea to drive to downtown Boston, but the hotel provides free shuttle service to the downtown area, which is convenient. Prior to our stay, the hotel charged $10 per day for wireless internet in your room, but I'm pleased to say, on the day that we began our visit, the hotel eliminated that charge. There is also a concierge service that was extremely helpful in booking a tour that I wanted to go on.

We found that there is insufficient space to leave your car in front of the lobby while checking in, and we had to wait a considerable period of time before we could find room for our car. When we checked in, I asked about a bedboard for my wife's bed, since she has a bad back. I had requested the bedboard in writing when I made the reservation over the internet. The person behind the desk told us that the hotel did not have bedboards. Fortunately, we have learned to throw a bedboard into the trunk of our car to use during those situations, but we had to carry it to our room. I was also upset about the $35 per night charge to park in their garage, which I felt was excessive for a hotel that was not located downtown. We were also not happy about the fact that breakfast was not included in the price of the room, unlike at Embassy Suites (like Doubletree a Hilton property) and Residence in, which both serve an unlimited hot breakfast at no extra charge. (As a practical matter, my wife and I walked over to the Whole Foods, two blocks away, and bought whatever we needed for breakfast, and put the food in the refrigerator in our room. It was a lot cheaper than paying for the hotel's breakfast.)

After we came home from our trip, I received an e-mail from the hotel, asking us to rate our stay. I responded to the e-mail, giving special attention to the reservations we had about the parking charges and the lack of an included breakfast, as well as the bedboard problem. A few days later I received an e-mail from a woman who identified herself as the Director of Rooms and Guest Services at the hotel. She thanked me for my feedback, and was extremely helpful. With respect to the bedboard she said that the Doubletree does, indeed, have bedboards, and that she would take corrective action with the desk clerk who checked us in and would address the issue with her staff as well. With respect to the charge for breakfast, she suggested that I might want to look into the hotel's other packages, which include breakfast and parking. After reading her suggestion I went to the hotel web site and looked at their rates for a hypothetical three night stay for three nights in August. I found no packages which included parking, and I found a couple of packages which included breakfast. The cheapest of these would cost $20 per night per person extra for two people, which would be a very expensive breakfast. I advised her of the results of my search, and she promised to forward my comments to the hotel's Director of Revenue. She also addressed my concerns about the parking charges to my satisfaction.

I was extremely impressed that this hotel went the extra mile to ensure that we were satisfied with our stay. My wife and I will not hesitate to stay at the Doubletree Guest Suites the next time we are in the Boston area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hotel room was spacious for my family of five. The staff was friendly and accommodating. However, I found the location to be inconvenient. Hotel shuttle bus was crowded and lacked proper air conditioning. During one pick up my husband had to stand (not very safe). The pool was small and not very inviting. The worst part of the stay were the 3 bugs we found, resembling cockroaches, all in one night. Yuck! The staff moved us to a new room the next morning and were very apologetic. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd stay here again if I ever return to Boston.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Dmwchicag
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Kim at the front desk was excellent! The rooms are up to Hilton standard. Breakfast and warm cookies are great. This is a good choice was in Boston, I have stayed here many times and will again

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank hapeit
Pacific Grove, CA
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our family of four stayed here twice this summer for a total of 7 nights in two different rooms. We were greeted warmly both times by front desk staff, given the warm cookies, and free water and wi-fi in our rooms as HiltonHonors members, even though it was our first stay since joining. We called down for extra towels and they arrived within minutes. The room was spacious, clean, and very comfortable--even the fold-out couch our boys slept on.

We ate at the cafe on the 3rd floor our first afternoon there. The food was excellent, but expensive. The staff was friendly and welcoming . . . just what we needed after a long flight from California on which the airline had run out of all food and had no entertainment due to a broken sound system. We felt we were off to a good start in Boston right away.

As a family on a long trip, we especially appreciated the laundry room, the wonderfully cool A/C during the East Coast heat wave, and the perfect location--right on the beautiful Charles river, and within walking distance of a Whole Foods, and the free shuttle service that took us directly to the T. One word of advice: show up at least 10 minutes early for the shuttle. On busy summer mornings, it can fill up. They try to accommodate with a back-up van when they can, but sometimes only one driver is on duty.

We'd definitely stay here again and will recommend it to anyone, but maybe especially families.

Room Tip: The King bed suite with fold out couch was perfect for our family of 4. The microwave, refrigerator...
2 Thank PrincessAndThePeaPG
New York, NY
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Clearly July weekends are off season and off college schedules. We had an enjoyable and gracious stay at this hotel, convenient to the Mass. Pike, Cambridge and Boston.
The friendly staff were helpful and welcoming. The hotel suite was comfortably sized and the colorful fresh decor much appreciated. Breakfast was a nice combination of buffet and cooked to order, with views of the Charles River.
To compensate for the somewhat remote location, the hotel has free shuttle buses which drop you off at 3 - 4 locations in downtown Boston, so that you can leave the car at the hotel.
A great visit, I would return again as time permits.
Two things I would improve: a) the overnight parking charge of $35 feels high, and there is no where else to park nearby; and b) I would ask for a firmer mattress.

Room Tip: This hotel is mostly suites, many floors organized around a dramatic atrium. Some rooms have tremen...
1 Thank pancakesisters9
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights over two separate trips to Boston in July 2012 with my family (wife, 2 teenagers). This is really a terrific hotel. Room was large and comfortable, with a nice view. Restaurant and lounge were great for local eating, although we also walked into Harvard Square a couple nights. Within walking distance of car rental (Enterprise) and the hotel offers very frequent shuttles to different areas around Boston, which we used a lot as well. Front-desk people were nice, hotel had a free PC with printer, free wifi. It was just a wonderful place to stay all around. I absolutely would not hesitate to stay here again. My one complaint, and it's a small one, is that breakfast in the hotel is expensive (basically $20 a person, whether eating the buffet or ordering off the menu). Even with that, it's a wonderful place to stay for a family visiting Boston.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#15 of 20 in Cambridge
Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
Hotel Veritas
#5 of 20 in Cambridge
Downtown
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Downtown

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge? Share your experiences!