“Convenient Location, Pleasant Experience”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 3, 2011

My friends and I only stayed for one weekend night for an evening out on the town but our stay was a pleasant one and we will definitely find ourselves back here again in the future. We requested a room on a high floor, preferably with larger square footage, and were given the handicapped accessible room on the top floor. We were also informed up-front that the room does not have a tub but that was an acceptable trade-off for us. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the room smelled fresh. The decor was nothing memorable but seeing as to how we weren't there to sit in our hotel room, it wasn't really an issue.

Hotel management here is above average. We had to change rooms after finding out that a water main leak had affected the entire floor (water was coming out brown from the sink and shower) and they gave us an identical room a few floors down along with compensatory gift vouchers for the buffet breakfast the next morning, which was excellent.

The gym/pool on the 5th floor was an added bonus. The fitness equipment was new and well maintained with every cardio machine equipped with its own personal tv monitor (you can obtain a complimentary headset from the onsite attendant). The pool is comparatively small and overrun with children (maybe this was a weekend thing) but the whirlpool was nice and large.

Location-wise, you can't beat this hotel. It is connected to the Prudential Center and Copley Square (shopping & eating to your heart's content) and only a few blocks away from Newbury Street. It's also about a 1 mile walk to Fenway Park ($6 cab ride) and the surrounding Boston area bar/club scene.

Parking tip: Parking overnight at the Marriott will run you $44 but if you park at the Prudential Center next door and print out the parking coupon from their website, it will only cost you $25 for 24 hours.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sway76
Write a ReviewReviews (3,314)

Reviewed April 3, 2011

First I must add that the location of this hotel pretty much sells itself. It is right in the heart of the Copley Square neighborhood, which has tons of eateries, and touristy attractions. The Copley Marriott is among the large Marriott properties I have stayed at including the Marriott Marquis in New York, the World Center in Florida, and the Wardman Park Marriott in Washington DC. Although the staff were excellent from the front desk to the events side of the operation, I would have to say that the lines at check-in were just absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!! I waited for what felt like twenty or so minutes until I actually approached the desk to check into my room, which is just unacceptable for a hotel this size! When I finally approached the desk, the gentleman was very warm, attentive, apologetic and accommodating. He upgraded me to a corner king on the 38th floor overlooking the Charles River which was an absolutely beautiful view/room!! The room was very well cleaned and appointed, and as usual, the bed was extremely comfortable. Thankfully, I handled all of my transactions with the front desk either very early in the morning or late at night, because as I would walk through the lobby for my meetings, there was almost always a line. As I mentioned before, the service at the hotel, once you actually reach a member of the staff is excellent, but you will have to wait in a line.... Overall, I did enjoy my stay, and I will return again, but I may choose sometime during the end of the year when it probably isn't that busy.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TrusyTravelor
Reviewed March 20, 2011

This hotel was awful. The lobby is loud. It stunk like beer because of the sports bar attached to it. I can't even believe that there isn't wireless internet. I have a MacBook Air, so I couldn't plug it into the antiquated modem they had set up. There are no blackout curtains in the room, so I was up promptly at 7 this morning. The elevators took forever, and if you were going down you had to stop at least 3-4 times to pick up more people.

I haven't stayed at a Marriott in years, and I won't be staying at another one any time soon. What a horrible experience. The room was clean. That was about the only thing I was pleased with.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I guess I just expected a lot more from a Marriott. No complimentary breakfast. No wifi (seriously, what is up with that, it is 2010). There was a coffee maker in our room, but it was missing the cup that you put the coffee pod in. We left a note for the cleaning service that we needed another coffee pot, but they didn't replace it. Beds were uncomfortable. The room was clean, and we never had a problem with noise, but that was about the only good thing. Also, the location was very convenient for us.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Property is in good shape, well-kept. Great elevators! No kidding, fast, minimal time wasted waiting. Breakfast served in dark, awkward rooms used as a "sports bar" at night. As the sports channels have nothing to do all morning, informercials for penis enlargement pills were displayed to all, fortunately, in Spanish. The terrace on the same landing would be much more pleasant.
Quiet hotel, and connection to the mall by aerial passage kept me out of the freezing weather.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We were a large party, 4 older teenagers, 2 young children between age 8-11, 4 adults (3 were women). We had a 2 room suite and adjoining 2 bed room (this room was handicapped with no tub).

Positives:
*Comfortable beds!
*Staff very receptive and accommodating to requests, from extra towels, linens and just trying to figure out how to get to where we needed to go. Even the staff handling our bags were fabulous.
*Concierge level amazing with offerings.
*Connected to the Prudential and over 300 shops.
*Valet parking.
*Amazing view of the Charles River and Hancock Building.
*I will certainly stay here again.
*Lots of closet space.
*T to Prudentail vs Copley stop so you can stay inside vs walking outside.

Neutrals:
*Small bathrooms with sink in the bathroom. Though functional, despite several women and girls having to get ready at the same time.
*First fridge smelled like sour milk and made all our snacks and beverage smell. Though a replacement was obtained quickly.
*Housekeeping overly wanting to get into our room. We put up the do not disturb sign our second night.
*No table and chairs in living room area.

Negatives:
*Valet parking cost $44 a night.
*Torn wallpaper in adjoining room bathroom.
*Not warned about handicapped room.
*Biggest pet peave - hallway filled with dishes, etc throughout each day of our stay (3 days). These were not picked up until later in the night, I would say after eight pm. I think this should have been monitored better. One night it was an awful site to see the number of dishes in the hallway, especially when our breakfast dishes were in the hallway later in the evening.
*The pool looks like it's picture on the Marriott website, except the view is not the same as the picture - they must have photoshopped the buildings. The picture view from the pool was an exciting one for us, but the reality was nothing like the picture on the website - I think this was very deceiving by Marriott. The view from the 32nd floor was amazing and worth staying in our room for and having a few drinks.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We really enjoyed the location of this hotel. We found the rooms to be average at best. We were on a club floor as I traveled with an elite marriott rewards member. Arranged a massage at the hotel from the fitness center. Totally overpriced and way below average service. Don't waste your time or money. The hotel was simply average and there is nothing memorable about it. However, if the price is right I would stay again due to its location.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends