“Extremely Disappointed”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Unfortunately our guestroom was located above the outside exit of the hotel lounge. When the club let out early Monday morning, we were startled awake from the loud, obnoxious people outside. There was no soundproofing in the windows, so we heard everything. We heard the screaming, a fight that broke out, drunk people yelling, extremely loud bass from a car that rattled our room, and when the police arrived. The police presence did little to calm the crowd down, with drunk people yelling at the police.

I would have liked the staff to be a bit more apologetic than they were. I also would have appreciated some sort of discount for the room, since I was kept up for about an hour and a half while these issues took place.

My likelihood to stay at this hotel would be low. I would not recommend this hotel to my friends or colleagues based upon our experience. Soundproof windows are a must, especially in a hotel that sells itself as being upscale. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

3  Thank YAK823

Reviewed May 26, 2009

The good:
- Location, location, location. In terms of seeing tourist sites, it can't be beat. It's an easy walk from the hotel to the South End and the Back Bay. The Copley T station is about a block away if you're interested in traveling farther afield.
- Service. When we showed up at around 10am and asked if an early check-in could be arranged, the gentleman working at the front desk immediately ran up to our room to check if it was ready. We were very grateful that the hotel was able to accommodate this request. The folks working at the front desk couldn't be nicer or more attuned to the needs of the guests.
- Peace and Quiet. Several other guests have noted that their rooms were loud. Ours wasn't, possibly because it faced another wall of the hotel. Also, having read other reviews, I was ready for the pillows and bedding to be uncomfy. They weren't. We had no complaints about the comfort of the bed or pillows.

The Not-So-Good
- Housekeeping. Our towels weren't fully replenished during our stay (despite our obeying the instruction to put used towels on the floor). Shampoo and conditioner wasn't replenished either, which meant that nobody in our room could wash hair on the last day as we rushed to get to the airport. Bottom line - be ready to ask housekeeping for additional needed supplies.
- View. We reserved our room for a great rate through a third-party discounter, so it's likely that we were assigned one of the hotel's lesser views. We looked right at another wing of the hotel, and the room got very little natural light throughout the day. Perpetual dimness, but great if you're a daytime napper.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Zinnflylla
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I'm perplexed as to why this hotel is so highly rated here on Tripadvisor. Given our two night stay, I think it falls short primarily for two reasons, noise level and issues with comfort. It does, however, outshine many other hotels as far as personable employees and making a solid impression in letting the customer know that the staff is more than willing to provide all they can to make ones stay as enjoyable as possible. Because of that, I give the hotel a solid A+ for their focus and dedication in trying to provide their customers with the best possible service and experience. The hotel although very tastefully refurbished, is still an old hotel. We stayed in Room 511, a king suite (and do agree with the previous reviewer's complaint regarding the uncomfortableness of the pillows!!). Suite was well appointed, no doubt about it, and roomy, too. But for us the catch was the noise factor. The street noise is UNBELIEVABLE through out the night into the wee hours of the morning -- from the constant sounds of irrate horns blowing, sirens wailing, the after hours bar crowd laughing and yelling, etc. - it is definitely over the top. Not sure if it was due to old walls, windows or what. We have stayed directly across the street numerous times at the Marriot, and this has never been a problem there. Another pet peeve was the inability to get the room temp to our satisfaction -- the bed is equiped with a sheet and a duvet -- so you find you are either too hot or too cold. I hate sleeping with just a sheet on, but that's what I ended up doing. Given just how pricey the hotel actually is, these two issues were deal breakers for us. On the positive side, the location is really phenomenal. If you are someone who can sleep through just about anything and are not picky about the comfort of the bed and pillows that you sleep on, then I say, have at it.

1  Thank rhodewarriors
Reviewed May 17, 2009

The Copley Hotel is a wonderful place to stay and could very well have been a SOLID 5 Star stay were it not for the flat broken down pillows that provided no support for you head and neck. My wife and I awoke each morning wishing we would have stopped by one of the many shops and purchased pillows.

The Hotel is clean and comfortable with a Asian flare to it. Our room was a King Suite (511) and despite the pillows provided us the ability to relax after a long day walking the Freedom Trail or shopping one of the thousand nearby shops.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay that is located just three blocks from Newberry Street and all the shopping one could ever want.

1  Thank boisebrav
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights in early April and absolutely loved it! The rooms were gorgeous, bed comfortable, nice tv, etc. The staff were very nice and helpful. We had to evacuate one afternoon for some unknown reason and afterwards they went around checking on everyone and offering bottles of water. I would go back here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2009

My wife and I went up to Boston for our anniversary and to visit some friends, a coworker reccommended the hotel. We were both impressed by the freindly service and clean comfortable accomadations

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ffpthree
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I was very impressed with this hotel> My son and I were going to see BU and when we checked in and they saw it was the two of us, they upgraded us to two rooms with a connecting bath! It was great for both of us. Nicely appointed and renovated rooms, great beds and linens. The hotel called the day before our arrival to see if there was anything they could do for us - I have never had that, even at Trump! The concierge, Steve< was helpful and got us in Bricco (great Italian) and recommended Stephanies for brunch - super!Wine reception in the evening as great to swap stories and compare restaurants, etc. Hotel is perfect location - took a Duck Tour - definitely worth it. We will be back

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family