“7th Floor view is one of the best!”

Boston Marriott Long Wharf
Ranked #42 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We got to our room and opened the curtains to see a beautiful view of the wharf and a park! The staff was friendly and the location was perfect for walking the city. Its right next to the water taxi and shuttle boats to P-Town and Salem. (well ONE of the PTown Shuttles - there are 2) The downsides were the tiny bathroom and the lack of queen or better beds in the room. It meant our sleeping arrangements were...um...cozier than expected.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank manabout2wn
Write a ReviewReviews (2,206)

Reviewed September 13, 2009

I had a really nice experience in that hotel recently. Got a room on a high floor with a superb view over the bay. My room was very well equipped and looked new. My bed was extremely comfortable. Both the room and the bathroom were clean with anything one would need. Went to the pool. That one needs some refurbishment, including restrooms etc! Breakfast was reasonable and delicious. Plus, the hotel is located in walking distance to anything, which is really convenient. The service appeared to be average.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank todebald
Reviewed September 9, 2009

it's a marriot so you know what you are getting. It's big, impersonal but has everything you need. The concierge lounge had nice views if a little crowded at times with a full quota of screaming kids. Very convenient for freedom trail, boats and trolley tours and the north end for italian food. Would use it on our next trip to boston

2  Thank Malky
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Upon arrival (8 pm) they said they were quite full and they didn't have any rooms with views of the water left. At this time, the staff was very polite and helpful. We were staying two nights and they said they would move us to a room with a water view the second night. Fine. They put us in a handicapped room (which was actually quite quiet and roomy).

The next morning, I called the front desk to confirm our room move. They said to leave our luggage in one spot, they would move it while we were out sight seeing, and when we returned, we would be moved into our new room.

We got back to the hotel at 4 pm. Our room was ready, but our luggage had not been delivered yet. We went downstairs to eat at Tia's (really nice) and when we returned about 5:30, our luggage was in our room.........

That's when our 14 year old son realized he left his IPod Touch in the drawer of the first room. I immediately called the front desk to explain the situation and asked if we could go back to the other room to look for it. The front desk told me the room was already rented out. They assured me that the housekeeping staff checks the drawers and cabinets when they clean, so she would check with them to see if they found it.
Guess what? Housekeeping didn't find any Ipod, and the front desk seemed too busy to really deal with our issue. It would have been nice at that point for her to suggest maybe security could go look in the drawer, which they can legally do. (Anyone with a 14 year old who no longer has his IPod would understand that to a 14 year old, it is a big deal.) I didn't get the impression that the staff at the hotel thought the same way.

After dealing with the manager on duty, a couple of calls to the general manager upon our return home, and the security manager, the Marriot chain said there really isn't coverage for the Ipod.

The facts are that it was in the drawer when we left the room, and after housekeeping cleaned it, it was no where to be found. What would you think?

Like I said, be careful where you put your belongings.

The rooms were clean (even though the toilet in the second room didn't flush properly and overflowed), the hotel is beautiful and in a perfect location to walk the Freedom Trail, is right on the subway line and the ferry line over to the Navy Yard.

Parking at the hotel was $44 per night, but you can park at the Aquarium (short walk) for $35 per night.

Even though there were positives about this hotel, I wouldn't stay there again because of the indifference of the front desk staff with our Ipod situation.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Everything about our stay at the Marriott Long Wharf was exceptional. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted warmly and that continued throughout our stay. The rooms were immaculate, the bathroom sparkling clean and the proximity of the Marriott to the marjor attractions that we wanted to see, including Quincy Market, NE Aquarium and Whale Watching made it a perfect vacation spot. The pool was a big hit with the whole family as was the game room. This is definitely a family friendly hotel that I would stay at again and again. If I had any negative, it would be the laundry room. It was too small but I was glad it was there to throw a load of wash in.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank NBabylonFamily
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf Boston arriving on August 7 for two nights. The welcome by the valet staff was prompt and courteous. As you walk into the hotel there are two escalators one that leads you to the reception, hotel restaurant, bar area and elevators. The escalators are covered with a glass atrium with red trim. The first thing I noticed was how dirty the glass was. The area below is noisy so I guess this works as a sound barrier. Welcome at the front desk was again prompt and courteous. I booked this stay with my Marriott Rewards. I have Silver status and earn my points by planning meetings at the various Marriott brands of hotels. This is my third time using points for a stay.

