“Surprisingly nice!”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I only live 45 minutes away but I had to do some business north of Boston so I decided to get a room on Priceline for last Saturday night. We got the CSH for $110 which was a good deal. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived that it was very updated and modern, dare I say "chic" even. We didn't valet park ($42 a night) we got a meter about 1/2 block from the front door and we only had to feed it Saturday from 5:30 to 8:00. Check-in was easy but they insisted they only had "Boutique Queen" rooms (or some silly name) unless we wanted to upgrade for $50 to a Premier King or something like that. So, be warned about that, especially if you're using PL. The room was very modern and nicely decorated but very small and the one window faced a wall. Fortunately there was a closet to put our luggage because the room basically held the bed, desk, 2 nightstands, and sort of bureau-thing w/ a TV on it. The bathroom was also nicely updated and not too small (bad showerhead) and everything was very clean. When we checked in they informed us there is a nightly wine reception from 5 to 6 so we headed downstairs and managed to enjoy 2 substantial glasses of Merlot on the house. I had made reservations at City Table for dinner which ended up being just 1/2 block away and that was perfect as it was 17 degrees and windy, and after a great meal we had drinks at the Mandarin Oriental bar. Boston is a very expensive city for lodging so it was a real treat to be so close to everything for such a great price (Copley, Prudential, Back Bay, Newbury St., etc. are all right there). The room was tiny but fine for one night, more than a weekend and it would have been too small. The hotel was very quiet and the interior room meant no traffic noise which was nice. Bed was comfortable and sheets were nice but needed more pillows.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott C

Reviewed January 11, 2010

this was the first time i visited boston. I'd been to new york, washington and las vegas before, so i expected alot from the city. The hotel was lovely, i can not say anything wrong about it. At night when we returned, the heating was on, our beds were turned down and the radio was turned on. The room was cleaned brilliantly everyday and the staff were so polite and helpfull! The hotel is brilliantly located close to the prudential center and newbury street-where there are plenty of stores. A T stop is just around the corner as too is John Hancock Tower and the Boston city Library. Macys and other stores are a 20 minute walk away in chinatown-however, a walk to these is a pleasure, as the streets are wider and less crowed then those in New York. We came to boston to do some shopping, and it proved fruitful. My wife found the shopping to be better then that in NY, especially as no sales tax was put on the majority of our spending(clothes).

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Best hotel in Boston. Excellent staff and service! This hotel made me feel like home! The hotel is so clean! I stayed in several hotels over the years but this hotel had to be one of the best. I recommend this hotel to any travelers that stay in Boston. If you want to feel like home in a hotel on vacation this is the hotel to spend the night in..

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Great location steps away from the Prudential Center. Low rise hotel meant you could hear street noise. Old building re-done in a modern style. Rooms were clean, down comforters that were too warm with AC that would not go below 65. Staff was extremely kind and welcoming and professional in every way. No vending machines in this hotel at all, so bring your own mixers. In the end we could have stayed at a few other hotels for the same money had had nicer room and better experience. Priceline lists this as a four star hotel. I'd say 2.5 stars. But again the hotel staff we interacted with were as nice as one could find. Great people, nothing great about the property itself. and, anticipate the $42 valet parking or $39 in the garage at the Pru.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The Copley Square Hotel has been newly re-invented into a sophisticated contemporary hotel. The service is outstanding, and every staff member I encountered was polite, friendly and had a very positive attitude about the hotel and what they could do to make the guests enjoy their stay. This is so different from many large hotels where you check in and never see anyone unless you have a problem.

I enjoyed their daily wine receptions in the lobby where various wines were served in beautiful stemware in a relaxing setting. This was just a nice feature. Nobody was trying to sell you cases of wine or anything like that.

There were so many nice things about this hotel. There was free coffee in the lobby in the morning, a newspaper delivered during weekdays, turndown service in the evening with information left about the following day's weather and things to do in the city. Free bottled water was left in the evening, and the wifi worked very well in my room and in the lobby. The toiletries in the bathroom were of good quality and nicely scented - the kind you actually wanted to use and take home extras.

Although there is a nightclub and popular bar on the ground floor, my room was perfectly silent for the whole week I was there. There was no noise whatsoever from music in the club or other guests, If you want a quiet room at this hotel, you can definitely have one.

I didn't get to try the restaurant for dinner, although it looked attractive and welcoming. I did have a selection of appetizers and some wine for dinner one stormy night at their bar called "Minibar", and it was a really nice time. Minibar is a very trendy and popular place with the local people especially on the weekend.

The room was very nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. The furniture was new and fine quality. The bathroom had a powerful shower with abundant hot water and bathtub. There were lots of big towels. Everything was extremely clean and fresh.

I believe I had the minimum rate room, and some may consider it small compared to others they stayed in, but it was fine for me. There seem to be various other rooms available at higher prices that would probably be larger with views etc.

This hotel is perfectly located in what is probably the best part of Boston. I felt totally safe walking day and night. There are many shops and restaurants of all kinds within minutes of the hotel. There are two subway lines very close to the hotel making it easy to get anywhere in the city very quickly.

This is my new favorite hotel in Boston, and I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2009

The hotel has a great location ( a block from Copley Place and the Boston Library and Trinity Church, a block from the Prudential center, and with great access to public transportation), the rooms were recently renovated and upon our arrival we were upgraded to a better room ( it was the first time we stayed there). The rooms are spacious, with a comfortable bed. The bathroom is small ( one person at the time. The hotel is quaint and the staff is great. Will come back !

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We booked this hotel based on the positive reviews here. The staff were extremely friendly. The ambiance of the hotel is very "cool," but that didn't stop the reception from greeting us warmly.

I had emailed them before to let them know that I was allergic to down feathers - I've had bad experiences before with down pillows in some of the more trendy hotels. They not only had gotten my email, but also had given us all hypoallergenic bedding and linen. Very thoughtful.

We arrived by Amtrak and the hotel is only about 2 minutes from the Back Bay station. Very convenient.

We didn't eat breakfast there so I cannot comment on the food or the free wine reception.

The only down sides as far as we were concerned were the lack of a computer available for guests (although they do have free wi-fi in the rooms) and the dimly lit rooms. If you need the computer and don't have a laptop, the hotel is right around the corner from the main Boston Public Library. They have 15-minute free access to computers/internet without having to have a library card.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple