“Planning to go back soon”

Boston Marriott Long Wharf
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Loved this hotel. First, the location is perfect for anything you may want to do in Boston. The aquarium, harbor, Fanuel Hall , all right there. T stop also. You can easily walk to the North End, the T Garden and government center.
We had a king bed room with view of the city. The bathroom is small but I did not mind that. The room was very quiet & we slept well. Had a "cooler" refrigerator, which I liked better then one of those regular room refrigerators. Kept our water & drinks cold. Also had the in room safe. The bed stands had the stone tops which is good for putting your drinks on. The pool & spa were small but well tended. Nice balcony off the pool to just sit & watch the boats in the harbor. The workout room is quite large with lots of equipment. The lobby is very comfortable with lots of seats & couches to sit on.
The staff was great. Very friendly. We ate at the bar VERY late. They were just about to close. They serve food till 12AM. We had been to a concert & hadn't eaten. It was 11:45 & Shannon the bartender was great. Went out of her way to make sure we got everything we needed. We got a hamburg & turkey sandwich. Very good. My sandwich could have fed both of us. I actually took it up to the room because I couldn't finish it. Had such a great experience here, we are planning to come back in the fall or early winter & really enjoy a longer stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank girlyouk
Matthew M, Manager at Boston Marriott Long Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Girlyouk - thank you for the excellent review and reminding the Trip Advisor community about how great our restaurant Waterline is. We will reach out to Shannon and thank her for a job well done.

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Average rooms, friendly staff, perfect location on the wharf for the PTown ferry. I have stayed in Marriotts considered mid-level that have provided more amenities at a better rate. Agree with last reviewer about lack of benefits for those with status and status of concierge level.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank SuZenMaster
Matthew M, Manager at Boston Marriott Long Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear Susanlbinn - I appreciate the honesty in your review. Thank you for your patronage of Long Wharf and with Marriott across our organization. We aim to provide great service, in clean, comfortable rooms that are consistent with our Brand. The intensive public space renovation is just about completed and will be finished by year’s end with carpet, wall paper and wall scones replacement on our guest floors.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I just don’t get it. I continue to be amazed at the indifference Marriott is recently showing their elite guests. As a LIFETIME Platinum Elite member it seems status at Marriott means ABSOLUTELY nothing these days. This hotel is another fine example of this indifference.

This hotel was nice enough, the staff was friendly, the room was clean, but there was NOTHING in the ENTIRE hotel experience that made me feel Elite.

The room was only average at best…of course no upgrade, middle of the floor — no view, nothing at all special (even though this was requested at check in).

The so called “concierge” lounge absolutely sucks. It has become a family reunion dinning room (8 people allowed in on one room key!?) at best or perhaps the Marriot elite lounges are now being extended to those with hotel "packages" (i think so). In the evening, it was a tempting offer of messy COLD appetizers, a mini fridge with drinks (water) — it was DEPRESSING! Uggh!

At a HYATT property you actually feel that status and loyalty MEANS SOMETHING (I just stayed at the Grand Hyatt New York City).

BOTTOM LINE: If you are not an ELITE Marriott member this hotel might be a good choice. If you have Marriott elite status, your elite status means nothing. Free internet — big deal.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JKenHill
Matthew M, Manager at Boston Marriott Long Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

I wanted to first thank you very much for your e-mail and for being such loyal Marriott customers over the years. We have built a prosperous business on relationships such as yours and they are definitely appreciated and valued.

My apologies for the disappointment with us this week for the relocation of the lounge and for not having any further complimentary upgrades available beyond the Concierge Floor. We are a very unique Hotel in the Marriott organization based on three primary factors.

1. At 412 rooms we have only 15 suites (2 one bedrooms and 13 executive) – less than 4%.
2. As a category 9 property, we are seeing extraordinary occupancy levels close to 90% which is 20% higher that most Marriott properties and significantly higher than even our completive set here in downtown Boston. It is also the reason why at 45,000 points the Rewards Redemption is also amongst the highest in the company.
3. We see a tremendous amount of Gold and Platinum Rewards members on a daily basis, some days we have in excess of 200 staying overnight with us.

This week in particular is a very heavily traveled week for our very best clients like yourself. In years past the very large numbers necessitate us to relocate the Concierge Lounge so that the experience is a good one compared with the alternative we have experienced in previous years. We relocated the lounge the first time in 2013 with much improved results. I can assure you that the Lounge isn’t open for all guests or those on a package rate. We have been checking all guests off a guest manifest to ensure it remains a special place for our Gold and Platinum guests, many of which have 2 and 3 rooms (explaining the large groups of families travelling together this week). I am sorry for your disappointment here, the feedback from many other special guests this week has been very favorable.

I know this doesn’t necessarily change what happened or your dissatisfaction with us, but I hope it explains a little bit more in detail the variables and intricacies at play during your stay.

Additionally please feel free to contact me personally should you ever return to Boston, so that I can personally look after the details of your stay and provide every courtesy at my disposal.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Whether it's business or pleasure. Attending a conference or visiting family, we always stay at the Long Wharf when we can. The location is right on the waterfront across from Faneuil Hall, your right there in the North End, the Boston Aquarium is right next door about 200 yards away, and you can catch all the water tours right outside the hotel that you want. You walk right out front 50 feet away and catch the "T", the underground transportation, so you can go anywhere you want in the entire city of Boston. Cambridge, MIT, Arlington, anywhere you want to go. Nothing to stop you. Like I said, the location is everything.

Plus, aside from the location, the hotel employees are always friendly and meet all your needs no matter what. All you have to do is ask. The Bar has fantastic cocktail's, and Bartender's are very friendly and make you feel at home. You'll be greeted by smiles by everyone working at the hotel restaurant Waterline, and the food is incredible. Get a bowl of the New England Chowder because it has won awards against other Boston restaurants and is Delicious..... :) The rooms are clean, and updated and all have a view one way or another.

This won't be the cheapest hotel to stay at, but because of it's location and options for getting around the city, you have everything at your finger tips.

Room Tip: Request a room with a bay view. You want to be out towards the water or Chart House Restaurant (whi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank R_Ford_949
Matthew M, Manager at Boston Marriott Long Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear R_Ford_949 - I appreciate the review and some great "insider tips" not only for the Hotel, but also the city. I will share your positive thoughts on the food in Waterline with our Culinary Team. I look forward to seeing you back with us soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here and loved it! We were able to get a great rate with our AAA discount. The location is PERFECT for everything you want to do on vacation. The hotel is very clean and the staff is more than friendly. The concierge desk was very helpful. We stopped by for tips, directions, tickets, reservations, and more. We utilized the Marriot app and were able to check in early and check out easily. Coming into the city from the airport we took a land taxi-which was around $40.00 of torture. Leaving we decided to take the "T" Blue line for $5.00 and got to the airport quickly and easily. If we get the chance we'll stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Chasnas
Victor A, General Manager at Boston Marriott Long Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to see you took advantage of our Concierge Services. They really do know the city of Boston and have a wealth of knowledge. I will be sure to pass along your comments and thank them for a job well done. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

This hotel charges Ritz Carlton prices without the quality of Ritz Carlton. The room was fine, but for $350+ per night, I thought it was a little crazy. It wasn't the sticker shock of the dollar amount itself, moreso that I was paying it at a Marriott. We typically stay in very nice hotels but this was our only option. Never paid that much at a Marriott in my entire life!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kp8334

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations based on the rate that you paid. June is typically a busy time in Boston and we do position our rates according to the market. Perhaps the next time you visit, the rates will be more attractive. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Meeting my husband after work in the city for a concert at Fenway Park and with the short distance from South Station, the Boston Marriott Long Wharf was the perfect choice. The speedy check-in gave us enough time to grab dinner before the concert. A quick cab ride back following the concert allowed for a night cap at Waterline, the on site restaurant and lounge. Our room overlooking Boston harbor started off a beautiful day in the city touring parts of the Freedom Trail with a stop at Mike's Pastry in the North End. Friendly service from check-in to valet guarantees a return visit to the Boston Marriott Long Wharf.

Room Tip: I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have been happy with every room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at Boston Marriott Long Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear Marie M - Thank you for your continued patronage and excellent review of the Marriott Long Wharf. Looks like you made the most of the overnight in town – concert at Fenway, the Freedom Trail and even a stop at the Famous Mike’s Pastry. I can't wait to welcome you back.