“Excellent hotel with complimentary shuttle service to attractions”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge
Ranked #44 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is our new favorite Boston hotel. We stayed at this hotel over Easter weekend this past April. My husband and I had a suite and our 3 teenagers had their own suite also. The suites are very roomy, clean and comfortable, with a separate sitting area. Our daughters generally share the bedroom and our son gets the sofabed in the sitting area, and that way he gets his own TV and private space. We are Hilton Honors members and got some very good rates (about $100/room per night) , although even without the Honors benefits, the rooms were still very reasonable compared to rates at other Hilton properties in Boston.

This hotel is actually in Cambridge, and is adjacent to the Harvard Business School. Harvard University is just a short walk away, over the Charles River. Many rooms are riverview, as well. The location is great, as it is an easy exit off of the Mass Turnpike even before you get to the complicated downtown Boston driving--I do not enjoy driving in Boston! It's a few blocks of walking to get to a T station, but the best part of the hotel (In addition to the cookies!) is the complimentary shuttle service from the hotel to various tourist attractions, such as the New England Aquarium, Copley Square and Boston Commons. Check the schedule carefully at the front desk and you can be dropped off at one of these destinations and then picked up again later in the day. Saves a lot of money and time.

The hotel has a jazz club inside it, a feature we did not have an opportunity to enjoy, but it' looks very nice and had a very large crowd on one of the nights we were there. There are a couple of nice bars to relax in and our kids enjoyed room service pizza one night, while we had something more grown up! A continental breakfast was included for us as Hilton Honors members, with a very reasonable cost upgrade to the full buffet breakfast with made to order omelettes and other hot foods. The staff and service were excellent--my kids did not walk by that front desk without some warm chocolate chip cookies being offered to them! And when we were ready to leave the hotel to head home, there was no coffee availabe in the lobby at that time, but the nice ladies at the front desk ran in the back and brewed up a new pot for us and packed it in go-cups for our drive. A really nice touch indeed!

We will be back for sure next time we travel to Boston!

Room Tip: Ask for a riverview room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank scientistmom
jdadiego, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such a glowing review of our hotel. These type of comments really provide a great source of encouragement for our entire staff. We hope to see you on your next visit to Boston.

Joe Dadiego

Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed June 10, 2011

Overall experience was bad. Front desk is always busy and full of people. I requested complimentary comb and brush, called from my room and waited half an hour and there is no delivery. Ended i have to go down to front desk to collect. Confronted to front desk and the answer is "I m sorry i forgot".

No Free Wifi and breakfast is expensive. only 1 staff manning the breakfast restaurant area and breakfast order time and served took 15 minutes.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TKTan

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you had such a challenging experience at our hotel. We really appreciate the feedback and i will be contacting your directly to get more specific feedback and correct these issues for you.

Reviewed June 2, 2011

I am so glad that we selected this hotel for our Memorial Day weekend visit to Boston. We were in town to move our son into MIT, and although this property is not in Cambridge, we had no problems getting around. The concierge was extremely helpful; the shuttle service was reliable and adequate; the breakfast buffet was healthy and filling; the front desk staff was so friendly and accommodating. The unlimited famous Doubletree chocolate chip cookies were addicting. The suite was very nice; I like the fact that the bathroom is not in the bedroom like it is in many Marriott Residence Inns. The whole property was very clean and attractive. When we checked in the front desk upgraded us at no charge to a riverfront room. The view was just spectacular. If we return to Boston, we will definitely stay at the Doubletree. If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to reply. You will not go wrong if you stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for riverfront room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We are so glad you enjoyed your trip to Boston and your stay at our hotel so much! Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Traveled for some business and leisure with the family. We wanted a hotel with suites as well as an indoor pool. This place had it all including excellent service. Shuttles were convenient to downtown. Easy walk to park with playscape as well as Riteaid and Whole Foods. The T was a decent walk but doable. Overall, excellent value and service. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thanks for such a great review! The team at the hotel works very hard to provide the best value psosible for families as well as business travelers. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

I stayed here for a business trip, and had a good time.

The staff hotel was very friendly when I arrived. They provided me with the free chocolate cookies. In addition, the staff assisted with a shuttle reservation for pickup and drop off. FYI - The complimentary shuttle goes to Copley Square, Boston Common, New England Aquarium, and Harvard Square.

The room was nice and spacious. Even though I traveled by myself, I really enjoyed using the suite to use my laptop and watch tv. The bed was comfy, and it was easy for me to fall asleep. In addition, the bathroom was clean. I liked the Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries. Fancy stuff. The room also had a coffee pot, micro fridge, microwave, and TVs.

I didn't like the hotel too much since the location was not close to anything. There weren't any restaurants within walking distance. I ate at the hotel restaurant for two nights in a row. In addition, the hotel isn't near a bus or train line, so it was a $40 taxi ride for 7 miles.

If you bring a car, parking in the garage was over $30. Otherwise, just wait for a taxi.

You also need to pay for wifi. I paid $9.95 for 24 hours. You could use free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KeroppiQueen

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Being just outside the city center is definitely a challenge. We continue to work with our transporttion department to fine tune our bus schedule to meet more of our customers needs. We hope to see you back in Boston soon!

Reviewed May 23, 2011

I used Hilton points to book a room so I wouldn't have to drive home following a Red Sox game. I last stayed in this hotel back in 2001 and enjoyed my stay then, so figured I'd give it another whirl.

Like most chain hotels, the carpet and furnishings are a little dated but I was simply there to sleep and have a short commute into work. The bed was very comfortable, though I needed two pillows as one alone just was too flat.

Bathroom was very clean, I'd have no problems staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your candid feedback. The staff enjoys reading all comments good and bad. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

This is a great hotel to stay if you have business in Cambridge or Watertown. The service is top-notch. When you check-in, they are professional, helpful and give you a warm baked cookie.

I had a slight problem with my toilet and they repaired it immediately AND gave me free room service in recognition for the inconvenience.

Overall, I gave this very high ratings because of the service.

The room is nice, but make sure to ask for a King (or queen) suite, as you don't want a room with twin beds. The suite is a bonus because it has an extra room with flatscreen tv/sofa bed. Also ask for a room overlooking the river -- very nice to wake up and see the crew team practicing along the Charles.

Room Tip: Ask for a king room (not twin!) overlooking river
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
jdadiego, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed everything so much. Reviews like this are great to share with our team and to validate all the hard work and effort they put into the property.

Joe Dadiego

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Downtown
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Downtown
Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
East Boston / Logan Airport
Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#17 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge? Share your experiences!