“Great location - Standard Hotel”

Boston Marriott Long Wharf
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Great location - Standard Hotel”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf Boston arriving on August 7 for two nights. The welcome by the valet staff was prompt and courteous. As you walk into the hotel there are two escalators one that leads you to the reception, hotel restaurant, bar area and elevators. The escalators are covered with a glass atrium with red trim. The first thing I noticed was how dirty the glass was. The area below is noisy so I guess this works as a sound barrier. Welcome at the front desk was again prompt and courteous. I booked this stay with my Marriott Rewards. I have Silver status and earn my points by planning meetings at the various Marriott brands of hotels. This is my third time using points for a stay.

My room was on the 5th floor, as you get off the elevators you are in the middle of the building with two long hallways running the length of the building. My room was across the hall from the elevators and the mostly passed area of the hallway. It was very noisy and I heard everything from the hallway from my room. Elevator bells, as well as the elevators, you can hear them go up and down. People arriving at all times of the day and night you hear as they get off the elevator. It seems that when you use points you get the least favourable room available in the hotel. After three points stays it has always been the least ideal situated rooms in the hotel.

The room is a standard Marriott room, they are almost all cookie cutter fashioned: Clean with the recognisable amenities, bed, desk and flat screen TV. Bathroom amenities and linens are the standard, nothing special. I noticed that the ventilation in the bathroom was poor. The desk in the room is as always too high for the chair, this is the same situation at a Marriott sister brand, Renaissance. I hate the square pillows on the bed: They are very uncomfortable for sleeping but practical for sitting up in bed to watch TV or read. I usually just call to get more regular pillows.

Internet is not free and surprisingly in the lobby as well. You can but 24hrs in the room for 12.95 or 1hr in the lobby for 2.95. The hotel is very well situated and easy to access by car. Being on the wharf is nice but the hotel is next to the marina where all the sightseeing tours leave, Making it a very busy area. Walk 5 minutes and you are in the Italian district, the market district... Good dining can be found within a five minute walk.

My stay did not go without an incident. There was a wedding party staying at the hotel on the second night. At 2am parties started forming in various rooms on our floor. The room next to mine was one of them. I called the front desk to report the noise from music, ice with beer bottles in the tub; you can hear the ice moving around with the bottles. Plus there were around 20 people in the room talking loud. It took two calls to the front desk; security did come and warn the party participants that they were making too much noise. The music went off but more people came with more beer and it was unbearable. On the second call the front desk manager said they were busy breaking up another party down the hall. It took at least 30 minutes for the hotel to break up the parties using the threat of being kicked out of the hotel. The hotel did take care of the situation but did not bother to apologies for the inconvenience, not even during check out the next morning. The maid woke me up the next morning at 09h30, which was the cherry on the cake that spoiled the day and drive up the eastern coast, after a short night’s sleep. Should the maids check with front desk too see if the guest checked out first before knocking on check out day?

I would return only if I have the points available and then some. I would rather stay in the Copley Plaza area as I did during my last visit in Boston. I had a great visit of the city Boston it’s a beautiful city.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mitchyul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We decided to take a simple overnight trip into Boston to celebrate our anniversary, and booked a night at the Marriott Long Wharf. We live on the North Shore, so we took the ferry from Salem into Boston and walked off the ferry into the Marriott. It is the first building to your left, and could not have been easier. The 45 minute ride over is fantastic and gives you quite a view of the Boston waterfront and the hotel which is built to look like a ship. There is fresh fruit on the counter as you check in, and the staff was very efficient and pleasant. We arrived a bit early, so they held our bags while we walked around the area. Lots to see since Quincy Market, the North End, and the waterfront are right there. Our room had a view of the Columbus Park, and a bit of the marina, and was very clean. We ate breakfast there the next morning. The restaurant faces the water, it was peaceful and relaxing, and the food was good as it always is at Marriott.

