“Great Hotel!”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Great people, place, and price! Beds are important to me and so is ambience...this hotel has both. The service is impecable! We had checked in late for Christmas Eve and then had to have our bags waiting for us the next day as we left for New York, NY. They were on time with the bellhop and the refurbished classic charm of the hotel gives you an almost 1920'2 atmosphere. The elevator is in peak condition and is the oldest in Boston. We loved our view of the city from our room. This hotel was top notch. A must stay! I do recommend passing the hotel and turning around to get to the entrance; It is one a one way street.

Room Tip: The hotel is within walking distance to the Copley Mall.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,936)

Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a recent business trip to Boston. To be honest it was not my first choice and I'll not stay there again if I can help it. The room was perfectly nice and the reception and bar staff perfectly lovely -- but far from what I would have expected given the reviews and the prices.

Let's start with the room. I had a very good room by all accounts, and the bed was nice. But the room was badly laid out and the bathroom was quirky and small with just a single basin (okay for me for a few nights, but hopeless for a couple, or even a woman who would need to do makeup). The AC worked but the thermostat was unreliable so that it was almost impossible to get the temperature comfortable and keep it there. The Internet was wireless and free -- good for a business hotel -- but was slow and kept timing out. The room on the 4th floor was quiet, as requested, and helped by the ice machines being on the odd number floors only.

There is a restaurant that serves breakfast and dinner, but no lunch or room service. And there's nothing to shout about with the food which is expensive for what you get. The seating is uncomfortable and the ambiance, well, what ambiance. The bar is excellent, though, with a good selection of beverages, sensible music, knowledgeable and welcoming staff, and a great feeling. It's probably the best thing about the hotel.

There is valet parking, but it's slow. Cars are kept at a lot across the street and there are simply not enough staff to make it possible for two cars to be moving at the same time, either from or to the hotel. The morning I left I even booked the time I needed the car the previous evening, and still it was not there when I came to leave for the airport.

I would say that this all amounts to a bit of a shame. What could be superb -- nice decor in a great environment, simply fails to impress. I see that other reviewers have noticed some of the same issues I did and still gave 5/5... Perhaps those authors are less sophisticated travelers than I am and have simply not experienced what the best of the boutique hotels are like around the world.

Room Tip: If you can get a room for less than $200 then this is a good choice. If not, choose something else...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2012

On this trip to Boston, my daughter (23 yrs.) and I went apartment hunting for her. We were extremely luck to get a fabulous rate ($170!!!) through priceline. The Copley Square knows what they are doing and how to take care of their guests. Everyone on the staff was extremely cordial, helpful, well spoken and dressed very professionally. Our first night we were in a King Deluxe room (408) with a very comfortable bed with exquisite linens and pillows. There was a settee next to the window with a decent view. All of the decor (including a casual chandelier over the bed) was very modern and comfortable. The bathroom and closet had plenty of room for 2 women and all that we travel with! Free wifi was a big bonus for us as we were apartment hunting. The 5 - 6 p.m. complimentary wine pour in the lobby was such a nice touch after long days of apartment visits. Then, the housekeeping came around with complimentary bottled water in the evening. I highly recommend this property for all of the above reasons and the fact that it is so centrally located to shopping, restaurants, public transportation, and the historic Boston city!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a "bad" room in this hotel, but 408 was quiet and comfortable!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KristaLee65
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This gem of a hotel is situated in the heart of Copley Square, within walking distance to the great shopping and dining options. I arrived very early in the morning and was welcomed with complimentary coffee and Leslie at the front desk, who graciously called me when my room was ready. I was not able to make it to Wine Down hour, but they offer a nightly wine reception for guests.

The decor is sophisticated, yet playful with neutral colors brought to life with bold patterns and pops of color. This was the first visit to the Copley Square Hotel, but hopefully not my last.

Room Tip: Tip: the premiere guest rooms are spacious and worth the extra splurge.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NOLATravelGal
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My girlfriends and I spent our annual "girls" getaway at this lovely old hotel in historic Boston. The rooms were very nice - not overly large, but certainly sufficient, nicely appointed, with good lighting (important as we get older....) and comfortable beds. The rooms are somewhat oddly configured, but that was not totallly unexpected as it is a older building. The fan in our bathroom did not work, it wasn't a real issue for us, but the one in the other room did. The hotel itself was very quiet and is located near teh glorious Boston Public Library, Trinity Church, the Hancock Building, MANY shops and restaurants and Newberry Street. We had no view, unfortunately, but were happy with having quiet after long days of touring around (it is an older hotel so you can't always have everything!) While we all liked the hotel itself, it is the staff that made this an exceptional experience - from the very first bellman to the very last valet. Of special note is Ana, the concierge who seemed to be on the entire Memorial Day weekend. Ana made some great recommendations for restaurants in the area and helped get us in for dinner on a very busy night, on Newberry St. All the staff were friendly and helpful and very well trained - hey, Jude! - I hate to mention individuals when they were all that good. The restaurant in the hotel was opened only for breakfast and dinner. We had breakfast there several mornings - the prices were quite good for a hotel, and the quality was very good. The hotel has a daily "Wine Down" between 5-6PM which we took full advantage of, featuring Californian wines - a very nice touch, after a very busy day of touring. We were able to meet fellow travellers and exchange information about various locations/sites and finds!
One of us utilized the on-site Gym every day and said it was pretty good for a hotel. The password protected WiFi was an unexpected bonus.
I am impressed that Ryan called from the hotel a few days prior before our arrival to confirm the reservation and ask if there was anything more we required other than what we had previously requested, or if he could help to arrange any specific tours or restaurant reservations. He turned out to be one of the concierges on duty when we arrived and was as charming a young man in person as he was on the phone.
My husband and I are now planning a getaway to Boston and will certainly make this hotel our base, as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you are looking for something sure to be quite. We had been tol...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We bid $140 on Priceline for Memorial Day weekend which must be why were in a tiny room with a queen bed and a small bathroom with barely enough room to use the toilet. Speaking of the toilet, the seat was loose as was the toilet paper holder. There was free Internet but no free water. Even though we were on the 6th floor, the window was not soundproof and we could hear the bar below.

The bed was hard and there was no sheet, just a one piece comforter which is too warm unless the room was freezing. I like just a sheet which most nice hotels now have.

When we left to attend a Red Sox game, I asked for 2 extra pillows to be brought to the room. They were not there when we returned. I called and asked for 2 and they brought one.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RichR
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I knew I was getting a "boutique room". That was fine; it was what I wanted in an historic hotel in Copley Square. After all, Boston is all about History - past, present and future. I liked the historic touches: the elevator, the gorgeous open staircase, the interesting shaped room, the interior doors (closet, bathroom).
My room had a chandelier and several lamps with dimmer switches so I had plenty of light to work at the desk, read in bed, do make up and hair. LOTS of light in the bathroom, which also had a magnifying mirror on an articulating arm. Very handy and nothing I've seen in other hotels.
The well carpeted hall was so quiet, I didn't realise that there were other guests near me.
The AC is central, so it's fairly quiet, unlike window units which are very noisy going on & off all night.
Saw the Gym on my way in & out. There's a bar off the lobby. Password protected Wifi on the premises.
The lobby was kinda dark but I was greeted each time I entered. The concierge was quite helpful, which is great when you're from out of town.
Location was great for me: Copley Square, near the T, the Boston Public Library, the Hynes Convention Center and all the cool shops & restaurants on Newbury St.

The only thing I didn't like was the decor in the room. It was all browns with intriguing patterns (wall paper in the bath has "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere"!) but I would have liked something a little more in keeping with the historic nature of the building. But it's a hotel and with all the people coming & going, I understand why the furniture was black lacquer.

Should I have another opportunity, I'd be very happy to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if it's a "boutique queen" or a regular room. A "boutique room" is cozy...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo