“My Stay Was Perfect. Outstanding Service and Staff”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The Copley Square Hotel has been newly re-invented into a sophisticated contemporary hotel. The service is outstanding, and every staff member I encountered was polite, friendly and had a very positive attitude about the hotel and what they could do to make the guests enjoy their stay. This is so different from many large hotels where you check in and never see anyone unless you have a problem.

I enjoyed their daily wine receptions in the lobby where various wines were served in beautiful stemware in a relaxing setting. This was just a nice feature. Nobody was trying to sell you cases of wine or anything like that.

There were so many nice things about this hotel. There was free coffee in the lobby in the morning, a newspaper delivered during weekdays, turndown service in the evening with information left about the following day's weather and things to do in the city. Free bottled water was left in the evening, and the wifi worked very well in my room and in the lobby. The toiletries in the bathroom were of good quality and nicely scented - the kind you actually wanted to use and take home extras.

Although there is a nightclub and popular bar on the ground floor, my room was perfectly silent for the whole week I was there. There was no noise whatsoever from music in the club or other guests, If you want a quiet room at this hotel, you can definitely have one.

I didn't get to try the restaurant for dinner, although it looked attractive and welcoming. I did have a selection of appetizers and some wine for dinner one stormy night at their bar called "Minibar", and it was a really nice time. Minibar is a very trendy and popular place with the local people especially on the weekend.

The room was very nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. The furniture was new and fine quality. The bathroom had a powerful shower with abundant hot water and bathtub. There were lots of big towels. Everything was extremely clean and fresh.

I believe I had the minimum rate room, and some may consider it small compared to others they stayed in, but it was fine for me. There seem to be various other rooms available at higher prices that would probably be larger with views etc.

This hotel is perfectly located in what is probably the best part of Boston. I felt totally safe walking day and night. There are many shops and restaurants of all kinds within minutes of the hotel. There are two subway lines very close to the hotel making it easy to get anywhere in the city very quickly.

This is my new favorite hotel in Boston, and I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,939)

Reviewed December 16, 2009

The hotel has a great location ( a block from Copley Place and the Boston Library and Trinity Church, a block from the Prudential center, and with great access to public transportation), the rooms were recently renovated and upon our arrival we were upgraded to a better room ( it was the first time we stayed there). The rooms are spacious, with a comfortable bed. The bathroom is small ( one person at the time. The hotel is quaint and the staff is great. Will come back !

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We booked this hotel based on the positive reviews here. The staff were extremely friendly. The ambiance of the hotel is very "cool," but that didn't stop the reception from greeting us warmly.

I had emailed them before to let them know that I was allergic to down feathers - I've had bad experiences before with down pillows in some of the more trendy hotels. They not only had gotten my email, but also had given us all hypoallergenic bedding and linen. Very thoughtful.

We arrived by Amtrak and the hotel is only about 2 minutes from the Back Bay station. Very convenient.

We didn't eat breakfast there so I cannot comment on the food or the free wine reception.

The only down sides as far as we were concerned were the lack of a computer available for guests (although they do have free wi-fi in the rooms) and the dimly lit rooms. If you need the computer and don't have a laptop, the hotel is right around the corner from the main Boston Public Library. They have 15-minute free access to computers/internet without having to have a library card.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed December 6, 2009

Delicately designed rooms and good services. Only the bathroom is too small.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2009

As a native New Englander, I have stayed at many hotels in Boston. I hadn't been to the Copley Square in years, but I heard the renovation was great, so figured we'd give it a try. From the moment we checked in, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is very chic, a great find in Back Bay! The rooms are very modern and a great size...and Wine Down in the lobby is a nice way to spend happy hour - the staff mingles with guests and truly makes you feel welcome...and the location is perfect! We will definitely be back next time we are in Boston - it is a 10!

1  Thank cboyden
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I had to do a lot of research to find a modern, boutique style hotel in Boston and found this one through other people's reviews. The hotel is very nice and did not disappoint us. The staff tried extra hard to give good service. They were very good at remembering our names and sincerely tried to make our stay as nice as possible. In the evening, they offer (free) wine tasting which we really enjoyed. Lots of guests came down so I'd have to say it's a nice perk. The location is really close to some great seafood restaurants as well as Copley Plaza so it was very convenient for us. Otherwise the other reviews are pretty accurate so we knew to expect the hotel to be noisy. It's just noise from the street because the location is so central. So nothing that ear plugs couldn't block out so that was not a major issue for us.

Reviewed November 17, 2009

Let me get the niceties out of the way. Great location, beautiful rooms, and friendly staff.

That said, there is a nightclub on the ground floor that shakes the entire room from 10 pm to 2 am. All you hear is BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. My glass of water literally rippled ala Jurassic Park. That was Sunday. Monday's are safe. At least they were when I was there.

I had a package delivered from the hotel to New York and it was returned a week later to the hotel for lack of proper postage and broken. In order for them to send it back to me at home in Washington State, I had to pay again for postage.

If none of that had happened, it still would have been grossly overpriced. I;ve stayed in better for less in Manhattan.

So, if you are a late-night partier with extra cash and nothing to mail, I actually do recommend it. If you want a quiet room, avoid this like no other.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank CliveDexx
Copley_Square_Hotel, General Manager at Copley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2009

Dear CliveDexx,

Thank you very much for posting a review of your visit to the Copley Square Hotel and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you incurred during your visit. I can certainly understand your frustration with regards to noise emanating from our lounge/nightclub and how that detracts from one’s visit. We continue to work with the management company of both spaces to find a reasonable solution. Tentatively, there are plans to replace the ceiling by the end of January which should make a considerable difference but obviously, does not help you. Thank you to you and to the others who have made us aware of this issue…without your honest appraisal of your experience, we would not have had the opportunity to correct this short coming.

I did also investigate the issue regarding your package. It was actually delivered via FedEx to the address you supplied us and delivered on time. I believe our Director of Operations e-mailed you the tracking number and you can see the package was delivered three times on November 5th and 6th but no one was available to accept the package, thus it was returned to us. We have an account with FedEx so not having enough postage was never the issue. My apologies to you if that was communicated to you by our team but if you would like to contact me, I will be more than happy to resend the tracking number so you can see that it was in fact delivered as asked. It is also my understanding that the package was sent as it was given to us. We are terribly sorry that the item was damaged in transit as that is never our intention but, if that is correct, that would be something to take up with FedEx as we were not given an amount to ensure it for when we were asked to ship the item. If my investigation has yielded incorrect information, please be sure to contact me or Steve Sasso and we will be happy to discuss the issue further.

We do appreciate your kind comments about our location and staff but do feel terribly that you do not believe you received value during your stay. Hearing the circumstances surrounding your dissatisfaction, I could certainly understand why you feel that way but do hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again. Should your travel plans bring you back to Boston in the future, please contact me directly and I will ensure your stay will be more representative of the numerous great reviews we have had.

Thank you again for your time.

John Maibach