My room was on the 5th floor, as you get off the elevators you are in the middle of the building with two long hallways running the length of the building. My room was across the hall from the elevators and the mostly passed area of the hallway. It was very noisy and I heard everything from the hallway from my room. Elevator bells, as well as the elevators, you can hear them go up and down. People arriving at all times of the day and night you hear as they get off the elevator. It seems that when you use points you get the least favourable room available in the hotel. After three points stays it has always been the least ideal situated rooms in the hotel.

The room is a standard Marriott room, they are almost all cookie cutter fashioned: Clean with the recognisable amenities, bed, desk and flat screen TV. Bathroom amenities and linens are the standard, nothing special. I noticed that the ventilation in the bathroom was poor. The desk in the room is as always too high for the chair, this is the same situation at a Marriott sister brand, Renaissance. I hate the square pillows on the bed: They are very uncomfortable for sleeping but practical for sitting up in bed to watch TV or read. I usually just call to get more regular pillows.

Internet is not free and surprisingly in the lobby as well. You can but 24hrs in the room for 12.95 or 1hr in the lobby for 2.95. The hotel is very well situated and easy to access by car. Being on the wharf is nice but the hotel is next to the marina where all the sightseeing tours leave, Making it a very busy area. Walk 5 minutes and you are in the Italian district, the market district... Good dining can be found within a five minute walk.

My stay did not go without an incident. There was a wedding party staying at the hotel on the second night. At 2am parties started forming in various rooms on our floor. The room next to mine was one of them. I called the front desk to report the noise from music, ice with beer bottles in the tub; you can hear the ice moving around with the bottles. Plus there were around 20 people in the room talking loud. It took two calls to the front desk; security did come and warn the party participants that they were making too much noise. The music went off but more people came with more beer and it was unbearable. On the second call the front desk manager said they were busy breaking up another party down the hall. It took at least 30 minutes for the hotel to break up the parties using the threat of being kicked out of the hotel. The hotel did take care of the situation but did not bother to apologies for the inconvenience, not even during check out the next morning. The maid woke me up the next morning at 09h30, which was the cherry on the cake that spoiled the day and drive up the eastern coast, after a short night’s sleep. Should the maids check with front desk too see if the guest checked out first before knocking on check out day?

I would return only if I have the points available and then some. I would rather stay in the Copley Plaza area as I did during my last visit in Boston. I had a great visit of the city Boston it’s a beautiful city.

2  Thank mitchyul
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We decided to take a simple overnight trip into Boston to celebrate our anniversary, and booked a night at the Marriott Long Wharf. We live on the North Shore, so we took the ferry from Salem into Boston and walked off the ferry into the Marriott. It is the first building to your left, and could not have been easier. The 45 minute ride over is fantastic and gives you quite a view of the Boston waterfront and the hotel which is built to look like a ship. There is fresh fruit on the counter as you check in, and the staff was very efficient and pleasant. We arrived a bit early, so they held our bags while we walked around the area. Lots to see since Quincy Market, the North End, and the waterfront are right there. Our room had a view of the Columbus Park, and a bit of the marina, and was very clean. We ate breakfast there the next morning. The restaurant faces the water, it was peaceful and relaxing, and the food was good as it always is at Marriott.

By taking the ferry, we avoided the hefty parking fee, $44.00. The round trip ferry ticket, for two was $48.00 and much more enjoyable way to spend the money. You don't need a car in this area, the subway is right outside the hotel, and there is so much to see in the area it may be enough. This was a great get-away.