“Stay away!”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Look, this is an OK hotel, in an OK neighborhood. Breakfast is incredibly overpriced ($23 for scrambled eggs w/hash browns, coffee, and OJ). But worse than that, the elevators don't work. I am staying on the eighth floor, and I waited ten minutes at a bank of six elevators to get one down to the lobby. Finally, I decided to take the stairs. They didn't feel safe, and I could only get as far as the third floor, since the street-level exit was alarmed. There is one elevator in particular that bobs up and down - about six inches in either direction - WHILE THE DOORS ARE OPEN! There's also an HVAC problem as I can't turn off the cool air in the bathroom, the hallways are freezing, and I have my thermostat set to 80 degrees and still shiver. Save yourself a headache and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Rowena K, Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the Marriott Guest Satisfaction Survey via Social Media.

I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback. I want to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. Your concerns have been shared with all departments involved. We place great importance on “Making it Brilliant” for all of our guests. I assure you the Boston Marriott Copley Place values your patronage.

Once again, on behalf of the entire Copley Marriott team please except our sincere apology.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,380)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were warmly welcomed to the Marriott. Our room was bright and spacious. Wi-fi was available, free of charge, in certain areas of the hotel. There was direct access to the subway, which means a lot on a cold or wet day. The hotel also has direct access to shopping malls, cafés, and the Prudential Tower, with its amazing views and information centre on the 50th floor.
We enjoyed some tasty evening meals in the Champions restaurant, on floor 2 of the hotel. The chicken with rice and steamed broccoli was especially delicious, and very reasonable. We found the number of tv screens a little overpowering though! There was,however, a lounge area beside the restaurant, where you could enjoy a quiet drink.
As others have mentioned, the elevators were sometimes slow to arrive. This happened at peak times however, when there was huge demand. Otherwise they were fine.
I will definitely be recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed at the Boston marriott the week of the snow storm in February.
The hotel itself had a nice foyer and was located on a main road so easy to get to. Parking was a bit pricey though.
I was checked in and I went up to my room which was a good size with a lovely view of Boston. The bed was certainly comfortable but I was in an accessible room which meant that it was close to the lifts which were a bit noisy at times.
Whilst at the hotel I used the breakfast option once but found it was very overpriced for what was available which was a disappointment.
The hotel gym was very well equipped and I used it everyday. I especially liked the treadmill as it allowed you to play a video of a running route while you used it.
Due to the storm the conference facilities were also used due to us not being able to leave the hotel, these were adequate and fit for purpose.

Room Tip: Try not to be too close to the lifts (elevators)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Long weekend stay here. Clean but small room with the snail elevators that everyone comments on. Too busy Starbucks and overpriced breakfast buffet but many options for food nearby like Shaws across the street. Very clean and friendly staff with large upscale mall attached via walkway. Odd no fan in bathrooms and sliding door that did not close well. I found the mattress too soft for my taste. Great city view on top floors. Kudos to concierge Franco(?) for all his help and advice and nice to have Trolley Tours right on site. Kind of weird that Xmas decorations were still in lobby doors @ end of March though. Very clean and busy and great location in a great city!! Fitness room was well done and nice pool. Free area to print out airline boarding pass too.

Room Tip: Mattress was soft/
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2014

The room, while small was extremely clean and comfortable. The bed was fabulous and we had a great night's sleep (which is unusual for me in a hotel). Great location and excellent service! The elevators were just fine (I noticed some complaints on line about the elevators).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I stayed here three nights at the end of March 2014; she was attending a convention at the hotel and I was seeing the sights. We have stayed at other Marriotts and many seem to have elevator problems; TImes Square NY being the worst. These elevators have quite handsome cabs but can be slow; on the 17th floor - and the hotel goes to the mid 30's - be prepared for a more than occasional wait.
The room was pleasant and had all the standard amenitities. The health club is quite good; lots of equipment and even a pool. The restaurant is the worst part; the first morning, the hostess sat me in a almost desserted room and when I finally found someone for service, he asked why I was there - they were closed. We never attenpted to eat in the hotel again except for the Starbucks which seems to do a great business. And there are so many good restaurants in Boston, one does not need this oversized sports bar for meals.

Boston is a great walking city and this central location allows one to go in a directions; I walked to ICA, MFA, and the Gardner with ease.

Room Tip: Our odd-numbered room on the 17th floor did not have an "exciting" view; I think the even...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014

They failed to clean the room. They simply forgot! The room was noisy, smallish, and cramped. When I told desk at check out, it was like "oh, that's too bad". No apology. Wow...

They screwed up the reservation. Had to check in twice.

The elevators? SNAIL SLOW. I must have waited over 5 minutes for an elevator.

Ordered an $18 salad at the restaurant. It was just a bunch of iceberg lettuce with a few little shrimp.

Overall, I really dislike being charged $15 a day for Internet service in my room. If that policy doesn't change soon, I'm done with Marriott (I'm not Gold member).

It was so bad I just checked out and went to a different Boston hotel, which was like going from night to day.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JoshLang
Rowena K, Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Mr. Lang:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey via Social Media and for sharing your experience.

I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory. I appreciate your candid feedback. I assure you that all of your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments including the restaurant pertaining to your meal.

We encourage customer feedback to assist us in continuing to be committed to providing you and all of our customers with the highest standards of service in the industry.

Thank you again for taking sharing your comments with us. Your patronage of Marriott Hotels and Resorts is appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.