By taking the ferry, we avoided the hefty parking fee, $44.00. The round trip ferry ticket, for two was $48.00 and much more enjoyable way to spend the money. You don't need a car in this area, the subway is right outside the hotel, and there is so much to see in the area it may be enough. This was a great get-away.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed at the Boston Marriot Long Wharf over the 4th of July and had a wonderful time! The hotel is a short cab ride from South Station. We arrived to a busy grand hotel and my first thought was that check in was going to be long and tedious. I was wrong. They were fully staffed and we were checked in within 5 minutes. The lady behind the counter was most pleasant and helpful. She treated us as though we were her first customers of the day although I am certain by that point she had checked in at least 100 other people. She answered all of our questions and offered some useful Boston tips. Our room was facing the Aquarium and Harbor making it so we could people watch while in the comfort of our air conditioned room. We had room service and it was excellent. The food arrived on time and hot. We took in a couple of Red Sox games and took the T both times. The hotels location couldnt be better. You can get anywhere via the Subway from the Long Wharf. Take a walk to Quincy Market, its right next door as well as all the shopping you could want. There is a 711 to the left of the hotel for snacks and water and our room had a mini fridge so it worked out well. The Aquarium fills up quickly so we went over first thing on a Saturday morning and beat the crowd. It is literally right next door. We will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zachsaunt
Connectcut
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We stayed here July 20 thru 22 and had a great experience. Our room was on the concierge level which seems to be a big benefit in this hotel as the rest of the floors are open to the lobby and other reviewers noted noise echoing from the large atrium. Our room was clean and very quiet. The hotel was sold out the nights we were there but it seemed like we didn't have neighbors, also, there was no noise from the hall.

The bathroom is small and the large showerhead didn't have much presure but the hot water actually got hot and the hair dryer was very good.

The room had a nice view of the water and a park. The concierge lounge serves a nice breakfast - no hot food like waffels or pancakes but all kinds of muffins, bagels, fruit, cereal, cold cuts, yogurt, and juices. Of course they have coffee and tea all day. In the evening they put out cheese and crakers and a couple of hot dishes like chicken fingers. At night they serve dessert- chocolate cake and cheesecake. They also have a bar that you can help yourself to and the drinks are charged to your room. It has a couple of computers and two TVs. It's a nice place to meet other travelers and the staff is excellent.

The location is great for a vacation. Just ouside the front door is where the harbor cruises and whale watches leave from. The Aquarium and IMAX are steps away as are several different tours, a T stop and a Legal Sea Foods. Quincy market is across the street and the North End resturants and pastry shops are less than a half mile walk. If you take a 20 minute walk you can see a lot of histoical sites and wind up at the Boston Commons. If you want to venture a little farther, a line of cabs are always waiting outside the hotels front door.

Parking. Yes it's expensive. $44 a day when we stayed. I can't justify it but...other hotels are in the 40 dollar range anyhow. When you arrive a guy greets you and takes the car and explains the process (you can get your car anytime and it can stay until 6:00 on the day you check-out) but he needs a tip. Another guy takes your bags to the front desk (another tip). Finally a bellman brings your bags to your room (a third tip). By the time you're done tipping the parking cost gets lost in the mix. And by the way, they charge $16 for two eggs and toast if you order room service, so in the relm of things the parking isn't all that bad.

The hotel also has an indoor pool, hot tub and deck and very large gym. The pool isn't large and stays busy but my daughter had fun in it. It was a comfortable 86 degrees.

I would recommend staying here for a great Boston vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We, my husband, two kids ages 6 and 4, and I, had a very nice experience at the Boston Long Wharf the weekend of July 18. Upon check-in, we requested an upgrade and were given room 744 on the concierge level. That's what made our stay an extremely pleasant one. The front desk staff was friendly, professional, and efficient. The valets and bell hops were equally personable. Each employee we encountered was gracious and helpful.

(I stayed at this hotel a few years ago on a regular floor-- the room wasn't as nice-- I don't know if they've refurbished all rooms since then-- and the floor was quite loud b/c of the layout of the hotel. The 7th floor concierge level is the only floor with the traditional long hotel hallway. Other floors are designed around a large pyramid that rises from the lobby up.)

