“A bureaucratic nightmare of a hotel that only Franz Kafka could love.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton Square, New Jersey
“A bureaucratic nightmare of a hotel that only Franz Kafka could love.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

I'll say up front that my room was very comfortable and clean, and there were no problems that would inspire me to implore you to cancel your reservations and find another place to stay. The location of the hotel is also wonderful--there is a supermarket across the street and it is connected to two shopping malls that provide many shopping and dining options. It is also accessible by both the Green and Orange T lines.

That said, I have to say this was the most unpleasant four-star hotel stay I've ever had. I went with a group of people from work for a conference, and each manager had three rooms reserved on her corporate credit card. We all checked in together, and even though I asked the (very bored, very nonchalant) desk clerk to put my Marriott card on my room for incidentals, he did not bother to register me or my other colleague as guests of the hotel--all three rooms were registered in the name of the person whose credit card paid for the room. Subsequently when my key card got demagnetized the next day. the clerk demanded that the one registered guest accompany me to the desk and show her id before they would issue me new keys! Unfortunately, she had contracted food poisoning from eating at Champions Sports Bar in the hotel the night before, and couldn't leave her room, let alone come to the front desk. The clerk finally had to have a security guard accompany me to my room and I had to recite the contents of my room before I could gain admittance--and even then, I could not get a new key card until the next day when my colleague's condition improved and she could visit the desk. No one apologized for the inconvenience, and instead multiple staff members scolded me for not registering myself as a guest!!!

On the day we were scheduled to check out, many people in our group were attending a symposium that ended 30 minutes before checkout time, and when they got back to their rooms their keys had already been deactivated and they could not get their luggage. By that time there was a huge line at the front desk and again, a security guard had to accompany them to their rooms and let them in to their rooms.

I think the most annoying thing about this hotel (if there is anything more annoying than food poisoning) is the double bank of incredibly slow, overburdened elevators that service floors 1-27. We regularly waited up to 10 minutes to take the elevators during the day, which is maddening when you are attending a convention and need to run upstairs during breaks. I would definitely recommend requesting a high floor, because the single bank that served the upper floors was much faster.

I have many concerns about the security of a hotel that allows unregistered people to occupy its rooms; I also wonder about the safety of such a system, and worry about how they would account for guests in the event of a fire or other emergency. I suppose in that situation they would just shrug and say it was the guests' fault, and not their problem. But if you don't mind making the extra effort to deal with a hotel that doesn't care about you or your comfort and safety, and you can get a good rate here, I guess I would say go for it. Just try to get a high floor and don't eat at the sports bar.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank develbow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

Spent a long weekend in Boston and having previously stayed downtown we decided to try the Back Bay for a change, and to give us better access to Fenway Park - go Red Sox !!

The hotel was pretty much what you'd expect from a Marriott - we had a nice corner room on the 20th floor which gave us some great views over the city. The room was maybe a bit smaller than you sometime get, but was nicely furnished, clean and had all the usual amenities you'd expect - albeit it with the usual charges you expect at a Marriott ($6 for a bottle of water from Fiji - hmmm, I'll say no more, $13 for the wifi etc.) Pleasant staff, both in the bar and on the front desk.

What else ? Champions Sports Bar which had a great variety of beers and enough TV screens to give your square eyes, square eyes; and had a good atmosphere, especially for the Sox game we didn't have tickets for. Nice fitness centre and pool on the 5th floor - where we ran off the excesses of the weekend. We only took breakfast at the hotel which was fine - other dining looked the usual standard fare at the standard inflated prices, but there's also plenty of dining choices close to hand, including a Legal Seafoods in the Pru Centre.

The hotel's in a great location - we'd never stayed in the Back Bay before - Copley T station is 5 mins walk, Prudential T is even closer but you get fewer trains esp in the evening so walking to Copley usually saves time. Some nice upscale shops in the two malls that the Marriott is directly connected to. A conveinient grocery store across the street for some proper tea and milk for the room (Brits abroad !). Duck tours pick up directly across the road.

All in all a good stay and probably a banker for a return stay. I'm just glad you don't need a car in Boston because I always get riled about paying silly amounts for parking - and here it's $42 a night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SURREYCELT
isherwood61
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

My son and I stayed at Copley Place Marriott for a weekend in order to attend a Sox game and see Boston. We walked to and from Fenway, which takes about 20 minutes one way. The room was nice, the amenities were up to the Marriott standards I've come to rely upon.

There was a small professional conference happening that weekend, which caused some delays on the elevators. The fitness center is very nice and included with room price. The pool is very small, only about 10 strokes per lap for an adult.

Our room had a small fridge, though we did not use it. Only glitch was a hair dryer that was almost worn out.

Both the Boston Ducks Tours and Old Town Trolley stop out front; both are worthwhile.

The hotel is connected by enclosed pedestrian bridge to the shops at Prudential Center, which has a very nice food court and a Barnes and Noble.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank isherwood61
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed 4 nights. Asked for early check in, high floor, king bed, away from elevator with feather pillows. Got the early check in with a king bed but was a handicap room near the elevator and on a mid-level floor. Room was very tiny; was glad coffe maker was in closet since I don't drink coffee and needed the space. TV was good with many channel options. Room does not come with a fridge; comes with a "cooler" which they say means will keep your items the same temp it goes in as. It doesn't. Called and asked for a fridge; was sent another cooler. On the next attempt I received a fridge that looked like it was beat up (but worked). But had to let it sit on the floor of the tiny room. Room was kept clean for the most part although with it being so small it was that difficult. Shower pressure was minimal but I will admit I am picky. Also had a problem on Sunday with the room not being cleaned until 4:30 pm.

Workout area is nice and offers a variety of things to work with. Also having individual TV's with head phones makes it nice not to have to listen to everyone around you. The pool is very small - maybe 10 feet wide with half of it roped off ofr 2 lap lanes. Put some kids in it and the pool gets even smaller.

9 elevators with 3 dedicated to the really high floors (hotle has 35 floors). 6 elevators go to the rest of the floors so it's not that the elevators are slow, it's just that they are constantly in use although it appeared that some elevators were never in service.

Location is awesome if you don't mind 5 - 25 minutes to things which we didn't. Plenty of shopping, places to eat, Fenway, sight seeing, and the theaters all within walking distance. If going to Bank of America place on the waterfront for a concert, you need to take a taxi (about $15).

Concierge was helpful with ideas and directions.

Internet access is $12.95 a day. if you only need to check a website or two or check emails, go the UPS Business center and pay fifty-nine (.59) cents per minute.

Like Sports? Champions is a great place to have drinks and watch some games; appetizers are good and reasonable in price. Open late so nice to come back and watch some West coast games at the end of the night. During the weekdays because of construction going on, the place is fairly empty because of the noise.

If you are paying full price ($200 plus) you can probably find someplace around the block that will be as good or better. If you get a good rate like I was able to get (less than $150 AAA), then youshould consider staying here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tbuddy718
Adirondack, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Cleanliness: As with most Marriott properties that I have stayed at, this is a very clean hotel. Considering the renovations going on, the hotel was kept in great shape and dust free. Our room was generally clean overall and no problems there.

Location: One of the best locations and centrally located to put you in the middle of everything to do in Boston. Within a short walk to Fenway Park, a few steps to the Duck Tour pickup, and easy access to subway system which will take you anywhere thoughough the city. You can take a short walk and pick up the freedom trail or just lounge around Boston Common...about 10-15 minute walk.

Service: Didn't utilize service other than check-in/check-out but they were relatively efficient; no problems with the staff.

Rooms;Value: We expect more for a $250-$300 / night hotel. There are more amenities in small mom and pop hotels than this one offered. No in-room refridgerator. I had to go down a floor just to get ice. Our room was next to the elevator and we could hear the elevator going up and down all night. Instead of two queen-sized beds, they have two regular beds, which is cramped for two average sized people. There was no internet access unless you want to pay an additional $12.95/day. If I don't get internet, then what does my $300 cover??

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
La Jolla
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

Room is VERY BELOW expectation for a Marriott 6 stars. Location is superb esp without car. I would stay at Courtyard just across the street if I were to pay myself, their rooms were MUCH tasteful. Very disappointed front desk reception. - from a Platinum Elite member

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

This hotel is what you would expect from the chain. I was somewhat disappointed by the renovations going on when I stayed there, but the hotel itself was fine. It is very conveniently connected to plenty of shops and restaurants. It was fine for the conference I attended. If I were in Boston to go to Cambridge or wanted to tour the historic areas, I would stay elsewhere. If you have business close to the hotel, it is fine.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business