“Typical Marriott Hotel - Great Location”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I stayed here three nights at the end of March 2014; she was attending a convention at the hotel and I was seeing the sights. We have stayed at other Marriotts and many seem to have elevator problems; TImes Square NY being the worst. These elevators have quite handsome cabs but can be slow; on the 17th floor - and the hotel goes to the mid 30's - be prepared for a more than occasional wait.
The room was pleasant and had all the standard amenitities. The health club is quite good; lots of equipment and even a pool. The restaurant is the worst part; the first morning, the hostess sat me in a almost desserted room and when I finally found someone for service, he asked why I was there - they were closed. We never attenpted to eat in the hotel again except for the Starbucks which seems to do a great business. And there are so many good restaurants in Boston, one does not need this oversized sports bar for meals.

Boston is a great walking city and this central location allows one to go in a directions; I walked to ICA, MFA, and the Gardner with ease.

Room Tip: Our odd-numbered room on the 17th floor did not have an "exciting" view; I think the even...

Reviewed March 30, 2014

They failed to clean the room. They simply forgot! The room was noisy, smallish, and cramped. When I told desk at check out, it was like "oh, that's too bad". No apology. Wow...

They screwed up the reservation. Had to check in twice.

The elevators? SNAIL SLOW. I must have waited over 5 minutes for an elevator.

Ordered an $18 salad at the restaurant. It was just a bunch of iceberg lettuce with a few little shrimp.

Overall, I really dislike being charged $15 a day for Internet service in my room. If that policy doesn't change soon, I'm done with Marriott (I'm not Gold member).

It was so bad I just checked out and went to a different Boston hotel, which was like going from night to day.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
1  Thank JoshLang
Rowena K, Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Mr. Lang:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey via Social Media and for sharing your experience.

I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory. I appreciate your candid feedback. I assure you that all of your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments including the restaurant pertaining to your meal.

We encourage customer feedback to assist us in continuing to be committed to providing you and all of our customers with the highest standards of service in the industry.

Thank you again for taking sharing your comments with us. Your patronage of Marriott Hotels and Resorts is appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I was here for a conference and the room was just ok. The elevators were a constant problem. I was on the 9th floor and many times waiting more than 10 minutes and you could here the elevator say it was full and would pass.Luckily I could take the stairs as i wan't very high up but the stairs aren't really set up for guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JohnR3924YC, Front Office Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for sharing your comments.

I am sorry that the pace of the elevators caused you inconveniences. We are currently engaged in an elevator modernization project which, when complete, will provide our guests with one of the most advanced and efficient systems in the Boston area. Meanwhile, there may be times in which they are slower then nomal and I apologize for that inconvenience.

Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel was very nice and very convenient. The people were wonderful. The elevators however were extremely slow. Many times, we waived more than 10 minutes to get an elevator up or down to.from the 22nd floor.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

We come to Boston often, and till we bought our condo at Beacon Hill, we stayed at many different hotels around Boston Common. We have found Marriott consistently deliver the best value in room quality, services. I came to close the sales of our place I booked a room at the hotel with a flight hotel combination. When the front desk staff found out we were platinum members in the rewards program, he upgraded us to the concierge floor even though he did not have too as we bought our room through a third party. The corner king room is great, service and hotel location are both excellent. No wonder when we travel the world we try to stay at Marriott as often as possible!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your kind remarks following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you were recognized as one of our valued Rewards members and that you enjoyed the corner king room.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you choose our hotel again during your next visit to the Boston area.

All the best.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Our family stayed here mid March 2104.

As an intown hotel, I was afraid the rooms would be tiny but they are a fine size, with good amenities. Bustling lobby and great location in the heart of the city created a fun,energetic atmosphere.

We enjoyed the excellent access to the shops and restaurants in the Prudential Center each evening. We were tired from full days of college visits so appreciated not having to go outside or wander far for very good family dining.

We encountered no problems with the elevators, eventhough because of upgrades they had one elevator out of service. We were on a high floor but never waitied more than 3-4 minutes.

We encountered service staff a few times in the hall and they were very cheerful and helpful.

We enjoyed the busy sports bar in the hotel lobby to catch a few NCAA games one evening and appreciated the very busy but manageable Starbucks in the lobby.

Excellent location for the T, lots of cab help from the bellman, and directions and advice from the concierge. Will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank addie37
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We are platinum elite, and had to wait 2 hours for our room to be ready, even though we had requested early check in. The room was supposed to be an upgraded room because of the view, but was very small, with a small bathroom that had a pocket door. Not what you would expect from the Marriott. . The toilet broke the 2nd day, and although they fixed it right away, it was an inconvience. The next day the carpet was wet and I believe there was some type of problem with our room, because the engineer was closing it off to perform some type of service, which we never did find out what it was.. Two out of the four elevators were being serviced, so it was very slow getting anywhere from the 30th floor. Also, wee could hear the elevators all night long, since we were near the elevator maintenance room. The front desk gave us extra points for the problems and dissatisfaction, but would have rather had a nicer room. The concierge lounge was great, and the personnel was very helpful. We have been in Marriotts all over the world, and this was not up to par with the others.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevators, and when you go into a room that you are not happy with, call the fron...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JohnR3924YC, Front Office Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your last stay with us.

Even tough every possible effort is made to assist our guests in receiving early check ins, they are based on whomever checks in first. Being a convention hotel, it is possible that when you arrived large numbers of guests had already checked in and were waiting ahead of you. I am sorry that this was an inconvenience.

I have shared your comments with my staff and steps are being taken to correct the matters you listed.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to further discuss your stay.

Thank you for staying with us.