Room 744 is located to the left of the elevators as you exit, on the opposite end of the hall from the concierge lounge. We liked this location b/c there was not much traffic passing by our room on the way to said lounge. The room itself was very nice and perfectly clean. We had a nicely-sized room w/ 2 double beds that were very comfortable. Our view of the North End and wharf area was beautiful. The bathroom was a bit small but completely fine. The room was slighly upscale and we had no complaints. Actually-- one complaint- the a.c. was set at 70.5-- I tried to turn it down but could not.

We really appreciated and made full use of the concierge lounge, which offered nightly appetizers, desserts, drinks, and a continental breakfast. Two computers were available for guest use, and there was enough space so that it never felt crowded. The views at night were just gorgeous.

At 3 in the morning, our next-door neighbors came in drunk and were rowdy and profane. I gave them 20 minutes to quiet down before I finally called the front desk people to complain, they swiftly sent security up. I met the security officers in the hall less than 5 minutes after placing the call. They quickly solved the problem. I was impressed with the speed at which they responded.

Our kids loved the pool and outside deck area. The pool is quite small; there were 15 people in it while we were there, and it seemed crowded.

You can't beat this hotel for location. You are steps from the aquarium, across the street from Quincy Market, and a short walk to the North End for a lovely Italian meal. It's only about a 20-25 minute walk to Boston Common / Boston Garden / Newbury St. and another 15 to the Prudential Center.

We paid $44 to park for our one-night stay. We were able to keep the car in the garage until 6pm Sunday and we could have taken the car in and out if we wanted to. I think the parking rate was fair for central city overnight 24hr+.

We had a great time and would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WanderingGypsyMama
San Diego
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We were able to stay at the Long Wharf for July8-10, 2009, securing our room through Priceline. What a deal we got. The Tall Ships were in port around the waters edge making for a bustling area. The staff was efficient and exceptionally friendly. Our room was located on the N. side of the wharf, facing Christopher Columbus park and the water. Two beds, in room safe, mini fridge, Bath and Body Works amenities, complimentary newspaper, ottoman, desk, flat screen tv, granite counters, new furniture and quiet with the windows closed. The work out area was exceptional for a hotel.

The hotel is on the blue line T (which you can take from the airport), next to 2 T ferries, the Aquarium, across from Quincy Market, and a short stroll into the N.End. Since we flew into Boston we used the Link pass for $15 for 7 days. (Went to the Residence Inn for the remainder of the trip) The Marriott held our luggage the last day, we had a late flight and had to check out early in the day from the RI.
Parking downtown is expensive so factor this in. Nothing special about the lobby as the other readers have mentioned, the lower level is a throughfare and the lobby is open to tourists and others needing a clean public bathroom. The Marriott is very gracious about folks coming and going so with all the foot traffic I wouldn't spend much on my lobby either. I didn't care for the over all set up of the interior but I loved our room and the location. If you can secure a good rate at this place I would take advantage of the location and how close it is to the T (especially in poor weather) or if you really enjoy the harbor and all it's slendor.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We (my boyfriend and I of 7yrs) usually stay outside Boston, but every time we've gone into the city and walked on Long Wharf next to New England Aquarium we've been having "we need to stay there some time" moments... and we decided to finally splurge the extra money and stay here on the night of Thursday July 2, and leave on the 3rd to transfer to a cheaper hotel, as the rate skyrocketed from $169 to an absurd $279 a night for the rest of the weekend because of the 4th of July holiday (which I doubt you'd be able to see the fireworks from a room here). This hotel is in a fantastic location. It's literally beside the MBTA (Blue line) Aquarium T-stop and it sits between Christopher Columbus Park and the New England Aquarium (as well as beside the restaurant Legal Seafood’s).

We stayed in room #538 with a window facing outwards from the side of the hotel adjacent to Christopher Columbus Park with a bit of the harbor in view.

POSITIVES:
The location, truly unbeatable. You're in walking distance to many of the main tourist attractions in Boston: The Freedom Trail, New England Aquarium, Fanueil Hall, The North End's "little Italy" of Boston, etc. Now throw in the fact that the T is right next door, and that adds so much more to its convenience.

I'm a member of Marriott Rewards (but not even ranked at the Silver level for this year) and all of my requests for a King size bed, extra towels, extra foam pillows, a high floor, a refrigerator, and even commenting we'd like to be far from an elevator and have a room facing Christopher Columbus Park were met. This was the first time I've had all my requests fulfilled... to this extreme.

The front desk staff was superb! Best I've had, very friendly and cordial. (and I've stayed a several Marriott hotels in the Boston area)

When we checked in at the front desk there was a big basket out full of cookies! I'm a sucker for complimentary snacks like that and loved getting a nice white chocolate chip cookie at check-in. AND when I checked out at the front desk in the morning there was complimentary fruit so I grabbed a delicious apple as my breakfast parting gift.

The bathroom was clean. The sink was actually in the bathroom, not outside of it. My favorite part was that the shower head was adjustable so that you could change the type of spray and whether it was high or low. It also took little to no time at all for the water to heat up. AND there were complimentary cotton balls and swabs in there along with the shampoo--I've never seen that at a hotel, ever.

There was a very nice and large flat screen LCD TV in the room with great reception. HD channels actually appeared in HD.

There was a very nice view from the room of Christopher Columbus Park and the North End, especially at night. Even though it was foggy for us, the way the fog diffused the light made it seem so peaceful, and not eerie.

The architecture inside and out is pretty cool. It's designed like a boat, and one part made me feel like I was looking at the glass pyramid from the Louvre in Paris.

On the main level where you check-in there's a public restroom. And considering the short walking distance from the public city one outside that you have to pay to use, it's a nice alternative to know about--Something I personally took advantage of during the weekend of our stay after we had checked out. It was well kept too.

NEGATIVES:
Parking at the hotel is like $44~. It's high-but hey, it is in a prime location. To avoid this, we parked in the garage at the Woodland MBTA stop along the Green Line for $6 a day (the best part was, you pull a ticket and don't have to pay til you leave. There is a limit to 7 days of parking if I recall correctly though).

The in-room fridge didn't work but we wish it did. But since we only stayed one night we didn't see the use in mentioning it and just used ice... which brings me to my next point.

The ice machine was about a 10ft walk across the hall our room. It was quite loud during the night when people would use it. If some sort of noise reduction could be made to the ice area that'd be nice for future guests. But in the mean time, be aware that room #538 is within the shortest walking distance of the ice machine.

The hotel is designed like a ship with a lot of open space in the middle. It's great for amplifying and echoing the noises of the people who walked past our room. Thankfully the noises weren't very noticeable after 10pm.

The exterior architecture of the hotel is cool... but with the way it slopes on the side, it easily affects the width of the view from inside the room. While trying to take some night photos I found myself wishing I could take a sledgehammer and knock the sloped brick sections down so I could get a better shot (see my photos)

I felt a little insecure knowing that anyone could operate the elevators--regardless of having a room key. It is capable of room-key-access-only but yet it wasn't activated. This issue is slightly amplified because of the public's access to the restroom (as mentioned in the positives section).

OVERALL:
After leaving here and transferring to the much inferior Courtyard Cambridge, I found myself having to listen to my boyfriend complain for the rest of the weekend every time we ended up back by Long Wharf... "We're back where we started" and "Remind me again why we didn't stay here for the rest of the weekend? At this point I would have paid for it!" "Ohh it's so much nicer."

Point blank: We wished we could have spent our whole weekend here, and we would love to stay again! But alas, the price must be right (I don't like 100+ price hikes!)! C'mon! Let's try to be a little recession friendly, eh? The overall quality of this place is superior to a lot of places I’ve stayed. It’s definitely better than the Courtyard Cambridge, where we ended up for the rest of the holiday weekend (read that review if you must).

TIPS:
A few tips to those who are considering staying here:

1) Avoid paying high hotel parking ($44~). Park at the garage at the Woodland MBTA stop along the Green Line for $6 a day, and take the T in straight up to the Aquarium stop on the Blue line. Even though there's a limit of about 7 days, the rate is cheap and the best part was, you pull a ticket and don't have to pay til you leave.

2) Relax! And enjoy having everything at your fingertips just within a T-stop or short walking distance.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple